Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Windows 64bit > Shockwave problem

Shockwave problem

Sirius

Hello,

Are there any known issues with Shockwave on the Win XP Pro 64 bit platform?

I have the newest version installed, it's in the Add Remove programs list.
Yet, when I go to a web page that tries to use Shockwave, it behaves as if
it's not installed yet.
It says:"Adobe shockwave player is now installing"
but nothing happens, the progress indicator does not move.
I tried uninstalling using the uninstaller and reinstalling stand alone, but
no success.

The Flash player however, works fine.

Is there a fix for this, or do I have to go back to 32 bit?

Thank you.

Bobby Johnson

There is only 32-bit Shockwave, so it will never work in IE 64-bit.

The issue is there has never been a 64-bit version published and it has
never in the 64-bit Internet Explorer. The same as it's been for about
5 years now!

There's no 64-bit Flash, either, 32-bit only. Go to the Adobe web site
and it will tell you there is no 64-bit Flash!

Sirius wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Are there any known issues with Shockwave on the Win XP Pro 64 bit platform?
>
> I have the newest version installed, it's in the Add Remove programs list.
> Yet, when I go to a web page that tries to use Shockwave, it behaves as if
> it's not installed yet.
> It says:"Adobe shockwave player is now installing"
> but nothing happens, the progress indicator does not move.
> I tried uninstalling using the uninstaller and reinstalling stand alone, but
> no success.
>
> The Flash player however, works fine.
>
> Is there a fix for this, or do I have to go back to 32 bit?
>
> Thank you.

Sirius

Thank you for the info. So it seems that 32 bit Flash works
with 64 bit Windows XP. Is there a way to make the 32
bit Shockwave to work with it?
They are backwards compatible, aren't they?
There is both a 32 an 64 bit IE in this platform.

Thank you.

"Bobby Johnson" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> There is only 32-bit Shockwave, so it will never work in IE 64-bit.
>
> The issue is there has never been a 64-bit version published and it has
> never in the 64-bit Internet Explorer. The same as it's been for about 5
> years now!
>
> There's no 64-bit Flash, either, 32-bit only. Go to the Adobe web site
> and it will tell you there is no 64-bit Flash!
>

> Sirius wrote:
>> Hello,
>>
>> Are there any known issues with Shockwave on the Win XP Pro 64 bit
>> platform?
>>
>> I have the newest version installed, it's in the Add Remove programs
>> list. Yet, when I go to a web page that tries to use Shockwave, it
>> behaves as if it's not installed yet.
>> It says:"Adobe shockwave player is now installing"
>> but nothing happens, the progress indicator does not move.
>> I tried uninstalling using the uninstaller and reinstalling stand alone,
>> but no success.
>>
>> The Flash player however, works fine.
>>
>> Is there a fix for this, or do I have to go back to 32 bit?
>>
>> Thank you.

Bobby Johnson

You would need to get that information from Adobe. Shockwave is not
something that is high on my priority list.

Sirius wrote:
> Thank you for the info. So it seems that 32 bit Flash works
> with 64 bit Windows XP. Is there a way to make the 32
> bit Shockwave to work with it?
> They are backwards compatible, aren't they?
> There is both a 32 an 64 bit IE in this platform.
>
> Thank you.
>
> "Bobby Johnson" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> There is only 32-bit Shockwave, so it will never work in IE 64-bit.
>>
>> The issue is there has never been a 64-bit version published and it has
>> never in the 64-bit Internet Explorer. The same as it's been for about 5
>> years now!
>>
>> There's no 64-bit Flash, either, 32-bit only. Go to the Adobe web site
>> and it will tell you there is no 64-bit Flash!
>>

>> Sirius wrote:
>>> Hello,
>>>
>>> Are there any known issues with Shockwave on the Win XP Pro 64 bit
>>> platform?
>>>
>>> I have the newest version installed, it's in the Add Remove programs
>>> list. Yet, when I go to a web page that tries to use Shockwave, it
>>> behaves as if it's not installed yet.
>>> It says:"Adobe shockwave player is now installing"
>>> but nothing happens, the progress indicator does not move.
>>> I tried uninstalling using the uninstaller and reinstalling stand alone,
>>> but no success.
>>>
>>> The Flash player however, works fine.
>>>
>>> Is there a fix for this, or do I have to go back to 32 bit?
>>>
>>> Thank you.

Carlos

Hi,
It is not a Shockwave vs Win XP x64 issue.
It is more a Shockwave vs both IE32 and IE64.
For sure, neither Shockwave nor Flash will work in IE64 as they are 32-bit
only.
Flash and Shockwave should work in IE32.
Are you sure you are using IE32 when trying to play Shockwave content?
Otherwise you should raise the issue to Adobe.
Carlos

"Sirius" wrote:

> Thank you for the info. So it seems that 32 bit Flash works
> with 64 bit Windows XP. Is there a way to make the 32
> bit Shockwave to work with it?
> They are backwards compatible, aren't they?
> There is both a 32 an 64 bit IE in this platform.
>
> Thank you.
>
> "Bobby Johnson" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > There is only 32-bit Shockwave, so it will never work in IE 64-bit.
> >
> > The issue is there has never been a 64-bit version published and it has
> > never in the 64-bit Internet Explorer. The same as it's been for about 5
> > years now!
> >
> > There's no 64-bit Flash, either, 32-bit only. Go to the Adobe web site
> > and it will tell you there is no 64-bit Flash!
> >

> > Sirius wrote:
> >> Hello,
> >>
> >> Are there any known issues with Shockwave on the Win XP Pro 64 bit
> >> platform?
> >>
> >> I have the newest version installed, it's in the Add Remove programs
> >> list. Yet, when I go to a web page that tries to use Shockwave, it
> >> behaves as if it's not installed yet.
> >> It says:"Adobe shockwave player is now installing"
> >> but nothing happens, the progress indicator does not move.
> >> I tried uninstalling using the uninstaller and reinstalling stand alone,
> >> but no success.
> >>
> >> The Flash player however, works fine.
> >>
> >> Is there a fix for this, or do I have to go back to 32 bit?
> >>
> >> Thank you.

Bobby Johnson

Carlos,

In Win 7 x64 the Adobe web site comes up with a notice that Shockwave
will not run on that platform, but apparently it does run on XP x64. I
just downloaded it to my XP x64 and it is running in IE 32-bit.

I guess I don't look at XP x64 very often anymore and tend to check
these things out in Win 7 x64.

Bobby

Carlos wrote:
> Hi,
> It is not a Shockwave vs Win XP x64 issue.
> It is more a Shockwave vs both IE32 and IE64.
> For sure, neither Shockwave nor Flash will work in IE64 as they are 32-bit
> only.
> Flash and Shockwave should work in IE32.
> Are you sure you are using IE32 when trying to play Shockwave content?
> Otherwise you should raise the issue to Adobe.
> Carlos
>
> "Sirius" wrote:
>
>> Thank you for the info. So it seems that 32 bit Flash works
>> with 64 bit Windows XP. Is there a way to make the 32
>> bit Shockwave to work with it?
>> They are backwards compatible, aren't they?
>> There is both a 32 an 64 bit IE in this platform.
>>
>> Thank you.
>>
>> "Bobby Johnson" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>> There is only 32-bit Shockwave, so it will never work in IE 64-bit.
>>>
>>> The issue is there has never been a 64-bit version published and it has
>>> never in the 64-bit Internet Explorer. The same as it's been for about 5
>>> years now!
>>>
>>> There's no 64-bit Flash, either, 32-bit only. Go to the Adobe web site
>>> and it will tell you there is no 64-bit Flash!

Sirius

How could I tell if I'm using IE32 or IE64?
The Flash content does work though,
no problem watching animated commercials.....

Thank you.

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi,
> It is not a Shockwave vs Win XP x64 issue.
> It is more a Shockwave vs both IE32 and IE64.
> For sure, neither Shockwave nor Flash will work in IE64 as they are 32-bit
> only.
> Flash and Shockwave should work in IE32.
> Are you sure you are using IE32 when trying to play Shockwave content?
> Otherwise you should raise the issue to Adobe.
> Carlos
>
> "Sirius" wrote:
>
>> Thank you for the info. So it seems that 32 bit Flash works
>> with 64 bit Windows XP. Is there a way to make the 32
>> bit Shockwave to work with it?
>> They are backwards compatible, aren't they?
>> There is both a 32 an 64 bit IE in this platform.
>>
>> Thank you.
>>
>> "Bobby Johnson" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> > There is only 32-bit Shockwave, so it will never work in IE 64-bit.
>> >
>> > The issue is there has never been a 64-bit version published and it has
>> > never in the 64-bit Internet Explorer. The same as it's been for about
>> > 5
>> > years now!
>> >
>> > There's no 64-bit Flash, either, 32-bit only. Go to the Adobe web site
>> > and it will tell you there is no 64-bit Flash!

Carlos

Hi,
Press Shift-Ctrl-Esc to bring up Task Manager.
Look in the Processes tab for Internet Explorer.
32-bit processes have an *32 by its side.
Carlos
P.S.: If you can see flash animations, it is IE32 for sure

"Sirius" wrote:

> How could I tell if I'm using IE32 or IE64?
> The Flash content does work though,
> no problem watching animated commercials.....
>

> Thank you.

> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > Hi,
> > It is not a Shockwave vs Win XP x64 issue.
> > It is more a Shockwave vs both IE32 and IE64.
> > For sure, neither Shockwave nor Flash will work in IE64 as they are 32-bit
> > only.
> > Flash and Shockwave should work in IE32.
> > Are you sure you are using IE32 when trying to play Shockwave content?
> > Otherwise you should raise the issue to Adobe.
> > Carlos
> >
> > "Sirius" wrote:
> >
> >> Thank you for the info. So it seems that 32 bit Flash works
> >> with 64 bit Windows XP. Is there a way to make the 32
> >> bit Shockwave to work with it?
> >> They are backwards compatible, aren't they?
> >> There is both a 32 an 64 bit IE in this platform.
> >>
> >> Thank you.
> >>
> >> "Bobby Johnson" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> >> news:(E-Mail Removed)...

André Brazuca

Try this:

Close IE
Go to C:\WINDOWS\SysWOW64

move the folder "Adobe" to

C:\WINDOWS\system32

Run installation again

Enjoy xD

"Carlos" wrote:

> Hi,
> Press Shift-Ctrl-Esc to bring up Task Manager.
> Look in the Processes tab for Internet Explorer.
> 32-bit processes have an *32 by its side.
> Carlos
> P.S.: If you can see flash animations, it is IE32 for sure
>
> "Sirius" wrote:
>
> > How could I tell if I'm using IE32 or IE64?
> > The Flash content does work though,
> > no problem watching animated commercials.....
> >

> > Thank you.
> >
> > "Carlos" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > > Hi,
> > > It is not a Shockwave vs Win XP x64 issue.
> > > It is more a Shockwave vs both IE32 and IE64.
> > > For sure, neither Shockwave nor Flash will work in IE64 as they are 32-bit
> > > only.
> > > Flash and Shockwave should work in IE32.
> > > Are you sure you are using IE32 when trying to play Shockwave content?
> > > Otherwise you should raise the issue to Adobe.
> > > Carlos

Sirius

André,

This DID work. Thank you so much.
You are so smart, a genius. You are the best.

Thank again. Best wishes. =)

"André Brazuca" <André http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Try this:
>
> Close IE
> Go to C:\WINDOWS\SysWOW64
>
> move the folder "Adobe" to
>
> C:\WINDOWS\system32
>
> Run installation again
>
> Enjoy xD
>
> "Carlos" wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>> Press Shift-Ctrl-Esc to bring up Task Manager.
>> Look in the Processes tab for Internet Explorer.
>> 32-bit processes have an *32 by its side.
>> Carlos
>> P.S.: If you can see flash animations, it is IE32 for sure
>>
>> "Sirius" wrote:
>>
>> > How could I tell if I'm using IE32 or IE64?
>> > The Flash content does work though,
>> > no problem watching animated commercials.....
>> >

>> > Thank you.
>> >
>> > "Carlos" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> > news:(E-Mail Removed)...

Problem with Shockwave plug-in in FF 2.0.0.1 on 64 bit machine Jackson Firefox 4 01-24-2007 12:53 AM
Shockwave Flash plugin MLC Firefox 8 11-26-2004 07:43 AM
Installing shockwave? Axl Firefox 17 12-23-2003 03:38 PM
Shockwave doesn't go Firebird ? why ? Dex® Firefox 14 10-28-2003 07:53 AM
Shockwave player problem Jan Fullbrook Computer Support 4 07-09-2003 09:06 PM

Advertisments