Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Can't install Java Runtime Environment

Can't install Java Runtime Environment

alan

"VanguardLH" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:gv3577$pbe$(E-Mail Removed)-september.org...
> alan wrote:
>
>> "VanguardLH" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:gv2md6$sbr$(E-Mail Removed)-september.org...

>>> Use the User Accounts applet in Control Panel and look at your account
>>> under which you log into Windows. Look next to the icon for a summary
>>> of account settings. Also, if you don't see the "Change my account
>>> type" then you are NOT logged under an admin-level account. If your
>>> account is not an admin-level account, logout and login using the
>>> built-in Administrator account.

> Guess it was obvious to me but not to you.
>
>> In User Accounts, it shows:
>> Pick a task ...
>> change an acct

> Pick an account.
>
>> crearte a new acct
>> change the way users log on or off
>>
>> or pick an acct to change
>> (under which two icons show: "Administrator [Computer Administrator]" and
>> "Guest" [Guest acct is off]

> Pick an account. However, since only Administrator is shown, that must
> be the account under which you have been logging under -- a very UNWISE
> decision. If your user profile gets corrupted, you won't have an
> admin-level account to repair the corrupted profile or to define a new
> user account. The Administrator account should NEVER be used for
> anything other than an emergency.
>
> It's a bit odd that you had no clue as to under what account you were
> logging into Windows.

Perhaps it's odd to you, but I had no idea as to what account I was using
because I never had to "log in" to my computer at home; I just turn it on.

>> Although it's a bit different from what you've described, I'd say it's
>> safe
>> to assume from the above that I am, in fact, logged in on an admin-level
>> account.

> Right-clicking on My Computer icon in the desktop and looking at
> properties would've shown the account name under which you login.
>
>> Footnote: as I think I mentioned before, I've downloaded and installed
>> plenty of programs before, and just to test it again, I successfully
>> downloaded and installed GIMP just a few minutes ago with no problems . .
>> .
>> I also tried downloading and installing an older version of Runtime
>> (5.0),
>> but got the same error message . . . very weird.

> Haven't a clue WHOSE runtime libraries you installed.

First tried Java Runtime Version 6 from the site you mentioned earlier
(http://java.sun.com/javase/downloads/index.jsp), then tried Java Runtime
Version 5 from olderversion.com
(http://www.oldversion.com/download_J...pdate_15.html).
While there were no problems with downloads, I was not able to install
either one of them . . .

> Have you gone into the registry and right-clicked on the identified key
> to then look at what permissions are on that key?

Just now did so. It shows Administrator ("full" and "read" are checked,
"special permissions" is unchecked)

> Have you tried booting into Windows' Safe Mode and then tried the
> stand-alone Flash installer?

No, I haven't tried that. What do you mean by "stand-alone Flash
installer"? (It's not Adobe Flash Player I'm trying to install, it's Java
Runtime Environment --- are you suggesting that I try installation in Safe
Mode?

I'm sure I've been revealing my computer ignorance and I do appreciate your
patience and thank you for all your help.

--
alan

wisdomkiller & pain

alan wrote:

> Using XP Pro, SP3, Firefox version 2.
>
> Downloaded the plugin for Java Runtime Environment, but installation fails
> with this error message:
>
> "Error 1402. Could not open key:
> HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\JavaSoft\Java
> Runtime Environment. Verify that you have sufficient
> access to that key, or contact your support personnel."
>
> I've googled around for an explanation, and haven't been able to come up
> with anything.
> Any suggestions would be appreciated.
> Thanks.

Citation fom a thread in
http://forums.ni.com/ni/board/messag...sage.id=148774

"The error message was actually coming from the Microsoft Installer, not
from anything related to National Instruments. Also, ironically, what the
message said was spot on with one exception, while I personally had access
to the registry key, the installer didn’t. What I ended up doing was going
into the registry using regedit and setting the permissions on the key in
questions such that “Everyone” had full access. After that I uninstalled
LabView then reinstalled and it worked fine this time. The step by step
follows:

1) Open the registry editor by selecting "Run" from the start menu and then
typing in "regedit".

2) Browse through the registry and select the entry mentioned in the error
message.

3) Choose "Permissions..." from either the edit menu or by right-clicking on
the registry key's parent directory.

4) Click the "Advanced" button to add a new user.

5) Type in "Everyone" as the new user and click OK (it may not be necessary
to give everyone full control but this is what I did and it worked).

6) Configure the permissions for user "Everyone" to "Full Control"

7) Uninstall LabView (if necessary) and re-install."

(Of course, you may omit step 7 here)

wisdomkiller & pain

alan wrote:

> Using XP Pro, SP3, Firefox version 2.
>
> Downloaded the plugin for Java Runtime Environment, but installation fails
> with this error message:
>
> "Error 1402. Could not open key:
> HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\JavaSoft\Java
> Runtime Environment. Verify that you have sufficient
> access to that key, or contact your support personnel."
>
> I've googled around for an explanation, and haven't been able to come up
> with anything.
> Any suggestions would be appreciated.
> Thanks.

Citation fom a thread in
http://forums.ni.com/ni/board/messag...sage.id=148774

"The error message was actually coming from the Microsoft Installer, not
from anything related to National Instruments. Also, ironically, what the
message said was spot on with one exception, while I personally had access
to the registry key, the installer didn’t. What I ended up doing was going
into the registry using regedit and setting the permissions on the key in
questions such that “Everyone” had full access. After that I uninstalled
LabView then reinstalled and it worked fine this time. The step by step
follows:

1) Open the registry editor by selecting "Run" from the start menu and then
typing in "regedit".

2) Browse through the registry and select the entry mentioned in the error
message.

3) Choose "Permissions..." from either the edit menu or by right-clicking on
the registry key's parent directory.

4) Click the "Advanced" button to add a new user.

5) Type in "Everyone" as the new user and click OK (it may not be necessary
to give everyone full control but this is what I did and it worked).

6) Configure the permissions for user "Everyone" to "Full Control"

7) Uninstall LabView (if necessary) and re-install."

(Of course, you may omit step 7 here)

VanguardLH

alan wrote:

> "VanguardLH" wrote ...
>>
>> It's a bit odd that you had no clue as to under what account you
>> were logging into Windows.

> Perhaps it's odd to you, but I had no idea as to what account I was
> using because I never had to "log in" to my computer at home; I just
> turn it on.

One, it means you never defined a password for the Administrator
account. That means anyone can walk up to your computer and be you to
do whatever they way. Two, I believe it also means you will never be
able to define a scheduled task since Task Scheduler requires a
password for events you define for it.

Are you logging into a workgroup (typical for a home PC) or are you
logging under a domain (typical for a work host)? A local
Administrator account has all permissions but a domain Administrator
account (for your host only) may not have full permissions.

>> Have you gone into the registry and right-clicked on the identified
>> key to then look at what permissions are on that key?

> Just now did so. It shows Administrator ("full" and "read" are
> checked, "special permissions" is unchecked)

I just looked myself. Administrator is not listed. However, the
Everyone and SYSTEM groups are listed and have Full and Read
permissions selected. I then checked each subkey since those represent
different versions of Java and they also had the Everyone and SYSTEM
groups listed with Full and Read permissions. If you check the
advanced settings for each of those keys and subkeys, they should be
inheriting their permissions from the parent. That means the Javasoft
parent key should also list the Everyone and SYSTEM groups with Full
and Read permission and the same for the SOFTWARE parent key. I have
seen users report the 1402 error when the SOFTWARE key didn't have
sufficient permissions.

You said the Administrator account was listed. Was it just
"Administrator" or was it "Administrators"? One is an account, the
other is a group.

Is the Everyone and SYSTEM groups listed in those permissions? I don't
even have the Administrator account listed (because it is included
under the Everyone group). Make sure both Everyone and SYSTEM groups
are listed (I don't remember which one is used by Microsoft's
installer). What I've read of this error points to a permissions
problem (e.g.,
http://www.sperrysoftware.com/kb/que...l.%22+message).

Before making any changes to the registry, be sure to export the keys
to provide for recovery.

>> Have you tried booting into Windows' Safe Mode and then tried the
>> stand-alone Flash installer?

> No, I haven't tried that. What do you mean by "stand-alone Flash
> installer"? (It's not Adobe Flash Player I'm trying to install, it's
> Java Runtime Environment --- are you suggesting that I try
> installation in Safe Mode?

Oops, it was a l-o-n-g night. In Safe Mode, use the downloaded latest
JRE installer. When you go to their site, you are given the choice of
downloading their online installation file. This is not the JRE but a
downloader. You download it, run it, and it downloads and installs the
JRE. It's only 0.58MB in size. Instead download their offline
installation file which is 15.53MB and run that one.

Many security programs are inactive in Safe Mode and why I suggested
rebooting into it. However, most good anti-virus program are still
active in Safe Mode. Make sure your anti-virus program or any other
security programs you installed are inactive when doing the install.

Although you say that there is no Java currently installed in your
host, open Task Manager and check under its Processes to make sure
there is no java.exe process running.

Do you also see the 1402 error message in the Event Viewer? If so,
does it have any more info than the error message that you saw?

You said that no Java is installed on your host. Just to be sure, are
there NO Java entries listed in Add/Remove Programs applet? In
Internet Options -> Programs -> Manage Add-ons, and selecting to show
all add-ons (for IE, are any Java plug-ins listed?

Are you using or have you used any registry cleaner utility? Those can
screw over the registry. Even if they show you what they propose to
change, users often don't understand the registry and let the cleaner
go ahead and make changes which are not valid. Some include backups so
you can revert from their changes (but if your host becomes unbootable
then you can't get into Windows to run their cleaner to do their
restore).

alan

"wisdomkiller & pain" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
message news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> alan wrote:
>
>> Using XP Pro, SP3, Firefox version 2.
>>
>> Downloaded the plugin for Java Runtime Environment, but installation
>> fails
>> with this error message:
>>
>> "Error 1402. Could not open key:
>> HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\JavaSoft\Java
>> Runtime Environment. Verify that you have sufficient
>> access to that key, or contact your support personnel."
>>
>> I've googled around for an explanation, and haven't been able to come up
>> with anything.
>> Any suggestions would be appreciated.
>> Thanks.

> Citation fom a thread in
> http://forums.ni.com/ni/board/messag...sage.id=148774
>
> "The error message was actually coming from the Microsoft Installer, not
> from anything related to National Instruments. Also, ironically, what the
> message said was spot on with one exception, while I personally had access
> to the registry key, the installer didn’t. What I ended up doing was going
> into the registry using regedit and setting the permissions on the key in
> questions such that “Everyone” had full access. After that I uninstalled
> LabView then reinstalled and it worked fine this time. The step by step
> follows:
>
> 1) Open the registry editor by selecting "Run" from the start menu and
> then
> typing in "regedit".
>
> 2) Browse through the registry and select the entry mentioned in the error
> message.
>
> 3) Choose "Permissions..." from either the edit menu or by right-clicking
> on
> the registry key's parent directory.
>
> 4) Click the "Advanced" button to add a new user.
>
> 5) Type in "Everyone" as the new user and click OK (it may not be
> necessary
> to give everyone full control but this is what I did and it worked).
>
> 6) Configure the permissions for user "Everyone" to "Full Control"
>
> 7) Uninstall LabView (if necessary) and re-install."
>
> (Of course, you may omit step 7 here)

Thank you, wisdomkiller, for your suggestion. However, since I've confirmed
that I, as administrator have permission on that registry key, coupled with
the fact that it's only Jav Runtime that I'm unable to install (no problems
with any other programs at all), and in addition to the fact that I'm just
plain leery of going into the registry and changing ANYthing as I hasn't
even heard of registries until a year ago (and still know nothing abot
them), and having heard dire tales of massive ****-ups due to ill-advised or
poorly understood registry changes, I'll take the ignorant coward's position
at this time and will not make that change.

Oddly enough, the page I was looking at in Firefox
(http://www.islamic-awareness.org/His...i/PERF558.html) and
which prompted me to install Java Runtime Environment was visible with no
problems at all in IE6. (And I have Java installed NOwhere on my system . .
..)

Thanks for your help.
--
alan

alan

"VanguardLH" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:gv4c2i$ncq$(E-Mail Removed)-september.org...
> alan wrote:
>
>> "VanguardLH" wrote ...
>>>
>>> It's a bit odd that you had no clue as to under what account you
>>> were logging into Windows.

>> Perhaps it's odd to you, but I had no idea as to what account I was
>> using because I never had to "log in" to my computer at home; I just
>> turn it on.

> One, it means you never defined a password for the Administrator
> account. That means anyone can walk up to your computer and be you to
> do whatever they way. Two, I believe it also means you will never be
> able to define a scheduled task since Task Scheduler requires a
> password for events you define for it.

(1) My computer is at home, I live by myself, and keep an eye on my guests,
so I'm not really worried about anyone doing what they want
(2) I've never used Task Scheduler, nor do I plan to.

> Are you logging into a workgroup (typical for a home PC) or are you
> logging under a domain (typical for a work host)? A local
> Administrator account has all permissions but a domain Administrator
> account (for your host only) may not have full permissions.

Logging into Workgroup.

>>> Have you gone into the registry and right-clicked on the identified
>>> key to then look at what permissions are on that key?

>> Just now did so. It shows Administrator ("full" and "read" are
>> checked, "special permissions" is unchecked)

> I just looked myself. Administrator is not listed. However, the
> Everyone and SYSTEM groups are listed and have Full and Read
> permissions selected. I then checked each subkey since those represent
> different versions of Java and they also had the Everyone and SYSTEM
> groups listed with Full and Read permissions. If you check the
> advanced settings for each of those keys and subkeys, they should be
> inheriting their permissions from the parent. That means the Javasoft
> parent key should also list the Everyone and SYSTEM groups with Full
> and Read permission and the same for the SOFTWARE parent key. I have
> seen users report the 1402 error when the SOFTWARE key didn't have
> sufficient permissions.
>
> You said the Administrator account was listed. Was it just
> "Administrator" or was it "Administrators"? One is an account, the
> other is a group.

It's listed as "Administrator" (singular). And while the key for JVE lists
only that permission (full and read), the "parent" (?) key, labeled
"Javasoft" lists both "Administrator" (full and read checked) and "System"
(full and read NOT checked, special permissions is checked.

(Looking at a few other keys for other programs, none of the ones I've seen
list "Everyone")

> Is the Everyone and SYSTEM groups listed in those permissions? I don't
> even have the Administrator account listed (because it is included
> under the Everyone group). Make sure both Everyone and SYSTEM groups
> are listed (I don't remember which one is used by Microsoft's
> installer). What I've read of this error points to a permissions
> problem (e.g.,
> http://www.sperrysoftware.com/kb/que...l.%22+message).
>
> Before making any changes to the registry, be sure to export the keys
> to provide for recovery.
>
>>> Have you tried booting into Windows' Safe Mode and then tried the
>>> stand-alone Flash installer?

>> No, I haven't tried that. What do you mean by "stand-alone Flash
>> installer"? (It's not Adobe Flash Player I'm trying to install, it's
>> Java Runtime Environment --- are you suggesting that I try
>> installation in Safe Mode?

> Oops, it was a l-o-n-g night. In Safe Mode, use the downloaded latest
> JRE installer. When you go to their site, you are given the choice of
> downloading their online installation file. This is not the JRE but a
> downloader. You download it, run it, and it downloads and installs the
> JRE. It's only 0.58MB in size. Instead download their offline
> installation file which is 15.53MB and run that one.
>
> Many security programs are inactive in Safe Mode and why I suggested
> rebooting into it. However, most good anti-virus program are still
> active in Safe Mode. Make sure your anti-virus program or any other
> security programs you installed are inactive when doing the install.

> Although you say that there is no Java currently installed in your
> host, open Task Manager and check under its Processes to make sure
> there is no java.exe process running.

No java.exe is running, even when the page in question
(http://www.islamic-awareness.org/His...i/PERF558.html) is
being viewed quite well in IE6. (It was Firefox that told me I needed the
JVE and which prompted all this . . .)

> Do you also see the 1402 error message in the Event Viewer? If so,
> does it have any more info than the error message that you saw?

No, it does not show up in the Event Viewer

> You said that no Java is installed on your host. Just to be sure, are
> there NO Java entries listed in Add/Remove Programs applet? In
> Internet Options -> Programs -> Manage Add-ons, and selecting to show
> all add-ons (for IE, are any Java plug-ins listed?

No Java entries in the Add/Remove programs. However --- aha! (maybe) ---
among the add-ons listed as "Add-ons that have been used by Internet
Explorer" (although it's IE 6 I've got, not IE is: "Java(tm) Plug-In 2 SSV
Helper". It shows that it's Enabled.

> Are you using or have you used any registry cleaner utility? Those can
> screw over the registry. Even if they show you what they propose to
> change, users often don't understand the registry and let the cleaner
> go ahead and make changes which are not valid. Some include backups so
> you can revert from their changes (but if your host becomes unbootable
> then you can't get into Windows to run their cleaner to do their
> restore).

I've never used a registry cleaner.

Thank you again for all your help.

--
alan

wisdomkiller & pain

alan wrote:

> Oddly enough, the page I was looking at in Firefox
> (http://www.islamic-awareness.org/His...i/PERF558.html) and
> which prompted me to install Java Runtime Environment was visible with no
> problems at all in IE6. (And I have Java installed NOwhere on my system .
> . .)

Well, since you still have IE6, you may have had luck with the builtin
msjava vm then.

wisdomkiller & pain

alan wrote:

> among the add-ons listed as "Add-ons that have been used by Internet
> Explorer" (although it's IE 6 I've got, not IE is: "Java(tm) Plug-In 2 SSV
> Helper". It shows that it's Enabled.

Is a path for that add-on listed (in IE6's listing of add-ons)? If so,
does it point to C:\Program Files\Java\<version>\bin? The add-on
couldn't be enabled unless the file for it existed. If it exists, there
*is* something of Java installed on your host. If you use Windows
Explorer to visit that path, are there files there (you may need to show
hidden files)?

Also, is there a Java applet under Control Panel? If so, what is listed
when you click the About button under the General tab panel?

If Sun Java were uninstalled, it is odd that there is a Javasoft
registry entry. There seems to be something of Java still installed.
See if http://support.microsoft.com/kb/290301 helps.

Following the following instructions to determine if you still have the
old and defunct Microsoft Java VM installed. See instruction at:

http://www.java.com/en/download/help/uninstall_msvm.xml

alan

"VanguardLH" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:gv4mf4$cnf$(E-Mail Removed)-september.org...
> alan wrote:
>
>> among the add-ons listed as "Add-ons that have been used by Internet
>> Explorer" (although it's IE 6 I've got, not IE is: "Java(tm) Plug-In 2
>> SSV
>> Helper". It shows that it's Enabled.

> Is a path for that add-on listed (in IE6's listing of add-ons)? If so,
> does it point to C:\Program Files\Java\<version>\bin? The add-on
> couldn't be enabled unless the file for it existed. If it exists, there
> *is* something of Java installed on your host. If you use Windows
> Explorer to visit that path, are there files there (you may need to show
> hidden files)?

Yes, there it is --- in C:\Program Files\JRE\ --- a 15.2 MB application
labeled "jre-6u7-windows-i586-p.exe", created Jan 19,2009. Funny it
doesn't show up in add/remove programs . . . Should I delete it or in some
other way get rid of it?

> Also, is there a Java applet under Control Panel? If so, what is listed
> when you click the About button under the General tab panel?

No, there is no Java applet under Control Panel . . .

> If Sun Java were uninstalled, it is odd that there is a Javasoft
> registry entry. There seems to be something of Java still installed.
> See if http://support.microsoft.com/kb/290301 helps.

Would you recommend using that "Windows Installer CleanUp Utility" referred
to in that article before attempting anyhing else? It does say "Caution is
advised" . . .

> Following the following instructions to determine if you still have the
> old and defunct Microsoft Java VM installed. See instruction at:
>
> http://www.java.com/en/download/help/uninstall_msvm.xml

Yes, it does show an entry for Microsoft Java VM. Do you suggest that if I
got rid of that per the instructions, that the JRE might actually work? Or
that it may be successfully installed? (Presently, there is no Java (Sun)
entry in the Advanced Settings in Internet Options. The only box checked
under Microsoft VM is "JIT compiler for virtual machine enabled". Would
UNchecking that box have any effect?

Thanks SO much for all the help and info you've given me.
--
alan