Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Can't install Java Runtime Environment

Can't install Java Runtime Environment

VanguardLH

alan wrote:

> Yes, there it is --- in C:\Program Files\JRE\ --- a 15.2 MB application
> labeled "jre-6u7-windows-i586-p.exe", created Jan 19,2009. Funny it
> doesn't show up in add/remove programs . . . Should I delete it or in some
> other way get rid of it?

That looks to be a downloaded installation file for the JRE. The add-on
can't use that. You can just delete it. No other files under there?

There was no C:\Program Files\Java folder?

Does the Java Plug-In 2 SSV Helper add-on shown in IE give the path to
the executable file used for that add-on?

> Would you recommend using that "Windows Installer CleanUp Utility" referred
> to in that article before attempting anyhing else? It does say "Caution is
> advised" . . .

I'm skeptical that it will help. Its purpose is to remove non-valid
entries from the Add/Remove Programs applet but there is also mention
that it might do some registry cleanup of programs that get cleaned out.

> Yes, it does show an entry for Microsoft Java VM. Do you suggest that if I
> got rid of that per the instructions, that the JRE might actually work? Or
> that it may be successfully installed? (Presently, there is no Java (Sun)
> entry in the Advanced Settings in Internet Options. The only box checked
> under Microsoft VM is "JIT compiler for virtual machine enabled". Would
> UNchecking that box have any effect?

Is this a fresh install of Windows? The MS JVM was discontinued (forced
by Sun) and shouldn't be used any longer. Uninstall the MS JVM per the
instructions in the KB article. You need to use the Sun JVM.

As I recall, I did not actually have to uninstall the MS JVM to get the
Sun JVM installed. So I still suspect there is a problem with the
permissions on the registry keys.

alan

"VanguardLH" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:gv51dv$tiu$(E-Mail Removed)-september.org...
> alan wrote:
>
>> Yes, there it is --- in C:\Program Files\JRE\ --- a 15.2 MB application
>> labeled "jre-6u7-windows-i586-p.exe", created Jan 19,2009. Funny it
>> doesn't show up in add/remove programs . . . Should I delete it or in
>> some
>> other way get rid of it?

> That looks to be a downloaded installation file for the JRE. The add-on
> can't use that. You can just delete it. No other files under there?

That's the only file in that folder

> There was no C:\Program Files\Java folder?

Nope, just C:\Program Files\JRE

> Does the Java Plug-In 2 SSV Helper add-on shown in IE give the path to
> the executable file used for that add-on?

No path was given, but file name was jp2ssv.dll. I did a search for
that (including hidden folders), but nothing came up. It's
currently enabled. Should I disable it?

>> Would you recommend using that "Windows Installer CleanUp Utility"
>> referred
>> to in that article before attempting anyhing else? It does say "Caution
>> is
>> advised" . . .

> I'm skeptical that it will help. Its purpose is to remove non-valid
> entries from the Add/Remove Programs applet but there is also mention
> that it might do some registry cleanup of programs that get cleaned out.
>
>> Yes, it does show an entry for Microsoft Java VM. Do you suggest that if
>> got rid of that per the instructions, that the JRE might actually work?
>> Or
>> that it may be successfully installed? (Presently, there is no Java (Sun)
>> entry in the Advanced Settings in Internet Options. The only box checked
>> under Microsoft VM is "JIT compiler for virtual machine enabled". Would
>> UNchecking that box have any effect?

> Is this a fresh install of Windows? The MS JVM was discontinued (forced
> by Sun) and shouldn't be used any longer. Uninstall the MS JVM per the
> instructions in the KB article. You need to use the Sun JVM.

The Windows install is fresh only insofar as it was done about 6
months ago.
However, it was done from installation disks which are several years
old . . .

> As I recall, I did not actually have to uninstall the MS JVM to get the
> Sun JVM installed. So I still suspect there is a problem with the
> permissions on the registry keys.

To recap, and to make sure I understand you correctly, are you recommending
the following steps?:
(1) Delete the application "jre-6u7-windows-i586-p.exe" from "C:\Program
Files\JRE"
(2) Uninstall the MS JVM per the instructions in the KB article.
(3) (should I also disable the "jp2ssv.dll" listed in the Add-Ons?)
(4) Finally, download JRE again and attempt installation?

Thanks again (and again) for all the help you've given me. I really
appreciate it.
--
alan

VanguardLH

alan wrote:

> No path was given, but file name was jp2ssv.dll. I did a search for
> that (including hidden folders), but nothing came up. It's
> currently enabled. Should I disable it?

On my host, that file is under C:\Program Files\Java\jre6\bin\. That's
why I wondered if you had a C:\Program Files\Java folder.

Since the file (and folders) don't exist then there is no point in
having that add-on enabled. It can't do anything because its executable
is missing.

> The Windows install is fresh only insofar as it was done about 6
> months ago. However, it was done from installation disks which are several years
> old . . .

If you never before did an install of Sun's Java then you still have MS
Java installed. You don't want that one.

> To recap, and to make sure I understand you correctly, are you recommending
> the following steps?:
> (1) Delete the application "jre-6u7-windows-i586-p.exe" from "C:\Program
> Files\JRE"

Apparently that path was used to download the installation file. Don't
bother keeping it (delete the folder). Then download the latest JRE
from Sun and install that one (but you said you already tried that).

> (2) Uninstall the MS JVM per the instructions in the KB article.

Yep. You don't want it.

> (3) (should I also disable the "jp2ssv.dll" listed in the Add-Ons?)

Yep. The file the add-on requires doesn't exist.

> (4) Finally, download JRE again and attempt installation?

Yep. However, I'm still suspicious of the permissions on registry keys
because yours don't match what I've seen on other hosts, including mine,
and from what I read for permissions on those keys.

alan

"VanguardLH" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:gv582b$4h9$(E-Mail Removed)-september.org...
> alan wrote:
>
>> No path was given, but file name was jp2ssv.dll. I did a search for
>> that (including hidden folders), but nothing came up. It's
>> currently enabled. Should I disable it?

> On my host, that file is under C:\Program Files\Java\jre6\bin\. That's
> why I wondered if you had a C:\Program Files\Java folder.
>
> Since the file (and folders) don't exist then there is no point in
> having that add-on enabled. It can't do anything because its executable
> is missing.
>
>> The Windows install is fresh only insofar as it was done about 6
>> months ago. However, it was done from installation disks which are
>> several years
>> old . . .

> If you never before did an install of Sun's Java then you still have MS
> Java installed. You don't want that one.
>
>> To recap, and to make sure I understand you correctly, are you
>> recommending
>> the following steps?:
>> (1) Delete the application "jre-6u7-windows-i586-p.exe" from
>> "C:\Program
>> Files\JRE"

> Apparently that path was used to download the installation file. Don't
> bother keeping it (delete the folder). Then download the latest JRE
> from Sun and install that one (but you said you already tried that).
>
>> (2) Uninstall the MS JVM per the instructions in the KB article.

> Yep. You don't want it.
>
>> (3) (should I also disable the "jp2ssv.dll" listed in the Add-Ons?)

> Yep. The file the add-on requires doesn't exist.
>
>> (4) Finally, download JRE again and attempt installation?

> Yep. However, I'm still suspicious of the permissions on registry keys
> because yours don't match what I've seen on other hosts, including mine,
> and from what I read for permissions on those keys.

I'm wondering about those registry keys as well --- the main registry entry
(HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\JavaSoft) shows permissions for Administrator
(full control and read) and for System (special permission). However, the
key referred to in the 1402 error report
(HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\JavaSoft\Java
Runtime Environment) shows *only* for Administrator (full control and
ead) ---- shouldn't "System" be having some permission as well? Entries for
other programs I've got (although I haven't looked at ALL of them) do seem
to include "System" permissions in the sub-folders as well. Could this be
the problem? It does look a bit daunting to add a permission, so I'm not
sure if I want to take the chance of ****ing something up, or if it's even
the thing to do . . .

alan

"wisdomkiller & pain" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
message news:4a16251a$0$64025$(E-Mail Removed)4all.s e...
> alan wrote:

>> Oddly enough, the page I was looking at in Firefox
>> (http://www.islamic-awareness.org/His...i/PERF558.html) and
>> which prompted me to install Java Runtime Environment was visible with no
>> problems at all in IE6. (And I have Java installed NOwhere on my system .
>> . .)
>>

> Well, since you still have IE6, you may have had luck with the builtin
> msjava vm then.

That makes sense . . .

VanguardLH

alan wrote:

> I'm wondering about those registry keys as well --- the main registry entry
> (HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\JavaSoft) shows permissions for Administrator
> (full control and read) and for System (special permission). However, the
> key referred to in the 1402 error report
> (HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\JavaSoft\Java
> Runtime Environment) shows *only* for Administrator (full control and
> ead) ---- shouldn't "System" be having some permission as well? Entries for
> other programs I've got (although I haven't looked at ALL of them) do seem
> to include "System" permissions in the sub-folders as well. Could this be
> the problem? It does look a bit daunting to add a permission, so I'm not
> sure if I want to take the chance of ****ing something up, or if it's even
> the thing to do . . .

For me, my registry has:

key: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE
permissions: Everyone (Full, Read), SYSTEM (Full, Read)

Every subkey under that has the same permissions. That is because they
inherit the parent's permissions (check Advanced permission properties).

The SOFTWARE key does not inherit permissions but its subkeys inherit
from it. So you might be able to just change permissions on the
SOFTWARE key. Currently you have SYSTEM already listed to have
permissions. Administrator is just one account and the SOFTWARE key
should not show permissions for just one account. If anything, it
should show a group of user accounts. Administrators (notice the "s")
is a group. So is Everyone. When looking at who has permissions, a
single-head icon represents one account while a double-head icon
represents a group.

For now, just add the Everyone group to the SOFTWARE registry key with
Full and Read permissions. If it doesn't help, you can always remove
the newly added permission.

DVD9 DVD9 is offline
Junior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by alan

I'm wondering about those registry keys as well --- the main registry entry
(HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\JavaSoft) shows permissions for Administrator
(full control and read) and for System (special permission). However, the
key referred to in the 1402 error report
(HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\JavaSoft\Java
Runtime Environment) shows *only* for Administrator (full control and
ead) ---- shouldn't "System" be having some permission as well?

Yes it should!

I had the same problem and after right clicking on the "JavaSoft" key and giving "SYSTEM" "full control" I ran the java install without any further problems.
--

Last edited by DVD9; 02-25-2010 at 03:04 AM..