Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Re: Micoshaft recommends Linux

Re: Micoshaft recommends Linux

Conor

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, Andrew Halliwell says...

> and that Linux has some that exist for years.
>
> Known ones?

How about the 25 year old BSD bug that carried on into Unix and then
Linux?

http://www.osnews.com/story/19731/Th...r-Old-UNIX-Bug

FTA: ""Sorry that it took us almost twenty-five years to fix it,"
Balmer adds, jokingly."

Or the 33 year old overflow one:

http://undeadly.org/cgi?action=artic...20080708155228

FTA: " Funny thing is that I traced this back to Sixth Edition UNIX,
released in 1975.""

--
Conor

looking good either. - Scott Adams

Tony Houghton

On Sat, 23 May 2009 17:18:59 +0100
Conor <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, Andrew Halliwell says...
> >
> > and that Linux has some that exist for years.
> >
> > Known ones?

> How about the 25 year old BSD bug that carried on into Unix and then
> Linux?
>
> http://www.osnews.com/story/19731/Th...r-Old-UNIX-Bug
>
> FTA: ""Sorry that it took us almost twenty-five years to fix it,"
> Balmer adds, jokingly."
>

> Or the 33 year old overflow one:
>
> http://undeadly.org/cgi?action=artic...20080708155228
>
> FTA: " Funny thing is that I traced this back to Sixth Edition UNIX,
> released in 1975.""

That's because they're so obscure it took that long for anyone to find
them. In stark contrast with Microsoft's RTC = localtime bug which they
still haven't fixed in Windows 7.

--
TH * http://www.realh.co.uk

Aardvark

On Sat, 23 May 2009 14:21:02 +0100, Simon Finnigan wrote:

> "Andrew Halliwell" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Simon Finnigan <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>> it is strange that people who get hung up on different OS`s al seem to
>>> have
>>> the same ideas about their product of choice. E.g. Linux zealots
>>> claiming
>>> that their OS is utterly secure,

>> No-one with clue ever claimed that.
>> Only the wintrolls use that argument as a form of attack. Linux is fort
>> knox compared to the windows wet paper bag though.

> So Wintrolls use the arguement that Linux is invulnerable as a form of
> attack? You sure about that?

Where did he say that? Try READING what people write once in a while.

>>> despite it having large numbers of security holes.

>> Most of which are plugged in less than a month. Again, unlike windows
>> where
>> some have remained for years.

> You`re comparing apples and aranges here.

Nope. Seems to me and exploit on one OS and another exploit on another OS
are just that: exploits. Not apples and oranges, exploits and other
exploits.

> You state that most Linux
> exploits are fixed in under a month, and then complain that Windows
> still has security holes that have existed for years.

He did indeed. And the statement is true.

> From the
> information given, it can also be equally argued that Windows has most
> holes patched within a month,

You think?

> and that Linux has some that exist for
> years.

Highly unlikely, if not totally improbable.

>>> Vista does everything I want a machine to do, is easier to support
>>> than any of the alternatives, hence its an easy choice.

I'm so pleased for you.

Conor

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, Tony Houghton says...

> That's because they're so obscure it took that long for anyone to find
> them. In stark contrast with Microsoft's RTC = localtime bug which they
> still haven't fixed in Windows 7.

What RTC bug?

--
Conor

looking good either. - Scott Adams

Tony Houghton

On Sat, 23 May 2009 19:33:26 +0100
Conor <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, Tony Houghton says...
>
> > That's because they're so obscure it took that long for anyone to find
> > them. In stark contrast with Microsoft's RTC = localtime bug which they
> > still haven't fixed in Windows 7.

> What RTC bug?

It insists on running with the RTC set to local time instead of using
UTC and applying the timezone/DST setting on the fly.

--
TH * http://www.realh.co.uk

Conor

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, Tony Houghton says...

> It insists on running with the RTC set to local time instead of using
> UTC and applying the timezone/DST setting on the fly.

Well my computer is set to UTC...

Change it by clicking on the time in the systray and altering it
there...

--
Conor

looking good either. - Scott Adams

Tony Houghton

On Sat, 23 May 2009 22:44:56 +0100
Conor <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, Tony Houghton says...
>
> > It insists on running with the RTC set to local time instead of using
> > UTC and applying the timezone/DST setting on the fly.

> Well my computer is set to UTC...
>
> Change it by clicking on the time in the systray and altering it
> there...

The computer you're posting from isn't set to UTC, it's set to BST. Did
you honestly not realise? <Shakes head>.

And because it's Windows the RTC (the one you see in the BIOS) is also
set to BST [1]. That means if you dual boot you can't have both OS's
automatically adjust between winter and summer time. If both OS's assume
the RTC is in UTC they can both display whatever timezone they like
without interfering with each other and there are no disadvantages I can
think of. Except that Microsoft think their users are too stupid to cope
with seeing the "wrong" time in the BIOS; perhaps you've proved them
right.

[1] Apparently there's a registry setting for Vista, but it's broken
because they forgot to take it into account when resuming from sleep. If
I remember, I'll check whether that's fixed in 7RC.

--
TH * http://www.realh.co.uk

Hu Flung Dung

Tony Houghton, ye depraved lunatic, thou is too mean to have thy name
repeated, ye vacillated:

> On Sat, 23 May 2009 22:44:56 +0100
> Conor <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>> In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, Tony Houghton
>> says...
>>
>>> It insists on running with the RTC set to local time instead of
>>> using UTC and applying the timezone/DST setting on the fly.

>> Well my computer is set to UTC...
>>
>> Change it by clicking on the time in the systray and altering it
>> there...

> The computer you're posting from isn't set to UTC, it's set to BST.
> Did you honestly not realise? <Shakes head>.

You complete and utter ****wit. Some NNTP servers use the computer's
timezone setting by virtue of the server not changing the datestamp of posts
comong from a user's machine. Many others convert the user's timestamp to
the NNTP server's local timezone.

Hope that ****ing helps, you stupidly gormless ****rag.

Conor

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, Tony Houghton says...

> On Sat, 23 May 2009 22:44:56 +0100
> Conor <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
> > In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, Tony Houghton says...
> >
> > > It insists on running with the RTC set to local time instead of using
> > > UTC and applying the timezone/DST setting on the fly.

> > Well my computer is set to UTC...
> >
> > Change it by clicking on the time in the systray and altering it
> > there...

> The computer you're posting from isn't set to UTC, it's set to BST. Did
> you honestly not realise? <Shakes head>.

From Windows:

"Time Zone

(UTC) Dublin, Edinburgh, Lisbon, London"

....with the "Daylight saving" option box checked.

> And because it's Windows the RTC (the one you see in the BIOS) is also
> set to BST [1]. That means if you dual boot you can't have both OS's
> automatically adjust between winter and summer time. If both OS's assume
> the RTC is in UTC they can both display whatever timezone they like
> without interfering with each other and there are no disadvantages I can
> think of. Except that Microsoft think their users are too stupid to cope
> with seeing the "wrong" time in the BIOS; perhaps you've proved them
> right.

Different to my experience of dual booting.

> [1] Apparently there's a registry setting for Vista, but it's broken
> because they forgot to take it into account when resuming from sleep. If
> I remember, I'll check whether that's fixed in 7RC.

--
Conor

looking good either. - Scott Adams

Peter Köhlmann

Conor wrote:

> In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, Tony Houghton says...
>>
>> On Sat, 23 May 2009 22:44:56 +0100
>> Conor <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>
>> > In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, Tony Houghton
>> > says...

>> > Well my computer is set to UTC...
>> >
>> > Change it by clicking on the time in the systray and altering it
>> > there...

>> The computer you're posting from isn't set to UTC, it's set to BST. Did
>> you honestly not realise? <Shakes head>.

> From Windows:
>
> "Time Zone
>
> (UTC) Dublin, Edinburgh, Lisbon, London"
>
> ...with the "Daylight saving" option box checked.

Thats fine. Because you actually live in the UTC zone

>> And because it's Windows the RTC (the one you see in the BIOS) is also
>> set to BST [1]. That means if you dual boot you can't have both OS's
>> automatically adjust between winter and summer time. If both OS's
>> assume the RTC is in UTC they can both display whatever timezone they
>> like without interfering with each other and there are no disadvantages
>> I can think of. Except that Microsoft think their users are too stupid
>> to cope with seeing the "wrong" time in the BIOS; perhaps you've proved
>> them right.

> Different to my experience of dual booting.

Because for you there is no difference

--
It's not about, 'Where do you want to go today?' It's more like,
'Where am I allowed to go today?'