Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Password Prrompt WinXP Startup

Password Prrompt WinXP Startup

Mickie Swall

Recently ran the recovery disks for my PC, which put everthing back that was
on the hard drive at purchase, including the sign-on screen, which I want to
eliminate for password-less booting. I searched this newsgroup for help in
eliminating the password prompt at startup and found this:

A solution (this enables auto-login):
Start -> Run... -> control userpasswords2
Uncheck the "Users must enter a username and password to use this
computer" checkbox. Enter the username and password to be
used for the login, and press OK, OK.

I didn't do the last step though, (logic asks, why do I enter a username and
password when that is exactly what I'm trying to eliminate?) and now I get a
message that I am unable to log on because of an account restriction. So,
now that I can't even get started up, how do I fix this?

Mickie.... thank goodness I also have a laptop......

PeeCee

"Mickie Swall" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:gut6q4$7sh$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Recently ran the recovery disks for my PC, which put everthing back that
> was on the hard drive at purchase, including the sign-on screen, which I
> want to eliminate for password-less booting. I searched this newsgroup for
> help in eliminating the password prompt at startup and found this:
>
> A solution (this enables auto-login):
> Start -> Run... -> control userpasswords2
> Uncheck the "Users must enter a username and password to use this
> computer" checkbox. Enter the username and password to be
> used for the login, and press OK, OK.
>
> I didn't do the last step though, (logic asks, why do I enter a username
> and password when that is exactly what I'm trying to eliminate?) and now I
> get a message that I am unable to log on because of an account
> restriction. So, now that I can't even get started up, how do I fix this?
>
> Mickie.... thank goodness I also have a laptop......

This may work:

Press F8 at startup and choose Safe Mode from the list (use the arrow keys
to select and enter to start)
Choose the Administrators account and run the instructions again.

(note do not use the Administrator account, use the other one Owner or User
what ever the recovery disks created)

If that doesn't work, run the recovery disks again.

Paul.

chuckcar

"Mickie Swall" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:gut6q4$7sh$(E-Mail Removed):

> Recently ran the recovery disks for my PC, which put everthing back that
> was on the hard drive at purchase, including the sign-on screen, which I
> want to eliminate for password-less booting. I searched this newsgroup
> for help in eliminating the password prompt at startup and found this:
>
> A solution (this enables auto-login):
> Start -> Run... -> control userpasswords2
> Uncheck the "Users must enter a username and password to use
> this
> computer" checkbox. Enter the username and password to
> be used for the login, and press OK, OK.
>
> I didn't do the last step though, (logic asks, why do I enter a username
> and password when that is exactly what I'm trying to eliminate?)

No, you're trying to eliminate the *signin*. Eliminating the user account
and running in supervisor is a *very* bad idea.

> and now
> I get a message that I am unable to log on because of an account
> restriction. So, now that I can't even get started up, how do I fix
> this?

Do it like it says. The reason is so that you don't comprimise your
security when using the computer. MS consumer OS's are the last to
implement user accounts for no good reason other than convienence.

--
(setq (chuck nil) car(chuck) )

Pennywise@DerryMaine.Gov

chuckcar <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>> A solution (this enables auto-login):
>> Start -> Run... -> control userpasswords2
>> Uncheck the "Users must enter a username and password to use
>> this
>> computer" checkbox. Enter the username and password to
>> be used for the login, and press OK, OK.
>>
>> I didn't do the last step though, (logic asks, why do I enter a username
>> and password when that is exactly what I'm trying to eliminate?)

>No, you're trying to eliminate the *signin*. Eliminating the user account
>and running in supervisor is a *very* bad idea.

Wrong again, what a suprise; "control userpasswords2" is a proper way
to bypass the login prompt on any account. He just bypassed a step.

How you assume he's eliminating the user account is..... have you
ever seen an NT OS?

--
Sometimes you get lucky
http://imgur.com/cydri.gif

John Holmes

"contributed" in 24hoursupport.helpdesk:

> chuckcar <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>>> A solution (this enables auto-login):
>>> Start -> Run... -> control userpasswords2
>>> Uncheck the "Users must enter a username and password to use
>>> this
>>> computer" checkbox. Enter the username and password
>>> to be used for the login, and press OK, OK.
>>>
>>> I didn't do the last step though, (logic asks, why do I enter a
>>> username and password when that is exactly what I'm trying to
>>> eliminate?)

>>No, you're trying to eliminate the *signin*. Eliminating the user
>>account and running in supervisor is a *very* bad idea.

> Wrong again, what a suprise; "control userpasswords2" is a proper way
> to bypass the login prompt on any account. He just bypassed a step.
>
> How you assume he's eliminating the user account is..... have you
> ever seen an NT OS?

LOL, obviously, he never did.

--
<snip>

Mickie Swall

Thanks very much, Paul, et.al
I had the resident geek (son) do these honors, and we're up and running and
booting without the password at startup.
Mickie