Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > UK VOIP > VoIP Faxing and IP Faxing

VoIP Faxing and IP Faxing

IT News

Hello,

What are the differences between VoIP Faxing and IP Faxing, please?
Is the fax reliable in a VoIP environment?

Thanks

bin me

Can't give a definitive answer for the differences between VoIP & IP,
but can say my VoIP fax is not reliable outgoing, but seems to work well
with incoming faxes (both UK and overseas).

I have a POT fax machine connected to a 2 port Linksys Internet phone
adapter. From enquiries I made, its my VoIP service provider that has
the problem with the coding of the fax tones, some being outside the
pass band of the codex they use.

Given my combined Tx & Rx of faxes is about 10 per year now, its not a
problem for me. However, if the through put of faxes increased to the
old levels of around 5 per day, I would seek an alternative solution.

Alan

In message <EAnRl.105798$(E-Mail Removed)>, IT News
<(E-Mail Removed)> writes

--
Alan

Graham.

"IT News" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:EAnRl.105798$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hello,
>
> What are the differences between VoIP Faxing and IP Faxing, please?
> Is the fax reliable in a VoIP environment?
>
> Thanks

Probably no difference.
I suppose terminology can mean whatever people want it to mean.
FoIP is sometimes used, and I suppose it normally means the same
as VoIP faxing ie "The tones of a standard office Group 3 fax machine,
or a computer program emulating one, being sent via a VoIP channel
using a suitable codec".

--
Graham.

%Profound_observation%

alexd

IT News wrote:

> What are the differences between VoIP Faxing and IP Faxing, please?
> Is the fax reliable in a VoIP environment?

I had few problems faxing through an ATA on the same LAN as the PBX. Across
the WAN however, T.38 support is what you want. It means that whatever
actually interfaces with the PSTN actually emulates a fax machine, rather
than just playing the received audio down the line.

12:57:19 up 15 days, 15:40, 2 users, load average: 0.09, 0.09, 0.08
A few flakes working together can unleash an avalanche of destruction