Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > deleted mbr,boot sector

deleted mbr,boot sector

poster

so the primary HDD FAT partition cannot be found(appears unallocated)
any more
(lost &found recovery software used to copy the files,said: master
partition and boot sectors deleted)
Rebuilt MBR and partition table in Partition table doctor software but
still same (actually now it reports first partition free)
Active partition recovery,Norton Disc doctor- no help so undid their
changes
Any ideas please?
free SPFdisk 2000 has also a rebuild MBR function..

1PW

poster wrote:
> so the primary HDD FAT partition cannot be found(appears unallocated)
> any more
> (lost &found recovery software used to copy the files,said: master
> partition and boot sectors deleted)
> Rebuilt MBR and partition table in Partition table doctor software but
> still same (actually now it reports first partition free)
> Active partition recovery,Norton Disc doctor- no help so undid their
> changes
> Any ideas please?
> free SPFdisk 2000 has also a rebuild MBR function..

Hello:

This reads like you have some experience. It also reads like you're
about a half-step from salvaging what you can from that HDD and
starting from the beginning.

Good luck to you.

Pete
--
1PW @?6A62?FEH9E=6o2@=]4@> [r4o7t]

Pennywise@DerryMaine.Gov

poster <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>HDD FAT

>Norton Disc doctor- no help so undid their
>changes

Norton Disc Dr. never did me any good.

Use Norton DiskEdit.exe, use it to exchange the FATS.

If you didn't know, there are two fat tables, If first goes bad you
can replace it with the second. Norton diskedit has an option to do
just that.

--

Unusual and awesome view of Saturn
http://tinyurl.com/r9fqxb

chuckcar

poster <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:(E-Mail Removed):

> so the primary HDD FAT partition cannot be found(appears unallocated)
> any more
> (lost &found recovery software used to copy the files,said: master
> partition and boot sectors deleted)
> Rebuilt MBR and partition table in Partition table doctor software but
> still same (actually now it reports first partition free)
> Active partition recovery,Norton Disc doctor- no help so undid their
> changes
> Any ideas please?
> free SPFdisk 2000 has also a rebuild MBR function..

Have you looked at the directory sectors to see if there's anything there?
If not, you're scrawed.

--
(setq (chuck nil) car(chuck) )

poster

On May 22, 9:09 pm, chuckcar <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> poster <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote innews:(E-Mail Removed):
>
> > so the primary HDD FAT partition cannot be found(appears unallocated)
> > any more
> > (lost &found recovery software used to copy the files,said: master
> > partition and boot sectors deleted)
> > Rebuilt MBR and partition table in Partition table doctor software but
> > still same (actually now it reports first partition free)
> > Active partition recovery,Norton Disc doctor- no help so undid their
> > changes
> > Any ideas please?
> > free SPFdisk 2000 has also a rebuild MBR function..

> Have you looked at the directory sectors to see if there's anything there?
> If not, you're scrawed.
>
> --
> (setq (chuck nil) car(chuck) )

no dirs -disk cannot be found in win/dos(however primary partition is
unallocated and secondray is there, files on both as well)
I guess I should have gone for -rebuild Partition table after
rebuilding MBR in PTD

Mike Easter

posted to 24hshd only

poster wrote:
Subject: deleted mbr, boot sector

How did you do that? ie with what?

> so the primary HDD FAT partition cannot be found
> (appears unallocated)

If there is junk in the sector zero, the mbr won't read. mbr restore
doesn't fix that, you need to hand edit/zero it with something like
norton disk editor.

> Any ideas please?

If you've recovered all your data and you are just trying to get your hdd
back, zero out the boot sector by hand.

--
Mike Easter

chuckcar

poster <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:(E-Mail Removed):

> On May 22, 9:09 pm, chuckcar <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> poster <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote
>> innews:(E-Mail Removed)
>> :
>>
>> > so the primary HDD FAT partition cannot be found(appears unallocated)
>> > any more
>> > (lost &found recovery software used to copy the files,said: master
>> > partition and boot sectors deleted)
>> > Rebuilt MBR and partition table in Partition table doctor software
>> > but still same (actually now it reports first partition free)
>> > Active partition recovery,Norton Disc doctor- no help so undid their
>> > changes
>> > Any ideas please?
>> > free SPFdisk 2000 has also a rebuild MBR function..

>> Have you looked at the directory sectors to see if there's anything
>> there? If not, you're scrawed.
>>
>> --
>> (setq (chuck nil) car(chuck) )

> no dirs -disk cannot be found in win/dos(however primary partition is
> unallocated and secondray is there, files on both as well)
> I guess I should have gone for -rebuild Partition table after
> rebuilding MBR in PTD

No, I didn't mean do a directory - that will probably fail anyways. I
meant with a hex editor.

--
(setq (chuck nil) car(chuck) )

Beauregard T. Shagnasty

chuckcar wrote:

> No, I didn't mean do a directory - that will probably fail anyways. I
> meant with a hex editor.

Superb advice, chuckturd. Yeah, like there is some enormous percentage
of people coming here for help that would know how to use a hex editor.
Not!

--
-bts

poster

On May 23, 9:49 am, chuckcar <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> poster <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote innews:(E-Mail Removed):
>

> > On May 22, 9:09 pm, chuckcar <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> >> poster <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote
> >> innews:(E-Mail Removed)
> >> :

> >> Have you looked at the directory sectors to see if there's anything
> >> there? If not, you're scrawed.

> >> --
> >> (setq (chuck nil) car(chuck) )

> > no dirs -disk cannot be found in win/dos(however primary partition is
> > unallocated and secondray is there, files on both as well)
> > I guess I should have gone for -rebuild Partition table after
> > rebuilding MBR in PTD

> No, I didn't mean do a directory - that will probably fail anyways. I
> meant with a hex editor.
>
> --
> (setq (chuck nil) car(chuck) )

when l&f found files you mean it was not using fat tables-
but is it possible fat tables are intact and only mbr and partition
table in it are deleted
so neeed to be rebuilt somehow

chuckcar

poster <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:(E-Mail Removed):

> On May 23, 9:49 am, chuckcar <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> poster <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote
>> innews:(E-Mail Removed):

>> > no dirs -disk cannot be found in win/dos(however primary partition is
>> > unallocated and secondray is there, files on both as well)
>> > I guess I should have gone for -rebuild Partition table after
>> > rebuilding MBR in PTD

>> No, I didn't mean do a directory - that will probably fail anyways. I
>> meant with a hex editor.
>>

> when l&f found files you mean it was not using fat tables-
> but is it possible fat tables are intact and only mbr and partition
> table in it are deleted
> so neeed to be rebuilt somehow

Well, I've done it myself with FAT16, but you *have* to know how the disk
is set up - everything about it - because you have to do it manually. Not
only that, if you do something wrong, there's no going back. If just doing
a chkdsk doesn't fix it, then there's directory problems. A chkdsk only
works properly if *all* the directory sectors are known anyways,
otherwise, you end up having everything else marked as available and will
be overwritten.

--
(setq (chuck nil) car(chuck) )