Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Ridiculously slow about:blank in IE7 and IE8

Ridiculously slow about:blank in IE7 and IE8

Leythos

Try my FixIE Tool and Winsock Repair network tool. Download it here
http://www.ms-mvp.org/

your time.

<don@nospam.4me> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Thu, 21 May 2009 16:23:35 +0100, "Brian Cryer" <not.here@localhost>
> wrote:
>
>>I have encountered IE being slow when it was searching for proxy settings.
>>Try Tools > Internet Connections, Connections > LAN Settings, and if its
>>checked then clear "Automatically detect settings".

> Thanks. Yes, the automatically detect was unchecked as I had IE
> configured.

Robert Aldwinckle

(posting from msnews, not USENET)
<don@nospam.4me> wrote in message news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>I use Firefox as my primary browser on all my PCs, home and work.
>
> But there are enough situations where, for specific reasons, I'll want
> to or have to use IE.
>
> It just takes way too long to bring up what I have as my default page,
> which is good old about:blank. Same thing (long delay) for about:tabs
> or about:blank when I open a new tab.

That doesn't tell us anything about any of your other options or add-ons.
E.g. try it with Work Offline already set and without add-ons...
So, Run... (press Win-R and enter

iexplore.exe -nohome -extoff about:blank

Good luck

Robert Aldwinckle
---

> We're talking 2-10 seconds of seeing "connecting..." when it should
> just load a blank page (or the about:tabs page) in an instant. These
> are retrieved locally, not fetched from the internet.
>
> Viruses and malware are not the problem. It happens on every computer
> I'm on, and these computers are all regularly updated and swept for
> malware. They're clean.
>
> Firefox loads blank pages in an instant, and I don't see why IE can't
> do the same. I've read a workaround to create a blank.htm file on my
> local machine and make that the home page. But just on principle, I'd
> like to see IE behave as logic would dictate it should.

don@nospam.4me

On Thu, 21 May 2009 18:57:31 -0400, "Robert Aldwinckle"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>That doesn't tell us anything about any of your other options or add-ons.
>E.g. try it with Work Offline already set and without add-ons...
>So, Run... (press Win-R and enter
>
> iexplore.exe -nohome -extoff about:blank
>

>Good luck
>
>Robert Aldwinckle

I tried this. Same result.

6+ seconds for first about:blank tab. 6+ seconds for second one.

Instant third and fourth about:blank tabs.

6+ seconds for fifth about:blank tab.

Subsequent about:blank tabs loaded instantly.

patyjoe patyjoe is offline
Junior Member

I've been having the same problem for the last few months with IE8. I can reinstall IE8 and it will fly for a little while, but sooner or later about blank attaches to it and it slows down again. I'm begining to think Microsoft is so inthralled with thier bright new IE9 that thier trying to drive us to use it and they've caused this problem themselves. By now they know the "about blank" problem and could fix it if they wanted too, but apparently they don't want to. The only thing wrong with thier strategy (if they are causing the problem to drive us to IE9) is thier driving people into using other browsers and away from Microsoft. Maybe a case of to much book learn'in and not enough horse sense.