Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Cisco > anyone know about: vlan trunking with catalyst 1900 to any other iosdevice (catalyst 2950)

anyone know about: vlan trunking with catalyst 1900 to any other iosdevice (catalyst 2950)

Neddy

Ok, i have about 200 catalyst 1900's on my network all running
enterprise software...
Basically i want to start vlanning them to a centralised point where i
can route traffic thru a server running a web portal (but that's
another story)...

Basically i'm wondering if anyone has any experience with ISL vlan
trucking from a catalyst 1900 - to any IOS enabled device also using
ISL.. (In my case a Catalyst 2950) ... i can't use 802.1q as the
catalyst 1900 only supports ISL trunking.

I'm having issues with the guide cisco have put up over at:
http://www.cisco.com/en/US/tech/tk38...80143c38.shtml

Firmware versions:
Catalyst 1900's are all running 'Enterprise Edition Software' v9.00.06
(WS-C1924-A or WS-C1924-EN)
Catalyst 2950's are running 'Desktop Switch Software 12.1(11)EA1'

Cheers in advance.

Andrey Tarasov

Neddy wrote:
> Ok, i have about 200 catalyst 1900's on my network all running
> enterprise software...
> Basically i want to start vlanning them to a centralised point where i
> can route traffic thru a server running a web portal (but that's
> another story)...
>
> Basically i'm wondering if anyone has any experience with ISL vlan
> trucking from a catalyst 1900 - to any IOS enabled device also using
> ISL.. (In my case a Catalyst 2950) ... i can't use 802.1q as the
> catalyst 1900 only supports ISL trunking.
>
> I'm having issues with the guide cisco have put up over at:
> http://www.cisco.com/en/US/tech/tk38...80143c38.shtml

> Firmware versions:
> Catalyst 1900's are all running 'Enterprise Edition Software' v9.00.06
> (WS-C1924-A or WS-C1924-EN)
> Catalyst 2950's are running 'Desktop Switch Software 12.1(11)EA1'

It will be difficult to find somewhat recent Cisco device supporting
ISL. I don't remember out of top of my head, but 6500 series could be
the only option left.

Regards,
Andrey.

Doug McIntyre

Neddy <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:
>Ok, i have about 200 catalyst 1900's on my network all running
>enterprise software...
>Basically i want to start vlanning them to a centralised point where i
>can route traffic thru a server running a web portal (but that's
>another story)...

>Basically i'm wondering if anyone has any experience with ISL vlan
>trucking from a catalyst 1900 - to any IOS enabled device also using
>ISL.. (In my case a Catalyst 2950) ... i can't use 802.1q as the
>catalyst 1900 only supports ISL trunking.

And the 2950/2960 only supports 802.1q trunking, ISL has been dropped
out of almost all of Cisco's product line for modern gear.

You could get some Catalyst 2924xl's for cheap, they would do ISL trunking.
Although you say you have 200 devices, you have to watch out for
Cisco's STP instant limits, which hard limit the number of VLANs you
can run through devices. Ie. the 2924XL has a max STP instance of 64,
which means you can't break out or even trunk more than 64 VLANs through them.

Otherwise, you'd have to step up to something like a 4500 or 6500 for
the central point with whatever Sup engines support what you need. A
basic 4500 with Sup IV will get you 1024 STP instances, and support
ISL trunking.

Neddy

On May 21, 2:04*pm, Doug McIntyre <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Neddy <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:
> >Ok, i have about 200 catalyst 1900's on my network all running
> >enterprise software...
> >Basically i want to start vlanning them to a centralised point where i
> >can route traffic thru a server running a web portal (but that's
> >another story)...
> >Basically i'm wondering if anyone has any experience with ISL vlan
> >trucking from a catalyst 1900 - to any IOS enabled device also using
> >ISL.. (In my case a Catalyst 2950) ... i can't use 802.1q as the
> >catalyst 1900 only supports ISL trunking.

> And the 2950/2960 only supports 802.1q trunking, ISL has been dropped
> out of almost all of Cisco's product line for modern gear.
>
> You could get some Catalyst 2924xl's for cheap, they would do ISL trunking.
> Although you say you have 200 devices, you have to watch out for
> Cisco's STP instant limits, which hard limit the number of VLANs you
> can run through devices. Ie. the 2924XL has a max STP instance of 64,
> which means you can't break out or even trunk more than 64 VLANs through them.
>
> Otherwise, you'd have to step up to something like a 4500 or 6500 for
> the central point with whatever Sup engines support what you need. A
> basic 4500 with Sup IV will get you 1024 STP instances, and support
> ISL trunking.

I actually just realised that I have two catalyst 6000 series with 2
supervisor modules and one switching module (both are in centralised
points that all the catalysts connect to ... all catalysts are
connected via wireless back-hauls using a Motorola product called
'canopy')..
Is there anyway I could trunk from the catalyst 1900's to the 6000
series, and then trunk the 6000 series to the 2950?? this would make
life MUCH easier...

Otherwise, could I trunk directly to the 6000 series, and ill put some
servers in-line with the 6000 series for the web-portal...

Neddy

On May 21, 1:37*pm, Andrey Tarasov <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Neddy wrote:
> > Ok, i have about 200 catalyst 1900's on my network all running
> > enterprise software...
> > Basically i want to start vlanning them to a centralised point where i
> > can route traffic thru a server running a web portal (but that's
> > another story)...

> > Basically i'm wondering if anyone has any experience with ISL vlan
> > trucking from a catalyst 1900 - to any IOS enabled device also using
> > ISL.. (In my case a Catalyst 2950) ... i can't use 802.1q as the
> > catalyst 1900 only supports ISL trunking.

> > I'm having issues with the guide cisco have put up over at:
> >http://www.cisco.com/en/US/tech/tk38...s_configuratio...

> > Firmware versions:
> > Catalyst 1900's are all running 'Enterprise Edition Software' v9.00.06
> > (WS-C1924-A or WS-C1924-EN)
> > Catalyst 2950's are running 'Desktop Switch Software 12.1(11)EA1'

> It will be difficult to find somewhat recent Cisco device supporting
> ISL. I don't remember out of top of my head, but 6500 series could be
> the only option left.
>
> Regards,
> Andrey.

I have two 6000 series catalysts?

Doug McIntyre

Neddy <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:
>I actually just realised that I have two catalyst 6000 series with 2
>supervisor modules and one switching module (both are in centralised
>points that all the catalysts connect to ... all catalysts are
>connected via wireless back-hauls using a Motorola product called
>'canopy')..
>Is there anyway I could trunk from the catalyst 1900's to the 6000
>series, and then trunk the 6000 series to the 2950?? this would make
>life MUCH easier...

Yes, the 6500 can talk both ISL and 802.1q trunking. You don't have
to preserve the trunking type throughout, you can mix them.

Neddy

On May 21, 10:47*pm, Doug McIntyre <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Neddy <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:
> >I actually just realised that I have two catalyst 6000 series with 2
> >supervisor modules and one switching module (both are in centralised
> >points that all the catalysts connect to ... all catalysts are
> >connected via wireless back-hauls using a Motorola product called
> >'canopy')..
> >Is there anyway I could trunk from the catalyst 1900's to the 6000
> >series, and then trunk the 6000 series to the 2950?? this would make
> >life MUCH easier...

> Yes, the 6500 can talk both ISL and 802.1q trunking. You don't have
> to preserve the trunking type throughout, you can mix them.

Ok.
Do you know of or have any guides as to what to do (configuration
wise) in this case?
Sorry for my ignorance, I'm new to this.

Cheers,

brink

> Do you know of or have any guides as to what to do (configuration
> wise) in this case?
> Sorry for my ignorance, I'm new to this.

The manuals should still be online on CCO. A few things to know/
remember :

- 1900's have a funny way of handling more than the max # of spanning
trees. Preferably do not use VTP and set up manually, allow
only the vlans required towards the 1900
- ISL support in the 6xxx and other switches depends on the port ASICs
not on the supervisor, check module type
- there once was a nice hardware bug which caused occasional unicast
(!) storms when using ISL trunks/channels between 6xxx's and 1900s.
I don't remember the details but I had an interesting time finding out
at the time ...

apart from that, no reason why it shouldn't work. If you want to trunk
via wireless verify it supports max size packets plus dot1q, try ping
using largish packet size like 1500

luck, Frans

Doug McIntyre

Neddy <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:
>On May 21, 10:47=A0pm, Doug McIntyre <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> Neddy <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:
>> >I actually just realised that I have two catalyst 6000 series with 2
>> >supervisor modules and one switching module (both are in centralised
>> >points that all the catalysts connect to ... all catalysts are
>> >connected via wireless back-hauls using a Motorola product called
>> >'canopy')..
>> >Is there anyway I could trunk from the catalyst 1900's to the 6000
>> >series, and then trunk the 6000 series to the 2950?? this would make
>> >life MUCH easier...

>> Yes, the 6500 can talk both ISL and 802.1q trunking. You don't have
>> to preserve the trunking type throughout, you can mix them.

>Ok.
>Do you know of or have any guides as to what to do (configuration
>wise) in this case?

Sure, there's lots of them here.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/tech/tk38...ples_list.html