Velocity Reviews - Computer Hardware Reviews

Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > ASP .Net > Required Field Validator

Reply
Thread Tools

Required Field Validator

 
 
Brent Burkart
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      12-09-2003
I have a page with a couple of Required Field Validators. However, I have a
button which displays a popup with some information. I want this button to
be able to work without having the Required Field Validators fire. I can't
figure out how to do that. Is there a better way of validating the info
rather than using field validators?

Any help is appreciated?

Thanks,
Brent


 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Suresh
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      12-09-2003
Set "CausesValidation" property of the button which opens
the window to "False".



>-----Original Message-----
>I have a page with a couple of Required Field

Validators. However, I have a
>button which displays a popup with some information. I

want this button to
>be able to work without having the Required Field

Validators fire. I can't
>figure out how to do that. Is there a better way of

validating the info
>rather than using field validators?
>
>Any help is appreciated?
>
>Thanks,
>Brent
>
>
>.
>

 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Brent Burkart
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      12-09-2003
When I set "CausesValidation" to true, it takes on the action of my form
submit button. I have it wired to open up a popup rather than continueing
to process. But it acts like my other button.

Thanks for your help.
"Suresh" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:00c901c3be80$bfc97c50$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Set "CausesValidation" property of the button which opens
> the window to "False".
>
>
>
> >-----Original Message-----
> >I have a page with a couple of Required Field

> Validators. However, I have a
> >button which displays a popup with some information. I

> want this button to
> >be able to work without having the Required Field

> Validators fire. I can't
> >figure out how to do that. Is there a better way of

> validating the info
> >rather than using field validators?
> >
> >Any help is appreciated?
> >
> >Thanks,
> >Brent
> >
> >
> >.
> >



 
Reply With Quote
 
Brent Burkart
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      12-09-2003
I have found the problem, but I don't know how to fix it. It seems as if
all my buttons are submitting my form rather than performing the events they
are wired up to do. Does anyone know why this might be possible?

Thanks
"Brent Burkart" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> When I set "CausesValidation" to true, it takes on the action of my form
> submit button. I have it wired to open up a popup rather than continueing
> to process. But it acts like my other button.
>
> Thanks for your help.
> "Suresh" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:00c901c3be80$bfc97c50$(E-Mail Removed)...
> > Set "CausesValidation" property of the button which opens
> > the window to "False".
> >
> >
> >
> > >-----Original Message-----
> > >I have a page with a couple of Required Field

> > Validators. However, I have a
> > >button which displays a popup with some information. I

> > want this button to
> > >be able to work without having the Required Field

> > Validators fire. I can't
> > >figure out how to do that. Is there a better way of

> > validating the info
> > >rather than using field validators?
> > >
> > >Any help is appreciated?
> > >
> > >Thanks,
> > >Brent
> > >
> > >
> > >.
> > >

>
>



 
Reply With Quote
 
Scott M.
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      12-10-2003
Are we talking about Web Form buttons? If so, then they must submit the
form to the server and then create a new instance of the page at the server
before they can execute their server-side events.

The page class's lifecycle looks like this:

Non PostBack:

New
Init
Load
SaveViewState
Unload

PostBack:

New
Init
LoadViewState
Load
User's Control Events
SaveViewState
Unload




"Brent Burkart" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:O$(E-Mail Removed)...
> I have found the problem, but I don't know how to fix it. It seems as if
> all my buttons are submitting my form rather than performing the events

they
> are wired up to do. Does anyone know why this might be possible?
>
> Thanks
> "Brent Burkart" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > When I set "CausesValidation" to true, it takes on the action of my form
> > submit button. I have it wired to open up a popup rather than

continueing
> > to process. But it acts like my other button.
> >
> > Thanks for your help.
> > "Suresh" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > news:00c901c3be80$bfc97c50$(E-Mail Removed)...
> > > Set "CausesValidation" property of the button which opens
> > > the window to "False".
> > >
> > >
> > >
> > > >-----Original Message-----
> > > >I have a page with a couple of Required Field
> > > Validators. However, I have a
> > > >button which displays a popup with some information. I
> > > want this button to
> > > >be able to work without having the Required Field
> > > Validators fire. I can't
> > > >figure out how to do that. Is there a better way of
> > > validating the info
> > > >rather than using field validators?
> > > >
> > > >Any help is appreciated?
> > > >
> > > >Thanks,
> > > >Brent
> > > >
> > > >
> > > >.
> > > >

> >
> >

>
>



 
Reply With Quote
 
Suresh
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      12-10-2003
Sorry this message had moved to the 2nd page on the web
message board so the late reply.

But Scott is right. If all you want this button to do is
to open up a popup window then you are better off using a
client side html input type button.


>-----Original Message-----
>Are we talking about Web Form buttons? If so, then they

must submit the
>form to the server and then create a new instance of the

page at the server
>before they can execute their server-side events.
>
>The page class's lifecycle looks like this:
>
>Non PostBack:
>
>New
>Init
>Load
>SaveViewState
>Unload
>
>PostBack:
>
>New
>Init
>LoadViewState
>Load
>User's Control Events
>SaveViewState
>Unload
>
>
>
>
>"Brent Burkart" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>news:O$(E-Mail Removed)...
>> I have found the problem, but I don't know how to fix

it. It seems as if
>> all my buttons are submitting my form rather than

performing the events
>they
>> are wired up to do. Does anyone know why this might be

possible?
>>
>> Thanks
>> "Brent Burkart" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in

message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> > When I set "CausesValidation" to true, it takes on

the action of my form
>> > submit button. I have it wired to open up a popup

rather than
>continueing
>> > to process. But it acts like my other button.
>> >
>> > Thanks for your help.
>> > "Suresh" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote

in message
>> > news:00c901c3be80$bfc97c50$(E-Mail Removed)...
>> > > Set "CausesValidation" property of the button which

opens
>> > > the window to "False".
>> > >
>> > >
>> > >
>> > > >-----Original Message-----
>> > > >I have a page with a couple of Required Field
>> > > Validators. However, I have a
>> > > >button which displays a popup with some

information. I
>> > > want this button to
>> > > >be able to work without having the Required Field
>> > > Validators fire. I can't
>> > > >figure out how to do that. Is there a better way

of
>> > > validating the info
>> > > >rather than using field validators?
>> > > >
>> > > >Any help is appreciated?
>> > > >
>> > > >Thanks,
>> > > >Brent
>> > > >
>> > > >
>> > > >.
>> > > >
>> >
>> >

>>
>>

>
>
>.
>

 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
javascript validation for a not required field, field is onlyrequired if another field has a value jr Javascript 3 07-08-2010 10:33 AM
required field validator - before changing the value. Mr. x ASP .Net 0 11-30-2003 08:32 PM
Required Field Validator Jim Heavey ASP .Net 0 11-14-2003 07:47 PM
Required field validator problem Do ASP .Net 3 10-23-2003 12:38 AM
Required Field Validator Client side popup Jinsong Liu ASP .Net 3 08-14-2003 07:53 PM



Advertisments