Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > IE 8

Steve Freides

What's the word on IE 8? I use Google Chrome for my browser and have
kept IE 7 installed for two reasons - mostly to run Windows Update, and
once in a while for a site that Chrome doesn't handle properly; the
latter is extremely rare now for me.

I assume that I must install IE 8 at some point for Windows Update to
continue to work - is that right? (Does IE 6 still work for Windows
Update?)

Should I install IE 8 now or wait?

Thanks in advance.

-S-

olfart

"Steve Freides" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> What's the word on IE 8? I use Google Chrome for my browser and have kept
> IE 7 installed for two reasons - mostly to run Windows Update, and once in
> a while for a site that Chrome doesn't handle properly; the latter is
> extremely rare now for me.
>
> I assume that I must install IE 8 at some point for Windows Update to
> continue to work - is that right? (Does IE 6 still work for Windows
> Update?)
>
> Should I install IE 8 now or wait?
>
> Thanks in advance.
>
> -S-

if you don't want IE8 then Google for IE8 Blocker. It won't affect any other
updates

Mike Easter

Steve Freides wrote:
> What's the word on IE 8?

MS thinks it is an improvement over IE7 for those people who are using
IE7. But that wouldn't be you.

> I use Google Chrome for my browser and have
> kept IE 7 installed for two reasons - mostly to run Windows Update, and
> once in a while for a site that Chrome doesn't handle properly; the
> latter is extremely rare now for me.

Since you aren't really using IE7 all the time, you would have almost
nothing to gain by installing IE8. Then, the question is, 'what do you
have to lose?' And the answer is not 'nothing'.

> I assume that I must install IE 8 at some point for Windows Update to
> continue to work - is that right?

That is not correct.

> (Does IE 6 still work for Windows
> Update?)

Old browsers keep working for update.

> Should I install IE 8 now or wait?

The disadvantage to upgrading any version of IE to any other version is
that the browser is integrated in a major way with the OS. On some
occasions a browser upgrade leads to unexpected and unwanted consequences.
Considering how you use your browser Chrome or other and how you don't use
IE7, IMO the disadvantage to upgrading outweighs any small advantage.

A friend upgraded to IE8 and had a lot of unwanted consequences and
regretted doing the upgrade, since he wasn't using IE7 much anyway. That
is exactly your situation.

--
Mike Easter

squirltop@yahoo.com

Steve Freides wrote:
> What's the word on IE 8? I use Google Chrome for my browser and have
> kept IE 7 installed for two reasons - mostly to run Windows Update, and
> once in a while for a site that Chrome doesn't handle properly; the
> latter is extremely rare now for me.
>
> I assume that I must install IE 8 at some point for Windows Update to
> continue to work - is that right? (Does IE 6 still work for Windows
> Update?)
>
> Should I install IE 8 now or wait?
>
> Thanks in advance.
>
> -S-

I had downloaded it and installed it before and found it to be faster
and responsive.
I use IE6 instead instead though.

Go for it. It's pretty cool if you ask me. Something new.

Steve Freides

"HEMI-Powered" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:Xns9C0CA2D4934AFReplyScoreID@216.196.97.131.. .
> olfart added these comments in the current discussion du jour ...
>
>>> Should I install IE 8 now or wait?
>>>
>>> Thanks in advance.

>> if you don't want IE8 then Google for IE8 Blocker. It won't
>> affect any other updates
>>

> Not to worry, assuming the OP has their update scheme set to
> "notify but do not download", then it is always possible to just
> uncheck the IE8 or SP3 or any other update that is offered and tell

Thank you to everyone for their response. All PC's in our house are set
to _not_ do any automatic anything w/ Microsoft. I just go around to
each about once a week manually run Windows Update. I do the same for
Spyware Blaster and Spybot Search and Destroy. AVG 8 or 8.5
auto-updates on all computers here.

I will continue to skip IE 8 for now, thanks again to everyone.

-S-

> Windows not to bother you again. But, Bill the Gates is quite
> persistent and he will bug you again. Of course, if one has auto
> updates turned on, then this is an academic discussion as it has
> already installed both SP3 and IE8, or whatever updates Vista has
> available.
>
> --
> Jerry, aka HP
>
> "Drill Here, Drill Now, Pay Less: A Handbook for Slashing Gas
> Prices and Solving Our Energy Crisis" - Newt Gingrich

VanguardLH

Steve Freides wrote:

> What's the word on IE 8? I use Google Chrome for my browser and have
> kept IE 7 installed for two reasons - mostly to run Windows Update, and
> once in a while for a site that Chrome doesn't handle properly; the
> latter is extremely rare now for me.
>
> I assume that I must install IE 8 at some point for Windows Update to
> continue to work - is that right? (Does IE 6 still work for Windows
> Update?)
>
> Should I install IE 8 now or wait?
>
> Thanks in advance.
>
> -S-

Go lurk in the microsoft.public.internetexplorer[.beta] newsgroups to
make your own decision.