Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Re: Micoshaft recommends Linux

Re: Micoshaft recommends Linux

Tony Houghton

On Tue, 26 May 2009 17:08:51 +0100
bcoombes <bcoombes@orangedotnet> wrote:

> Tony Houghton wrote:
> > On Tue, 26 May 2009 13:48:34 +0100
> > Conor <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> >
> >> In article <pIQSl.43864$(E-Mail Removed)>, Matt says...

> >> At least it doesn't kill hard drives...

> > Are you saying ext3 does? Where did you hear that, I haven't?
> >

> http://www.theinquirer.net/inquirer/...ppy-hard-drive

According to
<https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/acpi-support/+bug/59695>:

: This problem has been confirmed in Ubuntu as well as in other
: distributions and on MacOS X and Windows.

--
TH * http://www.realh.co.uk

Andrew Halliwell

Conor <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, Andrew Halliwell says...
>>
>> Conor <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> > In article <pIQSl.43864$(E-Mail Removed)>, Matt says...

>> > At least it doesn't kill hard drives...

>> The implication being?

> A few milliseconds difference is far better than having a fried drive.

Nope, still no clue what you're implying...

| http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) |in the ground beneath a giant boulder, which you|
| in |good to you so far... |

Simon Finnigan

newsIQSl.43864$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Simon Finnigan wrote:
>> "Mike Tomlinson" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>> In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, Simon Finnigan
>>> <(E-Mail Removed)> writes

>>> I don't see it quite like that. An OS is a tool to get a job done. If
>>> one picks the correct tool for the job, there's no need for any fanboi-
>>> ism or mindless advocacy.

>> it is strange that people who get hung up on different OS`s al seem to
>> have the same ideas about their product of choice. E.g. Linux zealots
>> claiming that their OS is utterly secure, despite it having large numbers
>> of security holes. Vista does everything I want a machine to do, is
>> easier to support than any of the alternatives, hence its an easy choice.
>>
>>> I use Linux at work and Windows at home. Each has its own strengths and
>>> weaknesses. I tend to be anti-M$ because of their shonky marketing and
>>> restrictive business practices, not because of their products. *

>> I`ve always found Linux to be slower on the same hardware,

> You've never compared NTFS on Windows to ext3 on Linux. Windows file
> access is ridiculously slow.

I find that 30-40 megs a second is more than enough for what I want these
days (this is copying between drives or over the network, I have no figures
for reading data from the disk to memory, but it won`t be lower than this).
Back when I needed fast access to my data I might care about those things,
but I`m no longer processing multiterrabyte data-sets. There are very few
applications in the real world that need faster access to data.

Tony Houghton

On Tue, 26 May 2009 19:37:09 +0100

http://forum.notebookreview.com/showthread.php?t=268465

--
TH * http://www.realh.co.uk

Matt

Conor wrote:
> In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, Andrew Halliwell says...
>> Conor <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>> In article <pIQSl.43864$(E-Mail Removed)>, Matt says...

>>> At least it doesn't kill hard drives...

>> The implication being?

> A few milliseconds difference is far better than having a fried drive.

Hear now, don't be a simpleton. Talking about a factor of five for
disk-bound jobs.

Hu Flung Dung

Tony Houghton, ye goatish fawning publican, thou art unfit for any place
but hell, ye huddled:

> On Mon, 25 May 2009 22:09:01 GMT
> "Hu Flung Dung" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>> Tony Houghton, ye slovenly humorous youth, a plague on your house, ye
>> complained:
>>
>>> In article
>>> <tssdij$645$(E-Mail Removed)-good-time-girl.com.samoa>,
>>> (E-Mail Removed)lid says...

> ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>
>>> And what makes you think it's been doing that to Conor's posts when
>>> it obviously hasn't?

>> Where did I claim "it's been doing that to Conor's posts"?

> I<BITCHSLAP>

What about you, MonkeyBoi?

Hu Min Pyook

Hu Flung Dung wanting naught did rancorously utter sundry flagrant chides:

> Tony Houghton, ye shard-borne audacious traitor, o tigers heart wrapped
> in a woman's hide, ye upchucked:
>
>> On Sun, 24 May 2009 21:49:18 GMT
>> "Hu Flung Dung" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>
>>> Tony Houghton, ye fobbing braggart, drunkenness is thy best virtue,
>>> for ye will be swine drunk, and in thy sleep thou does little harm,
>>> save to thy ****-stained bedclothes about thee, ye prated:

>>> BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

>> Oh, you're one of those people who's so proud of being ignorant and
>> obnoxious you were trying to prove you were the stupidest idiot in the
>> thread. You didn't even manage to win that crown anyway.

>>> Oh, you're a linux****. That explains a lot.

>> What took you so long?

> I didn't care enough.

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!