Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Wellington City Net (WCN) is to lose WCC funding next year

Wellington City Net (WCN) is to lose WCC funding next year

Ron McNulty

For several years, the WCC has provided a free web-hosting service for
non-profit groups. It is very popular - 570 organisations have
websites. A wide range of cultural and community groups are
represented - choirs, churches, schools, sports clubs and conservation
groups to name a few.

The Council Draft Long-Term Council Community Plan (which sets funding
for community groups) is dropping funding for this excellent community
initiative. This means that many of the 570 organisations that use the
service will lose their internet presence mid 2010.

If you are a Wellington ratepayer, and have an interest in how the
council spends your rates, please go to http://wcn.net.nz/, and read
the home page. The link to the Wellington Scoop article is especially
informative.

There is an e-petition available at http://www.wellington.govt.nz/haveyo.../ep/details/77

Submissions close at 5pm on Monday, so if you want to be heard, go to
it this weekend.

Regards

Ron

Lindsay.Rollo@paradisedotnetdotnz

On Sat, 16 May 2009 16:57:17 +1200, Brian Dooley
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

I've added mu signature.

I'd rather see the rates go to the Community Network that go to
Councillor's trips overseas or the proposes sports statium.

---
Virus Database (VPS): 090516-0, 16/05/2009
Tested on: 5/17/2009 10:21:01 a.m.

Misanthropic Curmudgeon

On May 16, 3:56 pm, Ron McNulty <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> For several years, the WCC has provided a free web-hosting service for
> non-profit groups. It is very popular - 570 organisations have
> websites. A wide range of cultural and community groups are
> represented - choirs, churches, schools, sports clubs and conservation
> groups to name a few.

Why should the Wellington ratepayer pay to host websites, when free
hosting is readily avlailable?

Rich80105@hotmail.com

On Sun, 17 May 2009 16:49:14 -0700 (PDT), Misanthropic Curmudgeon
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>On May 16, 3:56 pm, Ron McNulty <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> For several years, the WCC has provided a free web-hosting service for
>> non-profit groups. It is very popular - 570 organisations have
>> websites. A wide range of cultural and community groups are
>> represented - choirs, churches, schools, sports clubs and conservation
>> groups to name a few.

>Why should the Wellington ratepayer pay to host websites, when free
>hosting is readily avlailable?

Where else is it available mis-c?

Misanthropic Curmudgeon

On May 18, 2:42 pm, (E-Mail Removed) wrote:
> On Sun, 17 May 2009 16:49:14 -0700 (PDT), Misanthropic Curmudgeon
>
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> >On May 16, 3:56 pm, Ron McNulty <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> >> For several years, the WCC has provided a free web-hosting service for
> >> non-profit groups. It is very popular - 570 organisations have
> >> websites. A wide range of cultural and community groups are
> >> represented - choirs, churches, schools, sports clubs and conservation
> >> groups to name a few.

> >Why should the Wellington ratepayer pay to host websites, when free
> >hosting is readily avlailable?

> Where else is it available mis-c?

You really are retarded, eh?

http://www.google.co.nz/search?hl=en...meta=&aq=f&oq=

Enkidu

Misanthropic Curmudgeon wrote:
> On May 18, 2:42 pm, (E-Mail Removed) wrote:
>> On Sun, 17 May 2009 16:49:14 -0700 (PDT), Misanthropic Curmudgeon
>>
>> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>> Why should the Wellington ratepayer pay to host websites, when free
>>> hosting is readily avlailable?

>> Where else is it available mis-c?

> You really are retarded, eh?
>
> http://www.google.co.nz/search?hl=en...meta=&aq=f&oq=

Those are really crap. They only provide a few templates, only let you
'customize' it with a logo, and require you to use their Domain Name. In
addition the one I randomly selected was free for only one month. Sucker
bait.

Cheers,

Cliff

Richard

> On Sun, 17 May 2009 16:49:14 -0700 (PDT), Misanthropic Curmudgeon
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>> On May 16, 3:56 pm, Ron McNulty <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>> For several years, the WCC has provided a free web-hosting service for
>>> non-profit groups. It is very popular - 570 organisations have
>>> websites. A wide range of cultural and community groups are
>>> represented - choirs, churches, schools, sports clubs and conservation
>>> groups to name a few.

>> Why should the Wellington ratepayer pay to host websites, when free
>> hosting is readily avlailable?

> Where else is it available mis-c?

why is that the councils problem?

Rich80105@hotmail.com

On Tue, 19 May 2009 03:05:45 +1200, Richard <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>(E-Mail Removed) wrote:
>> On Sun, 17 May 2009 16:49:14 -0700 (PDT), Misanthropic Curmudgeon
>> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>>> Why should the Wellington ratepayer pay to host websites, when free
>>> hosting is readily avlailable?

>> Where else is it available mis-c?

>why is that the councils problem?

Many local authorities around the world host local organisation
websites in order to ensure that activities available for residents
and visitors are well known. There is no point in doing that if
equivalent facilities are already available. Mis-c's answer
demonstrates that equivalent facilities are not available.

Party Animal

Richard wrote:
> (E-Mail Removed) wrote:
>> On Sun, 17 May 2009 16:49:14 -0700 (PDT), Misanthropic Curmudgeon
>> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>>> Why should the Wellington ratepayer pay to host websites, when free
>>> hosting is readily avlailable?

>> Where else is it available mis-c?

> why is that the councils problem?

They started a service as a free isp for all these good reasons which
they identified.
http://wellingtonict.org.nz/index.ph...d=51&Itemid=65
So they decided that its their job and the people that are petitioning
them to continue are Wellington ratepayers.

Misanthropic Curmudgeon

On May 18, 10:59 pm, Enkidu <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Misanthropic Curmudgeon wrote:
> > On May 18, 2:42 pm, (E-Mail Removed) wrote:

> >> Where else is it available mis-c?

> > You really are retarded, eh?

> >http://www.google.co.nz/search?hl=en...ing%22&btnG=Go...

> Those are really crap. They only provide a few templates, only let you
> 'customize' it with a logo, and require you to use their Domain Name. In
> addition the one I randomly selected was free for only one month.

Look closer: I've been using some of them for years.