Velocity Reviews - Computer Hardware Reviews

Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > IE8 won't give up being default

Reply
Thread Tools

IE8 won't give up being default

 
 
zvn[]teq[7]
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      05-23-2009
Hi,

After doing a reset to IE8's defaults in Vista Sp1, it made it my
default browser as an effect, I went to changing the default browser
back to K-Meleon, tried to make it Opera, the icon changed at the top of
the start menu, yet links that I used to click in a usenet post (using
TB) and would only open with kmeleon, will only open with that
godawefully slow IE8 (Thanks Micrsoft for your "Important" update... :/

Anyway of reigning in control of my browser situation?

Thanks
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
joevan
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      05-23-2009
On Sat, 23 May 2009 18:26:12 -0400, "zvn[]teq[7]"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Hi,
>
>After doing a reset to IE8's defaults in Vista Sp1, it made it my
>default browser as an effect, I went to changing the default browser
>back to K-Meleon, tried to make it Opera, the icon changed at the top of
>the start menu, yet links that I used to click in a usenet post (using
>TB) and would only open with kmeleon, will only open with that
>godawefully slow IE8 (Thanks Micrsoft for your "Important" update... :/
>
>Anyway of reigning in control of my browser situation?
>
>Thanks

Go back to IE 7.
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
zvn[]teq[7]
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      05-24-2009
****ing in COLA Hen House wrote:
> zvn[]teq[7] wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> After doing a reset to IE8's defaults in Vista Sp1, it made it my
>> default browser as an effect, I went to changing the default browser
>> back to K-Meleon, tried to make it Opera, the icon changed at the top
>> of the start menu, yet links that I used to click in a usenet post
>> (using TB) and would only open with kmeleon, will only open with that
>> godawefully slow IE8 (Thanks Micrsoft for your "Important" update... :/
>>
>> Anyway of reigning in control of my browser situation?
>>

>
> You moron, why don't you learn how to drive? Why don't you take control
> stupid by going to Control Panel/Default Programs/Associate Protocol
> like HTTP or HTTPS to a Program like the browser you want stupid and be
> done with it.
>
> It's either that or get your dumbass out from behind the wheel.


I tried that just now but it only offers to choose between FF or IE even
though I have other browsers installed.

Now what do I do...?
 
Reply With Quote
 
Fred
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      05-24-2009

"zvn[]teq[7]" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:gv9t5r$gsa$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi,
>
> After doing a reset to IE8's defaults in Vista Sp1, it made it my default
> browser as an effect, I went to changing the default browser back to
> K-Meleon, tried to make it Opera, the icon changed at the top of the start
> menu, yet links that I used to click in a usenet post (using TB) and would
> only open with kmeleon, will only open with that godawefully slow IE8
> (Thanks Micrsoft for your "Important" update... :/
>
> Anyway of reigning in control of my browser situation?


Control panel/add or remove programs. Remove IE 8.


 
Reply With Quote
 
Aardvark
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      05-24-2009
On Sat, 23 May 2009 19:59:52 -0400, ****ing in COLA Hen House wrote:

> One of his excellent frothing rants



Hey! DUH-ane! How are ya doin'??????



--
 
Reply With Quote
 
geothermal
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      05-24-2009
On May 23, 3:26*pm, "zvn[]teq[7]" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> After doing a reset to IE8's defaults in Vista Sp1, it made it my
> default browser as an effect, I went to changing the default browser
> back to K-Meleon, tried to make it Opera, the icon changed at the top of
> the start menu, yet links that I used to click in a usenet post (using
> TB) and would only open with kmeleon, will only open with that
> godawefully slow IE8 (Thanks Micrsoft for your "Important" update... :/
>
> Anyway of reigning in control of my browser situation?
>
> Thanks


"This is not the group of geeks you are looking for."

http://kmeleon.sourceforge.net/forum/

JM
 
Reply With Quote
 
zvn[]teq[7]
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      05-24-2009
geothermal wrote:
> On May 23, 3:26 pm, "zvn[]teq[7]" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> After doing a reset to IE8's defaults in Vista Sp1, it made it my
>> default browser as an effect, I went to changing the default browser
>> back to K-Meleon, tried to make it Opera, the icon changed at the top of
>> the start menu, yet links that I used to click in a usenet post (using
>> TB) and would only open with kmeleon, will only open with that
>> godawefully slow IE8 (Thanks Micrsoft for your "Important" update... :/
>>
>> Anyway of reigning in control of my browser situation?
>>
>> Thanks

>
> "This is not the group of geeks you are looking for."
>
> http://kmeleon.sourceforge.net/forum/
>
> JM

Thanks, I should have thought of that

Cheers
 
Reply With Quote
 
zvn[]teq[7]
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      05-24-2009
****ing in COLA Hen House wrote:
> zvn[]teq[7] wrote:
>> ****ing in COLA Hen House wrote:
>>> zvn[]teq[7] wrote:
>>>> Hi,
>>>>
>>>> After doing a reset to IE8's defaults in Vista Sp1, it made it my
>>>> default browser as an effect, I went to changing the default browser
>>>> back to K-Meleon, tried to make it Opera, the icon changed at the
>>>> top of the start menu, yet links that I used to click in a usenet
>>>> post (using TB) and would only open with kmeleon, will only open
>>>> with that godawefully slow IE8 (Thanks Micrsoft for your "Important"
>>>> update... :/
>>>>
>>>> Anyway of reigning in control of my browser situation?
>>>>
>>>
>>> You moron, why don't you learn how to drive? Why don't you take
>>> control stupid by going to Control Panel/Default Programs/Associate
>>> Protocol like HTTP or HTTPS to a Program like the browser you want
>>> stupid and be done with it.
>>>
>>> It's either that or get your dumbass out from behind the wheel.

>>
>> I tried that just now but it only offers to choose between FF or IE
>> even though I have other browsers installed.
>>
>> Now what do I do...?

>
> I installed this Kmeleon on my Viata machine. Vista doesn't recognize it
> as being a possible default browser.
>
> So, I guess you're out of luck on any browser installed on Vista that
> Vista doesn't consider to be a default browser. Vista knows about IE,
> Firefox and Safari that can a default browser on my machine.


How is the new beta of safari for vista? the current version 3.23 was
described by cnet as using up to 3 times as much ram as FF after opening
a couple tabs or using java. If they've improved in that area I wouldn't
mind giving the beta a whirl. I'm tired of clicking on links and
having the browser take forever to load (FF or IE)

Thanks
 
Reply With Quote
 
zvn[]teq[7]
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      05-24-2009
****ing in COLA Hen House wrote:
> zvn[]teq[7] wrote:
>> ****ing in COLA Hen House wrote:
>>> zvn[]teq[7] wrote:
>>>> Hi,
>>>>
>>>> After doing a reset to IE8's defaults in Vista Sp1, it made it my
>>>> default browser as an effect, I went to changing the default browser
>>>> back to K-Meleon, tried to make it Opera, the icon changed at the
>>>> top of the start menu, yet links that I used to click in a usenet
>>>> post (using TB) and would only open with kmeleon, will only open
>>>> with that godawefully slow IE8 (Thanks Micrsoft for your "Important"
>>>> update... :/
>>>>
>>>> Anyway of reigning in control of my browser situation?
>>>>
>>>
>>> You moron, why don't you learn how to drive? Why don't you take
>>> control stupid by going to Control Panel/Default Programs/Associate
>>> Protocol like HTTP or HTTPS to a Program like the browser you want
>>> stupid and be done with it.
>>>
>>> It's either that or get your dumbass out from behind the wheel.

>>
>> I tried that just now but it only offers to choose between FF or IE
>> even though I have other browsers installed.
>>
>> Now what do I do...?

>
> I installed this Kmeleon on my Viata machine. Vista doesn't recognize it
> as being a possible default browser.
>
> So, I guess you're out of luck on any browser installed on Vista that
> Vista doesn't consider to be a default browser. Vista knows about IE,
> Firefox and Safari that can a default browser on my machine.


Now THIS is odd, before when I tried to change protocols, it would
*only* let me select between IE or FF, now when I went to check it again
it would only let me select either FF or Opera! Opera I can deal with,
it's a hell of a lot faster than either FF or IE.

I also found a program called powertools:
http://www.creativelement.com/powertools/#download

has anyone else had success using this?

I also found this article for users of Seamonkey that are having the
same problem setting protocols for HTTP/HTTPS:

http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic.php?t=652180

hope that helps others, Thank God for google...
 
Reply With Quote
 
Aardvark
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      05-24-2009
On Sun, 24 May 2009 13:38:53 -0400, DUH-ane wrote:

<Enquiring after my well being in his own inimitable way


I'm fine! Thanks for asking. What about you? Are the meds starting to work
yet?


--
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
ie8!=ie8 cecile Javascript 2 05-24-2010 09:04 AM
Re: Advantages of IE8/64 over IE8/32 PA Bear [MS MVP] Windows 64bit 0 08-17-2009 09:43 PM
IE8 now being pushed at Microsoft Update Sites cwdjrxyz HTML 0 04-28-2009 09:12 PM
IE6/IE7 vs. IE8 give different document.documentElement.scrollHeight Daniel Kabs Javascript 2 04-24-2009 05:33 AM
On second thought, IE8 will default to full Web standards Evertjan. Javascript 3 03-05-2008 02:28 AM



Advertisments