Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Windows 64bit > Question re: XpPro-64bit to Win7

Question re: XpPro-64bit to Win7

RoseW

I tried the download 'advisory' without reading extremely carefully. The
advisory doesn't apply to the 64bit OS.
Since many here are posting that Win7 is being 'tested out' on their 64 bit
system I'm assuming that XpPro was in place previously or alongside.

I got a new computer in the past 6 months and went with the 64bit for access
to more ram on board and in the back crevices of my brain thought it would
be appropriate for a Windows7 environment.
Everything runs well at the moment although occassionally when there are
updates e.g. Adobe Reader and sometimes a MSupdate there will be a BSOD-
restart and whatever was a blip works itself out. The recent Adobe reader
took 4 or 5 restarts before regular operation-no error in the Management
list. It was a font control dll that wasn't loading. Its used mainly for
digital imaging processing.(Adobe Lightroom 64 bit and other image software)

Is there a check list for software, hardware for the 64 bit as in the
advisory for regular Xp? My other machine XpHome 32bit was acceptable
except for Nero 7 , Acronis True Image would need to be uninstalled and not
usable on Windows7. Nero might experience minor issues. Canon Ip4000 printer
will require Windows update to make this device compatible as well The
Realteck AC97 Audio.

I would like to know ahead what devices and programs might as well be
uninstalled and find alternates for the Xppro 64bit. Perhaps Microsoft has
published a list that I haven't found?
Rose
--
http://rwgallery.gogax.com

Carlos

Hi,
Don't know of a consolidated list you are looking for, but you might be able
to do your homework by browsint these two places:
http://www.planetamd64.com/index.php?autocom=portal
and
http://www.start64.com
Carlos

"RoseW" wrote:

> I tried the download 'advisory' without reading extremely carefully. The
> advisory doesn't apply to the 64bit OS.
> Since many here are posting that Win7 is being 'tested out' on their 64 bit
> system I'm assuming that XpPro was in place previously or alongside.
>
> I got a new computer in the past 6 months and went with the 64bit for access
> to more ram on board and in the back crevices of my brain thought it would
> be appropriate for a Windows7 environment.
> Everything runs well at the moment although occassionally when there are
> updates e.g. Adobe Reader and sometimes a MSupdate there will be a BSOD-
> restart and whatever was a blip works itself out. The recent Adobe reader
> took 4 or 5 restarts before regular operation-no error in the Management
> list. It was a font control dll that wasn't loading. Its used mainly for
> digital imaging processing.(Adobe Lightroom 64 bit and other image software)
>
> Is there a check list for software, hardware for the 64 bit as in the
> advisory for regular Xp? My other machine XpHome 32bit was acceptable
> except for Nero 7 , Acronis True Image would need to be uninstalled and not
> usable on Windows7. Nero might experience minor issues. Canon Ip4000 printer
> will require Windows update to make this device compatible as well The
> Realteck AC97 Audio.
>
> I would like to know ahead what devices and programs might as well be
> uninstalled and find alternates for the Xppro 64bit. Perhaps Microsoft has
> published a list that I haven't found?
> Rose
> --
> http://rwgallery.gogax.com

Kodak Printer 5500 Win7 build 7000 Kue2 Windows 64bit 5 01-26-2010 10:47 PM
Win7 Pro x64 dies with BSOD on my toshiba laptop (Win7 Retail/RTM) Warren Postma Windows 64bit 6 11-20-2009 11:23 PM
win7 32 Or 64 Kue2 Windows 64bit 5 01-13-2009 04:27 PM
Dual-boot Vista & Win7 restore points Rom Windows 64bit 8 01-12-2009 03:36 PM
RE: Win7 beta expires? Carlos Windows 64bit 0 01-12-2009 01:19 AM

Advertisments