Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Re: Burning and Unpacking Slow down

Re: Burning and Unpacking Slow down

wisdomkiller & pain

ChairMan wrote:

> In the last couple of weeks I've noticed a severe slow down in burning
> DVDs and unpacking compressed files.
> It use to take 5-8 minutes to burn a DVD at 8x-10x speed and about 5-6
> minutes to unpack a 3-5 gig compressed file<rar>
> It now takes about 30 minutes to unpack and burn anything if not longer.

Unpacking 3-5gig from a archive on the harddrive to uncompressed files on
the same drive ... the bottleneck may be the drive.
Something tells me, your ide controller does turn off dma because of errors.
Which influences all transfers from hd to hd as well as to burner.

> It appears the speed on burns is about 2x even though it's set to burn at
> 8x-10x. There are no other slow downs in running any other programs. Does
> anyone have any idea what would be causing this to happen.

You may as well get choppy sound from wav files or even mp3s from the
harddrive. Download a harddrive diagnosis program, and - most important -
hurry to do your backups!