Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Has anybody tried pop riveting 2 cheap cases together?

Has anybody tried pop riveting 2 cheap cases together?

news2.thing@gmail.com

I am looking for a case thats cheap but can hold a lot of
disk.........the server cases are just silly money....

So I can see a case for instance $70 ~ $120 each say with 6~8 x 3.5
bays....if I pop rivet/screw/weld two together I can run 12~16
disks....for $140~$240......still leaving 6~7 x 5.25inch bays free....

http://www.ascent.co.nz/productspeci...?ItemID=377706

http://www.task.com.tw/tk6110.htm

Biggest worry is cable length.........depending on the case and how
the bay is laid out in respect to the motherboard and its back plane,
it could be hard or easy....

So I could either have the motherbaord in the middle between the two
caes and feed disk cables behind, or a case that has a removable
motherboard backplane so I just have a very deep case....

ideas? thoughts?

regards

Thing

Richard

> I am looking for a case thats cheap but can hold a lot of
> disk.........the server cases are just silly money....
>
> So I can see a case for instance $70 ~ $120 each say with 6~8 x 3.5
> bays....if I pop rivet/screw/weld two together I can run 12~16
> disks....for $140~$240......still leaving 6~7 x 5.25inch bays free....
>
> http://www.ascent.co.nz/productspeci...?ItemID=377706
>
> http://www.task.com.tw/tk6110.htm
>
> Biggest worry is cable length.........depending on the case and how
> the bay is laid out in respect to the motherboard and its back plane,
> it could be hard or easy....
>
> So I could either have the motherbaord in the middle between the two
> caes and feed disk cables behind, or a case that has a removable
> motherboard backplane so I just have a very deep case....
>
> ideas? thoughts?

Sounds similar to the yeong yang cube case which has the mobo in the
center of it.

I have a couple. Cable length is only an issue on the stupidly short
free sata cables that are going from PCI cards - the ones from the mobo
are fine with 50cm, and 90cm are not that expensive.

When I had pata drives in it, there was a bit of a challange to get the
cables to reach but now its sata only no worries.

The cube case has the drives attach from the front using rails for the
5" and the 3" attach into brackets that screw into the back. You are not
going to be able to get to the middle screws if you permanantly join the
cases together, unless the drive cages remove, which they dont look like
they will.

Also, what to do with the big second power supply hole on the case?

news2.thing@gmail.com

On May 18, 2:04*pm, Richard <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> (E-Mail Removed) wrote:
> > I am looking for a case thats cheap but can hold a lot of
> > disk.........the server cases are just silly money....

> > So I can see a case for instance $70 ~ $120 each say with 6~8 x 3.5
> > bays....if I pop rivet/screw/weld two together I can run 12~16
> > disks....for $140~$240......still leaving 6~7 x 5.25inch bays free....

> >http://www.ascent.co.nz/productspeci...?ItemID=377706

> >http://www.task.com.tw/tk6110.htm

> > Biggest worry is cable length.........depending on the case and how
> > the bay is laid out in respect to the motherboard and its back plane,
> > it could be hard or easy....

> > So I could either have the motherbaord in the middle between the two
> > caes and feed disk cables behind, or a case that has a removable
> > motherboard backplane so I just have a very deep case....

> > ideas? thoughts?

> Sounds similar to the yeong yang cube case which has the mobo in the
> center of it.
>
> I have a couple. Cable length is only an issue on the stupidly short
> free sata cables that are going from PCI cards - the ones from the mobo
> are fine with 50cm, and 90cm are not that expensive.

90cm sounds like a plan.

> When I had pata drives in it, there was a bit of a challange to get the
> cables to reach but now its sata only no worries.
>
> The cube case has the drives attach from the front using rails for the
> 5" and the 3" attach into brackets that screw into the back. You are not
> going to be able to get to the middle screws if you permanantly join the
> cases together, unless the drive cages remove, which they dont look like
> they will.

I have a shed load of PATAs...might be tricky...some I can convert to
sata's though...

Ah yes the cage screws....

:/

Knew it was no quite that easy, thought I'd missed
something....hmmm.....I might have to make little sliders for one side
and just screw from the other....fiddly though....but my time is
cheap.

> Also, what to do with the big second power supply hole on the case?

That's easy, for now, blank it, I have some alloy sheet...

The initial idea is to have an iSCSI & CIFS Freenas box then later
when I have some $ use the second backplane as a ESXi unit...multi Gb
them together...

Ive found a Gigabyte one that has quick release
brackets..........might get two of those.

http://www.ascent.co.nz/productspeci...?ItemID=369867

http://europe.giga-byte.com/FileList...al_gz-x1_e.pdf

regards

Thing