Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > XP won't remember monitor settings

XP won't remember monitor settings

alice

I have two XP PC sharing a new Dell monitor through a KVM switch, and
everytime a restart either computer, the resolution setting is low and
looks horrible. I can change it and it looks fine agian, but then
after reboot it goes back to the previous setting again.
Is there a way to either force windows to keep the settings, or is
there a program or even a script that could be written that could run
at every startup that would automatically change the settings, just so
I don't have to do it manually each time?

Maxje

"alice" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>I have two XP PC sharing a new Dell monitor through a KVM switch, and
> everytime a restart either computer, the resolution setting is low and
> looks horrible. I can change it and it looks fine agian, but then
> after reboot it goes back to the previous setting again.
> Is there a way to either force windows to keep the settings, or is
> there a program or even a script that could be written that could run
> at every startup that would automatically change the settings, just so
> I don't have to do it manually each time?

I have a 22 inch monitor and resolution is quite an issue going from
applications to web.

I use firefox and it remembers my resolution settings automatically

PeeCee

"alice" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>I have two XP PC sharing a new Dell monitor through a KVM switch, and
> everytime a restart either computer, the resolution setting is low and
> looks horrible. I can change it and it looks fine agian, but then
> after reboot it goes back to the previous setting again.
> Is there a way to either force windows to keep the settings, or is
> there a program or even a script that could be written that could run
> at every startup that would automatically change the settings, just so
> I don't have to do it manually each time?

Alice
The problem is the KVM switch is not passing the monitor resolution through
to the non displayed PC.
(a hardware problem AFAIK)
I have the same problem and have tried using the driver control panel to
force the proprer resolution but Windows sees the KVM resolution and
automatically adjusts the booting PC's resolution to suit.

The only way round the problem I've found is to ensure the KVM is switched
to the booting PC as it goes through the Monitor resolution testing phase.
(roughly till the desktop appears)

A script may well work but that's not one of my skills, so if any one has
one I'm interested too.

best
Paul.

Pennywise@DerryMaine.Gov

alice <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>is
>there a program or even a script that could be written that could run
>at every startup that would automatically change the settings, just so
>I don't have to do it manually each time?

If your video driver(s) won't save the setting you could use a macro.

Google: Macro Key

Some will even record your mouse movements.

The command to get to the display properties is "DESK.CPL"

Play with the TAB key, notice when Themes is highlighted you can then
use your arrows to move to the other tabs.

Some commands have a letter underlined, if you press the ALT key+ the
underlined letter - it will perform that function.

Those are the basics.

I use PowerPro http://powerpro.webeddie.com/ for my Macro needs,
Others like AutoIt http://www.autoitscript.com/autoit3/ - either one
will do anything you need done, both top of the line in their field,
and free.

--
Sometimes you get lucky
http://imgur.com/cydri.gif

alice

On May 19, 3:52*am, philo <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> PeeCee wrote:
> > "alice" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> >news:(E-Mail Removed)....
> >> I have two XP PC sharing a new Dell monitor through a KVM switch, and
> >> everytime a restart either computer, the resolution setting is low and
> >> looks horrible. I can change it and it looks fine agian, but then
> >> after reboot it goes back to the previous setting again.
> >> Is there a way to either force windows to keep the settings, or is
> >> there a program or even a script that could be written that could run
> >> at every startup that would automatically change the settings, just so
> >> I don't have to do it manually each time?

> > Alice
> > The problem is the KVM switch is not passing the monitor resolution
> > through to the non displayed PC.
> > (a hardware problem AFAIK)
> > I have the same problem and have tried using the driver control panel to
> > force the proprer resolution but Windows sees the KVM resolution and
> > automatically adjusts the booting PC's resolution to suit.

> > The only way round the problem I've found is to ensure the KVM is
> > switched to the booting PC *as it goes through the Monitor resolution
> > testing phase.
> > (roughly till the desktop appears)

> > A script may well work but that's not one of my skills, so if any one
> > has one I'm interested too.

> > best
> > Paul.

> Yep..
> that's it exactly
>
> just as simple as making sure the machine boots with KVM switched to the
> machine
>
> Once both machines have booted in the display mode...all is fine- Hide quoted text -

Wow. That really was it. Thanks. I had no idea the KVM could really be
the problem, I thought it just acted like an extension cable.

PeeCee

"alice" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
On May 19, 3:52 am, philo <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> PeeCee wrote:
> > "alice" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> >news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> >> I have two XP PC sharing a new Dell monitor through a KVM switch, and
> >> everytime a restart either computer, the resolution setting is low and
> >> looks horrible. I can change it and it looks fine agian, but then
> >> after reboot it goes back to the previous setting again.
> >> Is there a way to either force windows to keep the settings, or is
> >> there a program or even a script that could be written that could run
> >> at every startup that would automatically change the settings, just so
> >> I don't have to do it manually each time?

> > Alice
> > The problem is the KVM switch is not passing the monitor resolution
> > through to the non displayed PC.
> > (a hardware problem AFAIK)
> > I have the same problem and have tried using the driver control panel to
> > force the proprer resolution but Windows sees the KVM resolution and
> > automatically adjusts the booting PC's resolution to suit.

> > The only way round the problem I've found is to ensure the KVM is
> > switched to the booting PC as it goes through the Monitor resolution
> > testing phase.
> > (roughly till the desktop appears)

> > A script may well work but that's not one of my skills, so if any one
> > has one I'm interested too.

> > best
> > Paul.

> Yep..
> that's it exactly
>
> just as simple as making sure the machine boots with KVM switched to the
> machine
>
> Once both machines have booted in the display mode...all is fine- Hide
> quoted text -

Wow. That really was it. Thanks. I had no idea the KVM could really be
the problem, I thought it just acted like an extension cable.

No there is some electronics inside them to fool the connected PC into
thinking the real Keyboard Video and Mouse are connected.
Unfortunately the stocks of KVM's on the shelves today haven't got the nouse
to handle the high res displays that people are now buying.
Up to 1280 x 1024 most of them are ok, but beyond that eg 1680 x 1050 22"ers
the KVM's aren't up to it.

There are better ones available eg
http://www.i4u.com/article14041.html
at 3840 x 2400 but boy do you pay for it.

Give it a couple of years for the old stocks to be sold and you should be
good to go.

Best
Paul.