Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > BT Internal Newsgroup Problems

BT Internal Newsgroup Problems

Falco

I wonder if any BT Internet/Openworld/Yahoo subscriber reading this group
and subscribed to BT's own internal newsgroups news.btinternet.com,
news.btopenworld.com or news.btconnect could tell me if these are actually
working tonight please.

After several newsgroup resets on all three of the above, nothing concerning
bt.broadband.support, bt.internet.users.broadband.technical or
bt.broadband.announce seems to be available - and have in fact shown as
unavailable when originally clicked on tonight and were then automatically
deleted from the newsgroup lists.

Many thanks

Falco

Mike Easter

Falco wrote:
> I wonder if any BT Internet/Openworld/Yahoo subscriber reading this
> group and subscribed to BT's own internal newsgroups
> news.btinternet.com, news.btopenworld.com or news.btconnect could tell
> me if these are actually working tonight please.

Those 3 newsserver names connect to giganews which handles the
outsourcing for many providers who don't want to run their own
newsservers any more.

> After several newsgroup resets on all three of the above, nothing
> concerning bt.broadband.support, bt.internet.users.broadband.technical
> or bt.broadband.announce seems to be available - and have in fact shown
> as unavailable when originally clicked on tonight and were then
> automatically deleted from the newsgroup lists.

My earthlink provider's access to giganews doesn't show me any bt.*
groups. I don't know how bt is handling its newsgroup support.

Giganews also doesn't like to handle support issues in newsgroups, so if
you want to ask them about it - bt.* groups, you need to use their online
system.

--
Mike Easter

Falco

Mike Easter wrote:
> Falco wrote:
>> I wonder if any BT Internet/Openworld/Yahoo subscriber reading this
>> group and subscribed to BT's own internal newsgroups
>> news.btinternet.com, news.btopenworld.com or news.btconnect could
>> tell me if these are actually working tonight please.

> Those 3 newsserver names connect to giganews which handles the
> outsourcing for many providers who don't want to run their own
> newsservers any more.

Yes, they went over to giganews just after they dropped their own portal and
tied in with Yahoo.

>> After several newsgroup resets on all three of the above, nothing
>> concerning bt.broadband.support,
>> bt.internet.users.broadband.technical or bt.broadband.announce seems
>> to be available - and have in fact shown as unavailable when
>> originally clicked on tonight and were then automatically deleted
>> from the newsgroup lists.

> My earthlink provider's access to giganews doesn't show me any bt.*
> groups. I don't know how bt is handling its newsgroup support.

The BT groups only 'show' to their own subscribers and are not on 'general
view'.

> Giganews also doesn't like to handle support issues in newsgroups, so
> if you want to ask them about it - bt.* groups, you need to use their
> online system.

There are no problems with any other hierarchy on BT's newsgroups - only
their own in-house ones (such as those I've listed) - which makes me suspect
that there is a problem with BTYahoo (as they now call themselves).

Many thanks for the reply Mike

Falco

Mike Easter

Mike Easter wrote:
> Falco wrote:

>> After several newsgroup resets on all three of the above, nothing
>> concerning bt.broadband.support, bt.internet.users.broadband.technical
>> or bt.broadband.announce seems to be available - and have in fact

shown
>> as unavailable when originally clicked on tonight and were then
>> automatically deleted from the newsgroup lists.

> My earthlink provider's access to giganews doesn't show me any bt.*
> groups. I don't know how bt is handling its newsgroup support.
>
> Giganews also doesn't like to handle support issues in newsgroups, so

if
> you want to ask them about it - bt.* groups, you need to use their
> online system.

I just checked on earthlink support groups on the giganews servers, and
they still show 23 groups listed. I don't know whether those groups
would be visible to some other corporate client's login. It may be that
giganews has some way of handling the various support groups according to
either the login user or maybe even the IP address.

When EL was managing its own news, it wouldn't let the client access from
a non-EL IP.

--
Mike Easter

Falco

Mike Easter wrote:
> Mike Easter wrote:
>> Falco wrote:

>>> After several newsgroup resets on all three of the above, nothing
>>> concerning bt.broadband.support,
>>> bt.internet.users.broadband.technical or bt.broadband.announce
>>> seems to be available - and have in fact shown as unavailable when
>>> originally clicked on tonight and were then automatically deleted
>>> from the newsgroup lists.

>> My earthlink provider's access to giganews doesn't show me any bt.*
>> groups. I don't know how bt is handling its newsgroup support.
>>
>> Giganews also doesn't like to handle support issues in newsgroups,
>> so if you want to ask them about it - bt.* groups, you need to use
>> their online system.

> I just checked on earthlink support groups on the giganews servers,
> and they still show 23 groups listed. I don't know whether those
> groups would be visible to some other corporate client's login. It
> may be that giganews has some way of handling the various support
> groups according to either the login user or maybe even the IP
> address.
>
> When EL was managing its own news, it wouldn't let the client access
> from a non-EL IP.

Mike,

Thanks again for the reply - after a clean-out of various caches, I have
finally got those groups back. Why they 'disappeared, I know not - although
after reading the bt.broadband.announce group, I see that they are having
some problems elsewhere.

Falco