Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Wireless Networking > Got a problem here

Got a problem here

Bob H

Hi, a freind of mine has bought himself a Belkin 4 port wireless router
and modem and he can't get it going, and to be honest neither can I yet.
The routers leds are all lit, and everything is connetced where it
should be, but its a no go. The installation CD which came with the
router does not have any setup or driver files on it, only an Acrobat
instruction file.
Also in the WinXP networking box, there 2 adapters, one is an onboard
Realtek NIC, and the other is a 1394 adapter which I found out is a
firewire adapter. The Realtek nic is shown as unplugged, but it is not,
except it maybe in the wrong socket for the 1395 adapter, but as I could
only see one I am sure it is in the right one.

Any ideas please?

Thanks
--

Bob H
Leeds UK

Malke

Bob H wrote:

> Hi, a freind of mine has bought himself a Belkin 4 port wireless
> router and modem and he can't get it going, and to be honest neither
> can I yet. The routers leds are all lit, and everything is connetced
> where it should be, but its a no go. The installation CD which came
> with the router does not have any setup or driver files on it, only an
> Acrobat instruction file.
> Also in the WinXP networking box, there 2 adapters, one is an onboard
> Realtek NIC, and the other is a 1394 adapter which I found out is a
> firewire adapter. The Realtek nic is shown as unplugged, but it is
> not, except it maybe in the wrong socket for the 1395 adapter, but as
> I could only see one I am sure it is in the right one.

Let's try and take this slowly and methodically. Your post is all over
the place.

1. All recent retail Belkin 4-port wireless routers (and I have
installed many of them for clients) have an installation cd and several
instruction manuals. There is a many-paged manual and a Quick Start
manual. All you need to do is carefully follow the Quick Start manual
and the cd installation program. If your friend did not buy a Belkin
retail or the box was open or something so that the necessary items are
missing, he should return it.

2. By "WinXP networking box" I am guessing that you mean the Network
properties. The Realtek nic is the ethernet adapter. If it is showing
as unplugged, then it is not connected properly to anything. An
ethernet cable cannot possibly fit into a fireware connection. You
should just forget the firewire connection for now - it has nothing to
do with what you are trying to do.

3. If you did not follow the Belkin Quick Start installation
instructions and just sort of plugged stuff in, unplug everything and
start over. This time follow the directions. Installing a Belkin
wireless router takes only a few minutes if done per their installation
routine.

Post back with clear details about the router if you need more help. You
also left out the information about your friend's Internet connection,
which we will need; e.g., whether he has cable or dsl, who the ISP is,
and what the make/model of the cable/dsl modem is.

Malke
--
Elephant Boy Computers
www.elephantboycomputers.com

Trev

On Wed, 29 Jun 2005 15:50:18 -0700, Malke <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>Let's try and take this slowly and methodically. Your post is all over
>the place.
>
>1. All recent retail Belkin 4-port wireless routers (and I have
>installed many of them for clients) have an installation cd and several
>instruction manuals. There is a many-paged manual and a Quick Start
>manual. All you need to do is carefully follow the Quick Start manual
>and the cd installation program. If your friend did not buy a Belkin
>retail or the box was open or something so that the necessary items are
>missing, he should return it.

I bought two of these last week and there was no installation CD. Just
the pdf manual as the op says.
--

Trev (Milnrow, UK)

Malke

Trev wrote:

> On Wed, 29 Jun 2005 15:50:18 -0700, Malke <(E-Mail Removed)>
> wrote:
>
>>Let's try and take this slowly and methodically. Your post is all over
>>the place.
>>
>>1. All recent retail Belkin 4-port wireless routers (and I have
>>installed many of them for clients) have an installation cd and
>>several instruction manuals. There is a many-paged manual and a Quick
>>Start manual. All you need to do is carefully follow the Quick Start
>>manual and the cd installation program. If your friend did not buy a
>>Belkin retail or the box was open or something so that the necessary
>>items are missing, he should return it.

> I bought two of these last week and there was no installation CD. Just
> the pdf manual as the op says.

Then he (and you is necessary) should contact Belkin or go to their
website and see if the software is available for download.

Malke