Velocity Reviews - Computer Hardware Reviews

Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Re: Micoshaft recommends Linux

Reply
Thread Tools

Re: Micoshaft recommends Linux

 
 
Conor
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      05-22-2009
In article <8%nRl.32158$(E-Mail Removed)> , 7 says...

> It took me 17 minutes from clicking start of installation
> to finishing installation, booting up
> AND browsing first web page!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
>

It'd take you 17 minutes to scroll through a webpage if you have Intel
graphics.

What you didn't say is it then took a full day of ****ing around to get
it to work.

> VirtualBox
> ----------
> Yes! VirtualBox can run on Ubutu set up with 3D translucent desktop.
> http://www.virtualbox.org
>

Why? Is Linux so **** that you need to be able to run Windows or WINE
on it to have decent software?


--
Conor

I only please one person per day. Today is not your day. Tomorrow isn't
looking good either. - Scott Adams
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
RonB
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      05-22-2009
Conor wrote:
> In article <8%nRl.32158$(E-Mail Removed)> , 7 says...
>
>> It took me 17 minutes from clicking start of installation
>> to finishing installation, booting up
>> AND browsing first web page!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
>>

> It'd take you 17 minutes to scroll through a webpage if you have Intel
> graphics.
>
> What you didn't say is it then took a full day of ****ing around to get
> it to work.


No, he was running Linux, not Vista. Stay focused.

>> VirtualBox
>> ----------
>> Yes! VirtualBox can run on Ubutu set up with 3D translucent desktop.
>> http://www.virtualbox.org
>>

> Why? Is Linux so **** that you need to be able to run Windows or WINE
> on it to have decent software?


There are some specialty Windows programs not made for Linux. VirtualBox
is the safest way to run Windows -- just keep it in its own little box
where it can't hurt anyone.

--
RonB
"There's a story there...somewhere"
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Conor
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      05-22-2009
In article <gv5nal$2ju$(E-Mail Removed)-september.org>, RonB says...

> No, he was running Linux, not Vista. Stay focused.
>

Good luck in getting windows network browsing working from Gnome 2.24
onwards.


> There are some specialty Windows programs not made for Linux. VirtualBox
> is the safest way to run Windows -- just keep it in its own little box
> where it can't hurt anyone.


Another moron who thinks Linux is impervious to malware.
--
Conor

I only please one person per day. Today is not your day. Tomorrow isn't
looking good either. - Scott Adams
 
Reply With Quote
 
Andrew Halliwell
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      05-22-2009
Conor <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> In article <gv5nal$2ju$(E-Mail Removed)-september.org>, RonB says...
>
>> No, he was running Linux, not Vista. Stay focused.
>>

> Good luck in getting windows network browsing working from Gnome 2.24
> onwards.
>
>
>> There are some specialty Windows programs not made for Linux. VirtualBox
>> is the safest way to run Windows -- just keep it in its own little box
>> where it can't hurt anyone.

>
> Another moron who thinks Linux is impervious to malware.


Oh, not impervious... Any old script could be downloaded...
But how would the script convince someone to run it?
"when downloading this file, please ensure that you chmod it to executable
with the command chmod +x iwillwreckyourcomputer and then run it"?
Oh, you mean some remote exploit with privilage escalation? Oh, yeah, linux
has those occasionally. Usually it'd require a remote exploit just to gain
access followed by ANOTHER, local exploit to gain root though...

Good luck on targetting THAT, because linux is such a diverse little OS
you'd probably only be able to find 4 out of millions who were vulnerable...
Which is hardly worth the effort

And those would vanish with the next patch to what-ever the program(s)
was(were) with the vuln.

How many viruses are there in the wild for linux again?
Hell, how many have their been in linux's entire history?
Compare and contrast with windows and MacOS.
--
| http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) | "I'm alive!!! I can touch! I can taste! |
| Andrew Halliwell BSc | I can SMELL!!! KRYTEN!!! Unpack Rachel and |
| in | get out the puncture repair kit!" |
| Computer Science | Arnold Judas Rimmer- Red Dwarf |
 
Reply With Quote
 
RonB
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      05-22-2009
Conor wrote:
> In article <gv5nal$2ju$(E-Mail Removed)-september.org>, RonB says...
>
>> No, he was running Linux, not Vista. Stay focused.
>>

> Good luck in getting windows network browsing working from Gnome 2.24
> onwards.


Not a concern for me.

>> There are some specialty Windows programs not made for Linux. VirtualBox
>> is the safest way to run Windows -- just keep it in its own little box
>> where it can't hurt anyone.

>
> Another moron who thinks Linux is impervious to malware.


It sure is a hell of a lot more impervious than the malware magnet,
Windows -- also known as the Swiss Cheese of Operating Systems.

--
RonB
"There's a story there...somewhere"
 
Reply With Quote
 
Andrew Halliwell
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      05-22-2009
bcoombes <bcoombes@orangedotnet> wrote:
> Here's a nice linux malware list :-
> 55808 Trojan - Variant A
> ADM W0rm
> AjaKit
> aPa Kit
> Apache Worm
> Ambient (ark) Rootkit
> Balaur Rootkit
> BeastKit
> beX2
> BOBKit
> CiNIK Worm (Slapper.B variant)
> Danny-Boy's Abuse Kit
> Devil RootKit
> Dica
> Dreams Rootkit
> Duarawkz Rootkit
> Flea Linux Rootkit
> FreeBSD Rootkit
> ****`it Rootkit
> GasKit
> Heroin LKM
> HjC Rootkit
> ignoKit
> ImperalsS-FBRK
> Irix Rootkit
> Kitko
> Knark
> Li0n Worm
> Lockit / LJK2
> mod_rootme (Apache backdoor)
> MRK
> Ni0 Rootkit
> NSDAP (RootKit for SunOS)
> Optic Kit (Tux)
> Oz Rootkit
> Portacelo
> R3dstorm Toolkit
> RH-Sharpe's rootkit
> RSHA's rootkit
> Scalper Worm
> Shutdown
> SHV4 Rootkit
> SHV5 Rootkit
> Sin Rootkit
> Slapper
> Sneakin Rootkit
> Suckit
> SunOS Rootkit
> Superkit
> TBD (Telnet BackDoor)
> TeLeKiT
> T0rn Rootkit
> Trojanit Kit
> URK (Universal RootKit)
> VcKit
> Volc Rootkit
> X-Org SunOS Rootkit
> zaRwT.KiT Rootkit
> Anti Anti-sniffer
> LuCe LKM
> THC Backdoor
> Of course there are many, many more for M$ Winders but then it only takes one.


Thing about those is... how many of them require local access to install
them? (most of the rootkits fall into that category, I imagine)
How many work on social rather than network security by having the user
download and run the program manually?

The Apache worm isn't specific to linux, apache runs on BSD, windows and mac
as well, so how many of those aren't specific to linux?

If you seperated them out into categories of "linux only", "auto-infection"
and "manual infection/local access required", how would they be split?

And why did you include "X-Org SunOS rootkit"? SunOS is a fullblown
commercial unix, not linux. Completely different beast.

In fact... As you included one, how many more of those are unix malware
rather than linux?

And of course, the final question... How many of those worked by exploits
that no longer exist?
--
| (E-Mail Removed),uk | "Are you pondering what I'm pondering Pinky?" |
| Andrew Halliwell BSc | |
| in | "I think so brain, but this time, you control |
| Computer Science | the Encounter suit, and I'll do the voice..." |
 
Reply With Quote
 
Andrew Halliwell
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      05-22-2009
bcoombes <bcoombes@orangedotnet> wrote:
>> And why did you include "X-Org SunOS rootkit"? SunOS is a fullblown
>> commercial unix, not linux. Completely different beast.
>>

> Cretin! Try reading this if you can read.
> http://www.ee.surrey.ac.uk/Teaching/Unix/unixintro.html


My, how delightful.
Perfectly acceptable post and this is the reply I get.
You're one of the new wintrolls then, I take it? I won't bother to welcome
you, cos you're not. Can't even answer a simple question. Prolly cos you're
too simple to understand it.

I know what unix is, thank you very much. It's not as if I've not USED SunOS
before. I also know that linux is not Unix and just because a malware runs
on unix does not automatically mean it will run on linux without
modification. It depends on how it was written and what it was designed to
exploit.

Oh, and that website is just plain wrong.

There are many different versions of UNIX, although they share common
similarities. The most popular varieties of UNIX are Sun Solaris,
GNU/Linux, and MacOS X.

What a **** you are.
--
| (E-Mail Removed) | |
| Andrew Halliwell BSc | "ARSE! GERLS!! DRINK! DRINK! DRINK!!!" |
| in | "THAT WOULD BE AN ECUMENICAL MATTER!...FECK!!!! |
| Computer Science | - Father Jack in "Father Ted" |
 
Reply With Quote
 
Andrew Halliwell
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      05-22-2009
bcoombes <bcoombes@orangedotnet> wrote:
> Andrew Halliwell wrote:
>> bcoombes <bcoombes@orangedotnet> wrote:
>>And why did you include "X-Org SunOS rootkit"? SunOS is a fullblown...Yawn

>
>
> A Linux-based system is a modular Unix-like operating system. It derives
> much of its basic design from principles established in Unix during the
> 1970s and 1980s.


I know the history, idiot.
It doesn't prove anything I said was incorrect or even slightly wrong
however.

Now go away play in the traffic like a good little boy.
--
| (E-Mail Removed) | |
| Andrew Halliwell BSc | "ARSE! GERLS!! DRINK! DRINK! DRINK!!!" |
| in | "THAT WOULD BE AN ECUMENICAL MATTER!...FECK!!!! |
| Computer Science | - Father Jack in "Father Ted" |
 
Reply With Quote
 
Conor
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      05-22-2009
In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, Andrew Halliwell says...
>
> Oh, not impervious... Any old script could be downloaded...
> But how would the script convince someone to run it?
> "when downloading this file, please ensure that you chmod it to executable
> with the command chmod +x iwillwreckyourcomputer and then run it"?


With "ease of use" being the latest thing to be addressed on Linux,
it's now no different to Vista - click on a link to run it, OK to the
privelige prompt and BAM.

> Good luck on targetting THAT, because linux is such a diverse little OS


No it isn't. Most distros are Debian or Redhat based.


> How many viruses are there in the wild for linux again?
> Hell, how many have their been in linux's entire history?
> Compare and contrast with windows and MacOS.


Just proves how worthless Linux's market share is.


--
Conor

I only please one person per day. Today is not your day. Tomorrow isn't
looking good either. - Scott Adams
 
Reply With Quote
 
Conor
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      05-22-2009
In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, Andrew Halliwell says...

> Thing about those is... how many of them require local access to install
> them? (most of the rootkits fall into that category, I imagine)
> How many work on social rather than network security by having the user
> download and run the program manually?
>

Quite a few. Linux users are as stupid as Windows ones.

> The Apache worm isn't specific to linux, apache runs on BSD, windows and mac
> as well, so how many of those aren't specific to linux?
>

Irrelevent. Apache is the default server app in Linux.

> If you seperated them out into categories of "linux only", "auto-infection"
> and "manual infection/local access required", how would they be split?
>
> And why did you include "X-Org SunOS rootkit"? SunOS is a fullblown
> commercial unix, not linux. Completely different beast.
>

Irrelevent.

> In fact... As you included one, how many more of those are unix malware
> rather than linux?
>

Irrelevent.
> And of course, the final question... How many of those worked by exploits
> that no longer exist?

One could argue the same about many of the Windows ones seeing as
patches were released MONTHS before exploits that Sasser/Conficker etc
used.


--
Conor

I only please one person per day. Today is not your day. Tomorrow isn't
looking good either. - Scott Adams
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Re: Micoshaft recommends Linux Simon Finnigan Computer Support 76 05-27-2009 02:12 AM
Re: Don't buy Micoshaft branded hardware - it won't work with Linux Sharp Dressed Man Computer Support 2 11-02-2008 11:21 AM
Re: Vista Will Exterminate Micoshaft, Desktop Linux will prevail Once And For All. 7 Computer Support 6 10-08-2006 06:36 PM
Re: Vista Will Exterminate Micoshaft, Desktop Linux will prevail Once And For All. 7 Computer Support 0 10-07-2006 07:00 PM
Holey Moley! Micro$oft Recommends Linux? --= ֧m K0 =-- Computer Security 19 01-12-2004 07:54 PM



Advertisments