Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Java > better news group?

better news group?

grasp06110

Hi Everybody!

I love(d) this site but gosh is it full of a lot of people selling
sneakers, t-shirts, porn, etc. these days. Is there a cleaner site
out there? How would you let some one know if there was with out
letting the spammers know about it?

Thanks,
John

Andrew Thompson

On May 21, 1:14*am, grasp06110 <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> ..
> I love(d) this site ...

'This' is not a site, it is a usenet newsgroup.
Usenet predates the internet and 'web sites'.

Speaking of web sites, some people have had a
successful time suppressing the spam by blocking
all posts from Google groups. Those people would
not see your post, my post, nor the 95% of spam
that is posted through Google groups.

--
Andrew T.
pscode.org

Lew

Andrew Thompson wrote:
> On May 21, 1:14 am, grasp06110 <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> ..
>> I love(d) this site ...

> 'This' is not a site, it is a usenet newsgroup.
> Usenet predates the internet and 'web sites'.
>
> Speaking of web sites, some people have had a
> successful time suppressing the spam by blocking
> all posts from Google groups. Those people would
> not see your post, my post, nor the 95% of spam
> that is posted through Google groups.

There are those who'd include your posts in the 95%, Andrew, although I'm not
one of them.

--
Lew

Andrew Thompson

On May 21, 11:59*am, Andrew Thompson <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> On May 21, 1:14*am, grasp06110 <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
> > ..
> > I love(d) this site ...

> 'This' is not a site, it is a usenet newsgroup.
> Usenet predates the internet..

Oops - the WWW.

--
Andrew T.
pscode.org

Andrew Thompson

On May 21, 1:24*pm, Lew <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> There are those who'd include your posts in the 95%, Andrew, ...

Huhh? Who? Where? When?

The last time I read a thread where I recall any
suggestion along those lines was when Paul Lutus
compared me to a used car salesman for having
Google (and one or two other ..amazon etc.) ads
on my site*. But that was a long time ago.

* I did not argue with him (AFAIR), since I did
have the ads at that time and few people took
his rants seriously, anyway. ( Plus I knew I'd
be sticking around the groups, a lot longer than
he would .

--
Andrew T.
pscode.org

Mike Schilling

Andrew Thompson wrote:
> On May 21, 1:24 pm, Lew <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> There are those who'd include your posts in the 95%, Andrew, ...

> Huhh? Who? Where? When?
>
> The last time I read a thread where I recall any
> suggestion along those lines was when Paul Lutus
> compared me to a used car salesman for having
> Google (and one or two other ..amazon etc.) ads
> on my site*. But that was a long time ago.

What is it about c.l.j.p posters named "Paul"?

Lew

Andrew Thompson wrote:
> On May 21, 1:24 pm, Lew <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> There are those who'd include your posts in the 95%, Andrew, ...

> Huhh? Who? Where? When?

It was a joke. If anyone makes unpopular posts around here, I'm a prime
candidate.

--
Lew

Andrew Thompson

On May 21, 11:15*pm, Lew <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Andrew Thompson wrote:
> > On May 21, 1:24 pm, Lew <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> >> There are those who'd include your posts in the 95%, Andrew, ...

> > Huhh? *Who? *Where? When?

> It was a joke. *

Oops. My bad.

--
Andrew T.

Arne Vajh°j

Mike Schilling wrote:
> Andrew Thompson wrote:
>> On May 21, 1:24 pm, Lew <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>> There are those who'd include your posts in the 95%, Andrew, ...

>> Huhh? Who? Where? When?
>>
>> The last time I read a thread where I recall any
>> suggestion along those lines was when Paul Lutus
>> compared me to a used car salesman for having
>> Google (and one or two other ..amazon etc.) ads
>> on my site*. But that was a long time ago.

> What is it about c.l.j.p posters named "Paul"?

There must be more quite normal Paul's posting here.

We have had one rather un-normal Paul the last couple
of years.

Arne

Lew

Andrew Thompson wrote:
> Oops. My bad.

No, it's on me. It was a bad joke, not funny, and I shouldn't have done it.
I apologize.

For the record, Andrew is a valuable contributor to the Java forums.

That is not a joke.

--
Lew