Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Wireless Networking > Limiting Access To My Router

Limiting Access To My Router

Lanwench [MVP - Exchange]

Tony <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> On May 18, 3:59 pm, "Pavel A." <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> Tony wrote:
>>> I have two teenage children that think its ok to connect to other
>>> routers in the community once I turn ours off.. Meaning they are
>>> staying up late surfing Myspace and FaceBook and chatting when they
>>> are supposed to be in bed!.. lol I am wondering if there is a way I
>>> can limit their access to just my router so when it shuts down they
>>> can not longer connect to others.

>> Well perhaps this is another selling point to wired network,
>> such as power line (a.k.a. HomePNA).
>> Then you are in full control. Turn the switch off, done.
>> But smart kids can get USB wi-fi dongles ...
>>
>> -- pa

> thanks to all for your suggestions,, and yes I agree they should be
> responsible enough to do the right thing,, thats whats so
> frustrating,,,,

What would you do if they were driving your car without your permission?

This is not a technological problem.

Lanwench [MVP - Exchange]

Peter Foldes <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Tony
>
> There are many ways of doing this. But and a big BUT is that if I
> take my kids as an example then they will be around this lockout as
> fast as I put it in place. If I consider my kids as average teenagers
> then they all (teens and smaller kids )are able to do it also.It is a
> waste of time and nothing is more effective for this issue then being
> a parent

Yes. The way to handle it is to remove the computer from said teenager's
hands.

> "Tony" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> I have two teenage children that think its ok to connect to other
>> routers in the community once I turn ours off.. Meaning they are
>> staying up late surfing Myspace and FaceBook and chatting when they
>> are supposed to be in bed!.. lol I am wondering if there is a way I
>> can limit their access to just my router so when it shuts down they
>> can not longer connect to others.
>>
>> P.S. Ya gotta love teenagers!
>>
>> Thanks,,
>>
>> Tony

Tony

On May 19, 8:49*pm, "Lanwench [MVP - Exchange]"
<(E-Mail Removed) hoo.com> wrote:
> Tony <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> >> Well perhaps this is another selling point to wired network,
> >> such as power line (a.k.a. HomePNA).
> >> Then you are in full control. Turn the switch off, done.
> >> But smart kids can get USB wi-fi dongles ...

> >> -- pa

> > thanks to all for your suggestions,, and yes I agree they should be
> > responsible enough to do the right thing,, thats whats so
> > frustrating,,,,

> What would *you do if they were driving your car without your permission?
>
> This is not a technological problem.- Hide quoted text -

Lanwench,
I do not fear them killing themselves sitting in their bed as opposed
to driving without permission.

But I see your level of sarcasm and raise to a level of my own.

Lanwench [MVP - Exchange]

Tony <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> On May 19, 8:49 pm, "Lanwench [MVP - Exchange]"
> <(E-Mail Removed) hoo.com> wrote:
>> Tony <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>>> thanks to all for your suggestions,, and yes I agree they should be
>>> responsible enough to do the right thing,, thats whats so
>>> frustrating,,,,
>>> I

>> What would you do if they were driving your car without your
>> permission?
>>
>> This is not a technological problem.- Hide quoted text -

> Lanwench,
> I do not fear them killing themselves sitting in their bed as opposed
> to driving without permission.
>
> But I see your level of sarcasm and raise to a level of my own.

Rules is rules and your analogy is flawed. I'm sure a parent would be less
mad if their 16-year-old stayed up using Facebook, IM'ing, and surfing for
____ all night than if the same 16-year-old took the parental car without
permission and drove (safely and legally) to the mall. However, that doesn't
mean it's something you want them doing - or you wouldn't have posted in the
first place. Don't expect technology to handle this sort of thing. Your kids
will always be able to outsmart you in this arena....that's what kids do.
This is a losing battle unless you take the <item> away when they don't
follow the rules.