Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Re: Market Research GPS GSM IPIRB/low Jack

Re: Market Research GPS GSM IPIRB/low Jack

Woger

On Mon, 18 May 2009 18:56:44 +1200, Collector€NZ <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>Yeah bit of a different heading
>
>I have a sample order of some GPS gadgets coming in to NZ this week.
>
>They could be described as a Poor mans Lo Jack or EPIRB
>
>They are a unit with GPS built in and SMS and GPRS capability.
>
>Basically the unit will respond to a text message or a Call and send
>Latitude and Longtitude to the calling/texting number.
>
>It also has three buttons on it allowing predefined messages (including
>lat long info) to be sent by the device.
>
>But wait there is more and it's not Ginsu Steak knives.
>
>The unit can be configured to send lat/long data on a regular defined
>period.
>
>With the GPRS capability (which I havnt quite got my head around yet)
>real time on line tracking is a possibility.
>
>Currently only usable on Vodaphone, but I hope also going to be
>available on Telescum's XT network.

I don't think so Telescum is using some Stupid USA Standard based on CDMA..

>So what do you reckon is the market for these, what do you reckon they
>are worth?
>
>As an aside, I fitted an earlier model to a genset trailer unit that was
>being used in fairly sparsely populated units, it was worth about $50k,
>it walked as we were afraid it might. I texted the unit got the lat
>long, we plugged it into google earth got the location and sent the
>police to collect it.

Richard

Woger wrote:

> I don't think so Telescum is using some Stupid USA Standard based on CDMA..

hardly, they are using UMTS on 850MHz - the cdma network is as good as
dead to most people with no new handsets worth having coming.

Woger

On Tue, 19 May 2009 08:03:38 +1200, Collector€NZ <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>Woger wrote:
>> On Mon, 18 May 2009 18:56:44 +1200, Collector€NZ <(E-Mail Removed)>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> Yeah bit of a different heading
>>>
>>> I have a sample order of some GPS gadgets coming in to NZ this week.
>>>
>>> They could be described as a Poor mans Lo Jack or EPIRB
>>>
>>> They are a unit with GPS built in and SMS and GPRS capability.
>>>
>>> Basically the unit will respond to a text message or a Call and send
>>> Latitude and Longtitude to the calling/texting number.
>>>
>>> It also has three buttons on it allowing predefined messages (including
>>> lat long info) to be sent by the device.
>>>
>>> But wait there is more and it's not Ginsu Steak knives.
>>>
>>> The unit can be configured to send lat/long data on a regular defined
>>> period.
>>>
>>> With the GPRS capability (which I havnt quite got my head around yet)
>>> real time on line tracking is a possibility.
>>>
>>> Currently only usable on Vodaphone, but I hope also going to be
>>> available on Telescum's XT network.

>> I don't think so Telescum is using some Stupid USA Standard based on CDMA..

>Duh, *wrong* read again I am refering to the new soon to go live XT
>network, catch up with the world old boy

That is also what I was on about..

>>> So what do you reckon is the market for these, what do you reckon they
>>> are worth?
>>>
>>> As an aside, I fitted an earlier model to a genset trailer unit that was
>>> being used in fairly sparsely populated units, it was worth about $50k,
>>> it walked as we were afraid it might. I texted the unit got the lat
>>> long, we plugged it into google earth got the location and sent the
>>> police to collect it.

Party Animal

Woger wrote:
> On Tue, 19 May 2009 08:03:38 +1200, Collector€NZ <(E-Mail Removed)>
> wrote:
>
>> Woger wrote:

>>> I don't think so Telescum is using some Stupid USA Standard based on CDMA..

>> Duh, *wrong* read again I am refering to the new soon to go live XT
>> network, catch up with the world old boy

> That is also what I was on about..

It depends on the embedded modem module. If it is only gprs it will only
do the old vodafone 2g data connection
But they are usually quad band because the US is a major market for
tracking systems.
AFAIK and perhaps some telco savvy person can confirm both Vodafone 3g
and Telecom xt are wcdma umts services but on different bands.
Vodafone 3g are dual system gsm/gprs/umts and I guess Telecom will have
just umts.