Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Security > Question about "hidden" pop-up window opened by Google search pages

Question about "hidden" pop-up window opened by Google search pages

S Claus

Hi all

firstly apologies if this is not exactly the topic of the posted
discussion group. The group "comp.lang.java.javascript" is an archived
group so I could not post there.

I have been using the Opera web browser to access Google with the
error console enabled, and typically get an error message that says
something like this:

Event thread: blur
Error: name: TypeError
message: Statement on line 25: Cannot convert undefined or null to
Object
Backtrace:
Line 25 of linked script
http://www.google.com.sg/extern_js/f...naknA3X_Ck.js:
In function R
function R(){if(G){window.clearTimeout(G);G=e}
y.visibility="hidden";}
--------------------------

Since it seems that Google could be attempting open an invisible pop-
up window, there are two questions I wanted to ask about this:

A. is there any software that can be used to force hidden windows to
be visible?
B. how can user know if a hidden window has actually been closed after
the user has left the site?

Question B is because pop-up windows can be used to track user
behavior (as long as the pop-up is open) and I am interested of seeing
what users can do to limit their usage.

Thanks in advance,

Gerard Bok

On Fri, 15 May 2009 19:33:33 -0700 (PDT), S Claus
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Since it seems that Google could be attempting open an invisible pop-
>up window, there are two questions I wanted to ask about this:

>B. how can user know if a hidden window has actually been closed after
>the user has left the site?

TCPView will tell you that.

Kind regards,
Gerard Bok

Thor Kottelin

"Gerard Bok" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Fri, 15 May 2009 19:33:33 -0700 (PDT), S Claus
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>>B. how can user know if a hidden window has actually been closed after
>>the user has left the site?

> TCPView will tell you that.
>
> http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/s.../bb897437.aspx

In the same sense as "netstat -abn"?

--
Thor Kottelin
http://www.anta.net/

Thor Kottelin

"Thor Kottelin" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:IajQl.1980$(E-Mail Removed)...
> "Gerard Bok" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> On Fri, 15 May 2009 19:33:33 -0700 (PDT), S Claus
>> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>>>B. how can user know if a hidden window has actually been closed after
>>>the user has left the site?

>> TCPView will tell you that.

> In the same sense as "netstat -abn"?

Oops. s/-abn/-abv/

Thor

Gerard Bok

On Mon, 18 May 2009 23:20:41 +0300, "Thor Kottelin"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>"Thor Kottelin" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>news:IajQl.1980$(E-Mail Removed)...
>> "Gerard Bok" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...

>>> TCPView will tell you that.

>> In the same sense as "netstat -abn"?

>Oops. s/-abn/-abv/