Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Re: CF dying?

Re: CF dying?

Doug Jewell

Neil Harrington wrote:

> I've seen this complaint before, but for the life of me I don't understand
> how that can happen. The CF card should be precisely guided by the slot onto
> the pins, and I don't see how you could make it do otherwise even if you
> deliberately tried to. Unless those card readers just weren't designed or
> made properly.

Likewise it's got me stumped how people do it. I don't have
a CF camera anymore, but never had trouble when I did, and
for quite a while I was using CF cards as temporary storage
(like thumb drives), because the main computers I used had
CF readers, and I had a bunch of CF cards. Never had a problem.

But when I was in the camera retail trade, it was a
never-ending source of dramas. Seemed to be pretty much
every week we'd have someone bring in their camera in with a
bent pin. Despite the fact we sold more Canon & Sony CF
cameras than Nikon CF cameras (because at the time the
entire Canon & Sony range were CF, whereas it was only D200
and higher in the Nikon), we had more Nikons with this than
anything else. Next came Canon, and Sony came a distant 3rd,
and surprisingly their repair costs were the lowest. Can't
say I ever saw an Olympus with the problem, but we didn't
sell very many of them.

Repair costs ranged from about $300 to $600AUS, so it wasn't
a cheap fix. The manufacturers always refused to do it under
warranty, and of course it was us the humble retailer that
copped the flack from the customer over it. Try telling a
customer who bought a D3 off you last week, that their
$7.5k(AUS) camera now needs to be sent away for 3 weeks, and
it will cost them approx $500 to get it fixed. Did I mention
I hate Nikon?

I never heard of any problems with card readers - perhaps
because they were cheap people just threw them away instead
of trying to return them.

Like you, I have no idea how someone manages to get bent
pins, but somehow lots of people do.

--
The Australian Labor Party couldn't run a pay dunny. They'd
have a queue half a mile long, and no-one on the seat.

Doug Jewell

Ron Hunter wrote:
> Doug Jewell wrote:
>> Neil Harrington wrote:
>>
>>> I've seen this complaint before, but for the life of me I don't
>>> understand how that can happen. The CF card should be precisely
>>> guided by the slot onto the pins, and I don't see how you could make
>>> it do otherwise even if you deliberately tried to. Unless those card
>>> readers just weren't designed or made properly.

>> Likewise it's got me stumped how people do it. I don't have a CF
>> camera anymore, but never had trouble when I did, and for quite a
>> while I was using CF cards as temporary storage (like thumb drives),
>> because the main computers I used had CF readers, and I had a bunch of
>> CF cards. Never had a problem.
>>
>> But when I was in the camera retail trade, it was a never-ending
>> source of dramas. Seemed to be pretty much every week we'd have
>> someone bring in their camera in with a bent pin. Despite the fact we
>> sold more Canon & Sony CF cameras than Nikon CF cameras (because at
>> the time the entire Canon & Sony range were CF, whereas it was only
>> D200 and higher in the Nikon), we had more Nikons with this than
>> anything else. Next came Canon, and Sony came a distant 3rd, and
>> surprisingly their repair costs were the lowest. Can't say I ever saw
>> an Olympus with the problem, but we didn't sell very many of them.
>>
>> Repair costs ranged from about $300 to $600AUS, so it wasn't a cheap
>> fix. The manufacturers always refused to do it under warranty, and of
>> course it was us the humble retailer that copped the flack from the
>> customer over it. Try telling a customer who bought a D3 off you last
>> week, that their $7.5k(AUS) camera now needs to be sent away for 3
>> weeks, and it will cost them approx $500 to get it fixed. Did I
>> mention I hate Nikon?
>>
>> I never heard of any problems with card readers - perhaps because they
>> were cheap people just threw them away instead of trying to return them.
>>
>> Like you, I have no idea how someone manages to get bent pins, but
>> somehow lots of people do.
>>> I still have several cameras that use CF cards (just recently bought
>>> a brand new D200 in fact), and I've never had any problem with any of
>>> them.
>>>

> Lots of people subscribe to the old adage:
> Don't force it, get a bigger hammer. If the card doesn't go in easily,
> they use more force.

True. Reminds me of one of the bigger idiots who crossed my
path whilst in the camera retail trade. Idiot came in and
asked for an SD card for his camera. I noticed that in his
hand was a Kodak DC3400, the same model as my first digital
camera (very good camera BTW). I asked if he was buying for
that camera and yes he was, so I told him he'd need a CF
card, not an SD card. He didn't believe me, so I asked for
the camera, flipped open the door and showed him the size of
the slot, while at the same time holding a CF and an SD card
in my hand - To anyone with half a brain it would be obvious
that the CF card was the same size as the hole, and the SD
card was much much smaller. Anyway, he ended up buying the
CF card, but was muttering under his breath that he still
didn't believe me. I offered to put it in for him but that
wouldn't be necessary and off he went.
About 5 minutes later I'm on a phone call and Mr Idiot walks
in yelling and swearing that I sold him the wrong card, he
sees I'm on the phone, and pushed down the hangup button!!
He shoved the camera under my face and said that it was the
wrong card because the door doesn't even close now. One look
told me he had shoved it in the wrong way. But he had shoved
it in so hard that I couldn't remove it. Got a pair of
pliers and managed to pull it out after applying a LOT of
force. Under Mr Idiots nose, I turned the card around,
inserted it properly, closed the door and showed it to him
working, then gave him a telling off over hanging up the phone.