Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Re: Micoshaft recommends Linux

Re: Micoshaft recommends Linux

Hadron

bcoombes <bcoombes@orangedotnet> writes:

> Andrew Halliwell wrote:
>> bcoombes <bcoombes@orangedotnet> wrote:
>>>
>>> A Linux-based system is a modular Unix-like operating system. It derives
>>> much of its basic design from principles established in Unix during the
>>> 1970s and 1980s.

>> I know the history and I'm an idiot.

> True.

Most honest thing I ever saw that kid with the degree ever post.

--
In view of all the deadly computer viruses that have been spreading
lately, Weekend Update would like to remind you: when you link up to

JEDIDIAH

On 2009-05-22, Conor <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, Andrew Halliwell says...

[deletia]
>> How many viruses are there in the wild for linux again?
>> Hell, how many have their been in linux's entire history?
>> Compare and contrast with windows and MacOS.

> Just proves how worthless Linux's market share is.

....as if "lack of marketshare" ever protected a platform before.

That's kind of the whole point of viruses. They don't need the
largest available target population. They just need one that is
accomodating to the spread of viruses. Put up any sort of barriers
and potential infestations are quickly castrated.

--
"Microsoft looks at new ideas, they don't evaluate whether
the idea will move the industry forward, they ask, |||

-- Bill Gates

JEDIDIAH

On 2009-05-22, Conor <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, Andrew Halliwell says...

[deletia]

>> The Apache worm isn't specific to linux, apache runs on BSD, windows and mac
>> as well, so how many of those aren't specific to linux?
>>

> Irrelevent. Apache is the default server app in Linux.

Apache isn't the default anything in Linux.

If someone wants a webserver they might install it.

[deletia]

It's no more "default" on Linux than it is on Windows really.

--
"Microsoft looks at new ideas, they don't evaluate whether
the idea will move the industry forward, they ask, |||
'how will it help us sell more copies of Windows?'" / | \

-- Bill Gates

Raj Kundra

"bcoombes" <bcoombes@orangedotnet> wrote in message
news(E-Mail Removed)...
> Conor wrote:
>> In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, Andrew Halliwell says...
>>
>>> Thing about those is... how many of them require local access to install
>>> them? (most of the rootkits fall into that category, I imagine)
>>> How many work on social rather than network security by having the user
>>> download and run the program manually?
>>>

>> Quite a few. Linux users are as stupid as Windows ones.
>>

> LMAO, possibly more stupid because of the 'Linux is perfect' blinkers most
> of them seem to wear.

Not as bad as ones with 'APPLE IS PERFECT, blinkers.
They actually pay over the odds for same OS, compared with Linux guys paying
pennies or free.

JEDIDIAH

On 2009-05-22, bcoombes <bcoombes@orangedotnet> wrote:
> Conor wrote:
>> In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, Andrew Halliwell says...
>>
>>> Thing about those is... how many of them require local access to install
>>> them? (most of the rootkits fall into that category, I imagine)
>>> How many work on social rather than network security by having the user
>>> download and run the program manually?
>>>

>> Quite a few. Linux users are as stupid as Windows ones.
>>

> LMAO, possibly more stupid because of the 'Linux is perfect' blinkers most of
> them seem to wear.

...not "perfect", just a whole lot better.

Although this is not something that is limited to Linux.

EVERYONE does it better. It's been like this for a long time.

Peddling mindless fear doesn't really do anyone any good. OTOH, if you've
got some real insights then the rest of the Unix using planet can mull it over
and provide countermeasures (assuming they haven't already done this).

--

"Raj Kundra" <raj@REM0VE THISkundracomputers.co.uk> writes:

> "bcoombes" <bcoombes@orangedotnet> wrote in message
> news(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Conor wrote:
>>> In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, Andrew Halliwell says...

>>> Quite a few. Linux users are as stupid as Windows ones.
>>>

>> LMAO, possibly more stupid because of the 'Linux is perfect' blinkers most
>> of them seem to wear.

> Not as bad as ones with 'APPLE IS PERFECT, blinkers.
> They actually pay over the odds for same OS, compared with Linux guys paying
> pennies or free.

Its the apps and the desktop experience they pay for. The underlying OS
is of little consequence to them.

If you have used a Mac you will know what is meant. It is incredibly
well tuned and consistent across applications.

--
In view of all the deadly computer viruses that have been spreading
lately, Weekend Update would like to remind you: when you link up to
another computer, you’re linking up to every computer that that
computer has ever linked up to. — Dennis Miller

Peter Köhlmann

bcoombes wrote:

> Andrew Halliwell wrote:
>> bcoombes <bcoombes@orangedotnet> wrote:
>>>
>>> A Linux-based system is a modular Unix-like operating system. It
>>> derives much of its basic design from principles established in Unix
>>> during the 1970s and 1980s.

>> I know the history and I'm an idiot.

> True.

Oh, looky looky.

A windows using retard editing posts.

Who would have imagined...
--
Warning: 10 days have passed since your last Windows reinstall.

Peter Köhlmann

Hadron wrote:

> bcoombes <bcoombes@orangedotnet> writes:
>
>> Andrew Halliwell wrote:

>>> I know the history and I'm an idiot.

>> True.
>>

> Most honest thing I ever saw that kid with the degree ever post.

You mean you saw one of your own (windows using retards) editing posts
again?

No wonder you have to applaud that cretin
--
Just out of curiosity does this actually mean something or have some
of the few remaining bits of your brain just evaporated?

Conor

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, JEDIDIAH says...

> That's kind of the whole point of viruses. They don't need the
> largest available target population. They just need one that is
> accomodating to the spread of viruses. Put up any sort of barriers
> and potential infestations are quickly castrated.

It's a good job Microsoft released Vista then and also placed IE7 and
IE8 in a sandbox under Vista and Win7.

--
Conor

looking good either. - Scott Adams

Tony Houghton

On Fri, 22 May 2009 15:41:44 +0100
Conor <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, Andrew Halliwell says...
> >
> > Oh, not impervious... Any old script could be downloaded...
> > But how would the script convince someone to run it?
> > "when downloading this file, please ensure that you chmod it to executable
> > with the command chmod +x iwillwreckyourcomputer and then run it"?

> With "ease of use" being the latest thing to be addressed on Linux,
> it's now no different to Vista - click on a link to run it, OK to the
> privelige prompt and BAM.

Except that you don't install Linux software by downloading it from a
random website, you get it from a trusted source with the distro's
package manager.

> > Good luck on targetting THAT, because linux is such a diverse little OS

> No it isn't. Most distros are Debian or Redhat based.
>
> > How many viruses are there in the wild for linux again?
> > Hell, how many have their been in linux's entire history?
> > Compare and contrast with windows and MacOS.

> Just proves how worthless Linux's market share is.

So in one paragraph you claim Linux viruses are as rife as Vista ones,
two paragraphs later you think Linux is too worthless to have a
significant virus threat.

--
TH * http://www.realh.co.uk