Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Can't Install Adobe Flash Player 10.0.22.87

Can't Install Adobe Flash Player 10.0.22.87

Martin

Hello,

My OS is XP Pro SP2, and my browser is IE7.

Up until approximately 2 weeks ago, I used to visit an MSN-style chatroom
which required Flash so that one could see text (chat) being posted in the
room. Further, Flash was required to see the list of visitors in the room.

Up until then, I had Flash Player properly operating on my system, and was
able to partake in the chats in the room.

While in a room, I attempted to install a newer version, namely, Adobe Flash
Player 10.0.22.87 from http://get.adobe.com/flashplayer.

Whether relevant or not, I did not close all other windows while attempting
to install Flash Player 10.

When I clicked "Install", the URL changed to
http://get.adobe.com/flashplayer/trigger/1.

At about the same time, a yellow bar appeared at the top of the page with
the following: This website wants to install the following add-on: "Adobe
Flash Player Installer" from "Adobe Systems Incorporated". If you trust the
website and the add-on and want to install it, click here ....

When I clicked "here", a vertical menu appeared with: Install ActiveX
Control ..., What's the Risk, More Information.

When I clicked "Install ActiveX Control", a box appeared from Adobe,
offering "Install" and "Do Not Install" options.

I chose "Install".

For a couple of minutes nothing appeared to be happening, and then Zone
Alarm indicated that Adobe UltraShim was attempting to access the Internet.

I gave permission to the application to access the Internet.

Shortly thereafter, the following appeared: When you see the installation
completion movie above and text below, your installation was successful. The
installation should only take a minute or two on a 56k modem.

If Adobe Flash Player fails to install, please visit the Adobe Flash Player
Support Center for help troubleshooting the issue.

In light of the fact that I had attempted numerous times to install version
10 with the same non-successful results (no movie, only a stationary Adobe
logo) I even went so far as to completely uninstall Adobe AIR.

The uninstalling made no difference; when I attempted to again install
version 10, something (unknown to me) once again blocked the installation.

As a result of the unsuccessful attempts to install version 10, the
previously installed version of Flash Player no longer works on my unit.

I have SpywareBlaster (version 4.2) whose various protections I completely
disabled.

If it's relevant, I have Norton Anti-Virus 2009 and Ad-Aware 2008 (7.1.0.12)
(not Anniversary Edition).

My Zone Alarm firewall is 7.0.483.000.

I have a Dell 8200 running at 1.99 Ghz (though advertised at 2.0 Ghz) with
512 MB of Rambus Ram.

I recently installed CCleaner 2.0.0.0 in the hope that, if the problem were
registry corruption, that would help, but to no avail.

To say the least, any assistance in helping me to install Flash Player would
be greatly appreciated.

Regards,

Martin

TompangBuddy.Com

Hello,

Try installing the standalone EXE version
http://get.adobe.com/flashplayer/otherversions/

___
http://www.tompangbuddy.com
Share Cab, Carpool and Save Earth in Singapore
Video Conversion Service VHS Video8 Hi8 miniDv Digital8 VHS-C S-VHS tapes to
VCD/DVD
"Martin" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:UAtQl.347061$(E-Mail Removed)1.easynews.com...
> [...]
> version 10, something (unknown to me) once again blocked the installation.
>
> As a result of the unsuccessful attempts to install version 10, the
> previously installed version of Flash Player no longer works on my unit.
>
> I have SpywareBlaster (version 4.2) whose various protections I completely
> disabled.
>
> If it's relevant, I have Norton Anti-Virus 2009 and Ad-Aware 2008
> (7.1.0.12)
> (not Anniversary Edition).
>
> My Zone Alarm firewall is 7.0.483.000.
>
> I have a Dell 8200 running at 1.99 Ghz (though advertised at 2.0 Ghz) with
> 512 MB of Rambus Ram.
>
> I recently installed CCleaner 2.0.0.0 in the hope that, if the problem
> were
> registry corruption, that would help, but to no avail.
>
> To say the least, any assistance in helping me to install Flash Player

chuckcar

> [...]

> The uninstalling made no difference; when I attempted to again install
> version 10, something (unknown to me) once again blocked the
> installation.
>
> As a result of the unsuccessful attempts to install version 10, the
> previously installed version of Flash Player no longer works on my unit.
>
> I have SpywareBlaster (version 4.2) whose various protections I
> completely disabled.
>
> If it's relevant, I have Norton Anti-Virus 2009 and Ad-Aware 2008
> (7.1.0.12) (not Anniversary Edition).
>
> My Zone Alarm firewall is 7.0.483.000.
>
> I have a Dell 8200 running at 1.99 Ghz (though advertised at 2.0 Ghz)
> with 512 MB of Rambus Ram.
>
> I recently installed CCleaner 2.0.0.0 in the hope that, if the problem
> were registry corruption, that would help, but to no avail.
>
> To say the least, any assistance in helping me to install Flash Player

Quite simple really. Two possibilities: 1. It didn't install properly
because you didn't allow it to finish - i.e. show the movie. 2. It's a
version of flash that doesn't work properly (perhaps only on your computer
and one like it). Going back to the earlier version is probably your best
bet. Unistall *all* version on your system, reboot and go to adobe's site
and then reinstall and reboot afterwards.

--
(setq (chuck nil) car(chuck) )

Greg

Go to this directory on your PC:

C:\Windows\System32\Macromed\Flash\

And double click on the Flashutil10b.exe or one similar. You are manually
installing it from there. Adobe puts these files in your system32 directory
for you. I've had issues with Flash not installing properly either and have
had to revert to this way.

Greg

> [...]
> version 10, something (unknown to me) once again blocked the installation.
>
> As a result of the unsuccessful attempts to install version 10, the
> previously installed version of Flash Player no longer works on my unit.
>
> I have SpywareBlaster (version 4.2) whose various protections I completely
> disabled.
>
> If it's relevant, I have Norton Anti-Virus 2009 and Ad-Aware 2008
> (7.1.0.12)
> (not Anniversary Edition).
>
> My Zone Alarm firewall is 7.0.483.000.
>
> I have a Dell 8200 running at 1.99 Ghz (though advertised at 2.0 Ghz) with
> 512 MB of Rambus Ram.
>
> I recently installed CCleaner 2.0.0.0 in the hope that, if the problem
> were
> registry corruption, that would help, but to no avail.
>
> To say the least, any assistance in helping me to install Flash Player

Martin

Hello,

I wish to thank everyone who contributed their time and suggestions
regarding the "Flash" problem.

I removed all Adobe apps via the Control Panel.

I then re-downloaded the below-mentioned version 10, but, once again,
without any *apparent* change.

In keeping with the suggestion that the app may be in my System 32 folder, I
checked and found that it was indeed there.

I double-clicked it and then re-booted.

Problem solved!!

Flash Media is now once again properly operating on my system.

Thank you!

Martin

:
[...]

actsmith actsmith is offline
Junior Member

Greg:

What tremendous advice on getting the FlashPlayer working! I used it and now I'm able to use the FlashPlayer when using Internet Explorer...but the System 32 fix did not take for Google Chrome or Mozilla Firefox.

How do I get the FlashPlayer to work in those browsers?

Andrea