Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Enjoy the Ride:

Enjoy the Ride:

Fred

"JAMES" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:39UQl.43367$(E-Mail Removed)...

> "Fred" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:gv033g$scu$(E-Mail Removed)-september.org...
>
> "*Less*" <*(E-Mail Removed)*> wrote in message
> news:7PLQl.76791$(E-Mail Removed)...
>> This is great everyone,hugs and enjoy. Have a great day!

> Great? It's boring nonsense.
>
> Moron

Thanks. It obviously appeals to some, but to me it's one of those
warm-fuzzy, puke-inducing things that you are liable to encounter at one of
those sickening 'born-again christian' rallies.

XS11E

"*Less*" <*(E-Mail Removed)*> wrote:

> This is great everyone,hugs and enjoy. Have a great day!

You misspelled, it's not "great", it's "glurg*."

Please don't post glurg, it's nauseating.

Thank you.

*If you don't know what glurg is look here:

COPYRIGHT 2001 American City Business Journals, Inc.
Publication Date: 28-SEP-01
Author: STIEFFEL, KRISTEN

The fiber-optic pipelines of the Internet are awash with glurg. Inboxes
everywhere runneth over with the stuff. Many of us are glurged out.

What is "glurg," you ask? It's that sappy, mushy sentimental goop that
people forward to their friends, loved ones, colleagues, acquaintances,
high school classmates and other people with whom they want to stay in
touch. Glurg has become the universal substitute for the writing of
actual letters.

Some of us now are suffering from glurg overload. Spam, or unsolicited
e-mail advertising, is bad enough, but at least it is professionally
presented. Spammers don't send messages in which every line starts with
[greater than][greater than][greater than][greater than] and in which
all the lines are broken in half - or maybe thirds.

No one who forwards glurg, it seems, ever thinks to copy the dreck and
paste it into a new message. They just hit the "forward" button and
send the e-mail, along with all the addresses of everyone who ever
received it, and multiple occurrences of "---- Original Message ----"
in a fashion that my husband refers to as "Russian nested e-mails."

A tech support colleague recently pointed out the privacy-infringement
hazard of being in the address book of careless forwarders. Having your
e-mail address enclosed in a near-infinite regression of for wards is
sort of like having your phone number circulated on the Internet.

At first there was something perversely heartwarming about glurg, no
matter how sloppy the presentation. "How nice," I'd think, upon
receiving some panacea that wasted five precious minutes. (If you woke
up this morning with more health than illness, you are more blessed
than the million who will not survive this week.) And so, heart full of
kindness, I would send it on to everyone I know, so they could waste
their time, too.

After awhile, I started seeing the same ones coming around again, like
so many bad pennies. Finally, the fourth or fifth time I deleted the
story about the farmer with the donkey down the well - which seemed so
inspirational on first reading - I realized that I no longer was
receiving actual information from many of my correspondents. Nor was I
sending them anything informative. Once-important relationships had
degraded to exchanges of doggerel. (When I say I am a Christian/I don't
speak of this with pride/I'm confessing that I stumble/and need someone
to be my guide.) I realized that the warm fuzzy feeling was an
illusion, created by the receipt of something, anything, from my
distant cousins and friends. Journalist Kia Penso calls glurg "just a
pure gob of goopy feeling like a big wet slobbery kiss from a dog with
bad breath."

In the wake of Sept. 11, a flood of glurg inundated many of us. Bogus
"Nostradamus predictions" of the attacks. Bad poetry. Even a cross-
stich pattern for a memorial sampler. And endless copies of Gordon
Sinclair's 1973 radio, editorial "The Americans," often "edited" to
imply that it had been written in response to the attack - and never
mentioning that Sinclair died in 1984.

But even before Sept. 11, many people were glurging their unwitting
friends and associates relentlessly. Prayers, "virtual hugs" and a 67-
item questionnaire (No. 33 - Your favorite quote from a movie: "What do
you think this is, 'Dances with Salmon?'" - Smoke Signals). Many glurgs
contain requests to "send this to everyone you care about, including
the person who sent it to you," with a dire warning that if you don't
get it back, then you're even less popular than you were in junior
high. Last week, I received an e-mail promising if I forwarded it to
five people, I would get anything I wished for. What if my wish is to
not receive any more glurg? Guess I won't find out - since I didn't
forward it to anybody, I "will have bad luck for years!!"

I, for one, have given up glurg. I thought about making my computer a
glurg-free zone by creating a filter to delete all messages that start
with "Fw: Fw:" but it occurred to me that I might miss out on some
funny jokes that way, so I didn't. Nevertheless, I have learned to
resist the urge to comply to e-mail requests saying "forward this to
everyone you care about." I'm trying to eliminate glurg - one e-mail at
at a time.

The Usenet Improvement Project:
http://improve-usenet.org

Caulfield Man

*Less* wrote:
> This is great everyone,hugs and enjoy. Have a great day!
>

> Turn on your speakers and enjoy this one!
> http://www.lshs64.com/enjoytheride.html
> *Less*

Thank you.

Thank you.

*Less*

"Caulfield Man" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message

> *Less* wrote:
>> This is great everyone,hugs and enjoy. Have a great day!
>>

>> Turn on your speakers and enjoy this one!
>> http://www.lshs64.com/enjoytheride.html
>> *Less*
>>

> Thank you.
>
> Thank you.

You are Welcome!

*Less*

*Less*

"XS11E" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message ...
> "*Less*" <*(E-Mail Removed)*> wrote:
>
>> This is great everyone,hugs and enjoy. Have a great day!

> You misspelled, it's not "great", it's "glurg*."
>
> Please don't post glurg, it's nauseating.
>
> Thank you.

That line came with Link, it not my addition.
I think my Post is more enjoyable than all the Spam you got now
on this Group.

Sorry if I caused you any inconvenience,

*Less*

Centre Parting

*Less* wrote:
> "Centre Parting" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message ..
>> Fred wrote:
>>> "*Less*" <*(E-Mail Removed)*> wrote in message
>>> news:7PLQl.76791$(E-Mail Removed)...
>>>

>>> Great? It's boring nonsense.

>> Wooh - you must be really cool, being so world-weary !
>> FFS!
>>
>> It may be mildly platitudinous - but it's pleasant and uplifting ...
>> which is more than you can say for half the shite spouted by certain
>> posters here.
>>
>> I liked it.
>> Deal with it.

> Thanks Centre,
> *Less*

YW
CP

fastmoggys mother

test
"*Less*" <*(E-Mail Removed)*> wrote in message
news:aioRl.75945$(E-Mail Removed)...

> "Fred" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>
>> "*Less*" <*(E-Mail Removed)*> wrote in message
>> news:7PLQl.76791$(E-Mail Removed)...
>>> This is great everyone,hugs and enjoy. Have a great day!

>> Great? It's boring nonsense.

> Tell me what is not boring, and senses,
> and I will do my best to find something and post it for you.
>
> *Less*

rf

fastmoggys mother wrote:
> test

You have failed.
alt.test is over there -->

Aardvark

On Thu, 21 May 2009 11:56:47 -0500, *Less* wrote:

> I think my Post is more
> enjoyable than all the Spam you got now on this Group.

What spam? I hardly ever see any spam here.