Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Tracking Cookies ?

Tracking Cookies ?

Robert11

Hello, Running XP, and using Firefox.

Also use AVG for my virus protection software.
Ran a big scan with AVG, and it pulled up that I have zillions of "Tracking
Cookies".

What are tracking cookies, please ?

Do they slow up my system, probably, meaningfully, as I guess they
continuously send tracking data back ?

How are they different from "regular" cookies ?

What do I do (in Firefox, perhaps ?) to prohibit them ?

Thanks,
Bob

VanguardLH

Robert11 wrote:

> Hello, Running XP, and using Firefox.
>
> Also use AVG for my virus protection software.
> Ran a big scan with AVG, and it pulled up that I have zillions of "Tracking
> Cookies".
>
> What are tracking cookies, please ?
>
> Do they slow up my system, probably, meaningfully, as I guess they
> continuously send tracking data back ?
>
> How are they different from "regular" cookies ?
>
> What do I do (in Firefox, perhaps ?) to prohibit them ?
>
> Thanks,
> Bob

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Http_cookie

Beauregard T. Shagnasty

Robert11 wrote:

> ... that I have zillions of "Tracking Cookies".
>
> What are tracking cookies, please ?

Same as regular cookies, except they are read by - usually - advertising
companies to watch what you do on the World Wide Web. They can then
serve up ads specifically tailored to your browsing habits.

> Do they slow up my system, probably, meaningfully, as I guess they
> continuously send tracking data back ?

If you have "zillions" that alone will slow down your browser to a
degree. It depends on what browser you use, too. Since, in Internet
Explorer, they are all small, separate individual files, yes it will.

Do they continuously send tracking data? No, only when you visit a site
where each cookie's server is used. The server will look for existing
cookies and see what you are doing.

They are not malicious - in the sense of a virus - but they are annoying
for sure. Learn how to use a HOSTS file, and a good cookie strategy.

--
-bts

Jm

"Robert11" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:gun3o0$al7$(E-Mail Removed)-september.org...
> Hello, Running XP, and using Firefox.
>
> Also use AVG for my virus protection software.
> Ran a big scan with AVG, and it pulled up that I have zillions of "Tracking
> Cookies".
>
> What are tracking cookies, please ?
>
> Do they slow up my system, probably, meaningfully, as I guess they
> continuously send tracking data back ?
>
> How are they different from "regular" cookies ?
>
> What do I do (in Firefox, perhaps ?) to prohibit them ?
>
> Thanks,
> Bob

In your Firefox preferences set it to disallow "third party cookies". These are cookies that are seved up by a domain OTHER than the site you are visiting. So for instance if you visit www.cnn.com and the page wants to load a cookie from www.advertiser.com/tracking.html it will be disallowed.

No Alternative

On Sat, 16 May 2009 15:21:35 -0400, Robert11 wrote:

Tracking cookies track you activities online so they can market ads to
you.

I set firefox up to only accept session cookies, than I make exceptions
for sites I use frequently like youtube, yahoo, nytimes, and google. Alot
of people set firefox up to not accept third party cookies, but I find
alot of trackers still get in this way.

Tracking cookies don't generally impede performance though. The thing
that does is spyware and most of that gets on your computer if you are
operating in an administrative rather than a user account. Create an
administrative account only for installing things, then use a user account
for everyday Internet use. Create a strong password for your
administrative account with letters and numbers, don't include your name
or anything easy to guess. You can still install without logging into
the administrative by using the runas dialog on your right click. Another
protection against spyware is to use the noscript javascript addon in
firefox.

Also if you use internet explorer for anything set it to only run session
cookies in internet options and to high security, except for sites you use
like internet banking and trusted download sites, which can be run at
medium low in trusted sites, and so forth.

You should also consider a linuxos like u-lite. It is a very safe os. It
is configured to require a strong password for administrative, and to
encourage people to do everyday work in a user account, so it doesn't get
hit with malaware much.

--
http://english-158465906205.spampoison.com
http://u-lite.org

Caulfield_man

rd wrote:
> "Robert11" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:gun3o0$al7$(E-Mail Removed)-september.org...
>> Hello, Running XP, and using Firefox.
>>
>> Also use AVG for my virus protection software.
>> Ran a big scan with AVG, and it pulled up that I have zillions of
>> "Tracking Cookies".
>>
>> What are tracking cookies, please ?
>>
>> Do they slow up my system, probably, meaningfully, as I guess they
>> continuously send tracking data back ?
>>
>> How are they different from "regular" cookies ?
>>
>> What do I do (in Firefox, perhaps ?) to prohibit them ?
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Bob
>>

> AVG 8 Advanced settings / scan whole computer / check everything with
> possible exception of "Scan media files".
> AVG 8 Advanced settings / Virus Vault / default settings here are probably
> best. Limit Virus Vault Size 10%. Could be much smaller if you're low on
> disk space. Automatic file deletion 30 / 1000 seems to be my default. I
> often empty the vault manually just to see what's there.
> You will start a new each day with tracking cookies if you scan every day.
> They can't track much that way.

Google "Crapcleaner" or CCleaner; dowload it and use it frequently. It
will clear all the cookies on your machine, plus much, much more. It's a
great tool along with a good virus scanner which all PCs running
Windows should have.

Caulfield_man

Caulfield_man wrote:
> rd wrote:
>> "Robert11" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:gun3o0$al7$(E-Mail Removed)-september.org...
>>> Hello, Running XP, and using Firefox.
>>>
>>> Also use AVG for my virus protection software.
>>> Ran a big scan with AVG, and it pulled up that I have zillions of
>>> "Tracking Cookies".
>>>
>>> What are tracking cookies, please ?
>>>
>>> Do they slow up my system, probably, meaningfully, as I guess they
>>> continuously send tracking data back ?
>>>
>>> How are they different from "regular" cookies ?
>>>
>>> What do I do (in Firefox, perhaps ?) to prohibit them ?
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>> Bob
>>>

>> AVG 8 Advanced settings / scan whole computer / check everything with
>> possible exception of "Scan media files".
>> AVG 8 Advanced settings / Virus Vault / default settings here are
>> probably best. Limit Virus Vault Size 10%. Could be much smaller if
>> you're low on disk space. Automatic file deletion 30 / 1000 seems to
>> be my default. I often empty the vault manually just to see what's there.
>> You will start a new each day with tracking cookies if you scan every
>> day. They can't track much that way.
>>

> Google "Crapcleaner" or CCleaner; dowload it and use it frequently. It
> will clear all the cookies on your machine, plus much, much more. It's a
> great tool along with a good virus scanner which all PCs running
> Windows should have.

That last message of mine wasn't clear. You need CCleaner PLUS a good
virus checker. I suggest AVG free or AVAST! All available via a Google
search.

Caulfield_man

No Alternative wrote:
Lots snipped

> You should also consider a linuxos like u-lite. It is a very safe os. It
> is configured to require a strong password for administrative, and to
> encourage people to do everyday work in a user account, so it doesn't get
> hit with malaware much.

Bravo!

Running Windows or realistically any OS, as administrator is nuts. Which
is why so many millions of pcs are compromised spambots.

sittingduck

Robert11 wrote:

> Do they slow up my system, probably, meaningfully, as I guess they
> continuously send tracking data back ?
>
> How are they different from "regular" cookies ?
>
> What do I do (in Firefox, perhaps ?) to prohibit them ?

Tools/options/privacy
Change the "Keep until:" value to: I close Firefox

Add sites you want cookies kept for to the exceptions list.

--
http://improve-usenet.org
No passion so effectually robs the mind of all its powers of acting and

Beauregard T. Shagnasty

Lookout wrote:

> Caulfield_man wrote:
>> No Alternative wrote:
>>> You should also consider a linuxos like u-lite.

>> Bravo!

> Stupid suggestion

No, it isn't. Let's at least allow Thinking Man an alternative, eh?

>> Running Windows or realistically any OS, as administrator is nuts.
>> Which is why so many millions of pcs are compromised spambots.

...which is also good advice. <g>

--
-bts