Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Wireless Networking > Limiting Access To My Router

Limiting Access To My Router

Tony

I have two teenage children that think its ok to connect to other
routers in the community once I turn ours off.. Meaning they are
staying up late surfing Myspace and FaceBook and chatting when they
are supposed to be in bed!.. lol I am wondering if there is a way I
can limit their access to just my router so when it shuts down they
can not longer connect to others.

P.S. Ya gotta love teenagers!

Thanks,,

Tony

Bob Lin \(MS-MVP\)

I think using a static IP address will do it. Make sure they don't have
administrator rights. good luck!

--
Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
http://www.ChicagoTech.net

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>I have two teenage children that think its ok to connect to other
> routers in the community once I turn ours off.. Meaning they are
> staying up late surfing Myspace and FaceBook and chatting when they
> are supposed to be in bed!.. lol I am wondering if there is a way I
> can limit their access to just my router so when it shuts down they
> can not longer connect to others.
>
> P.S. Ya gotta love teenagers!
>
> Thanks,,
>
> Tony

Lanwench [MVP - Exchange]

Tony <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> I have two teenage children that think its ok to connect to other
> routers in the community once I turn ours off.. Meaning they are
> staying up late surfing Myspace and FaceBook and chatting when they
> are supposed to be in bed!.. lol I am wondering if there is a way I
> can limit their access to just my router so when it shuts down they
> can not longer connect to others.
>
> P.S. Ya gotta love teenagers!
>
> Thanks,,
>
> Tony

Not that I know of, and as a wise man said, "There are seldom good
technological solutions to behavioral problems." Take the computers away if
they aren't adhering to the house rules. A computer is not a birthright, nor
is internet access. Keep the computers in the living room or any other
shared/communal space in the house.

Dave

'maybe'... most home networks probably use the default ip range so if there
were unsecured networks around they may still be able to use them as long as
they don't have an ip conflict with another machine already on the network.
if you pick an odd range for your own internal network and maybe change the
router gateway address for good measure that would slow them down a bit
more... unless they have a cooperative friend who sets theirs up the same
way. a better measure would be to have the machines in a family room, not
in their bedrooms... that would provide you with better parental supervision
of what they surf also!

"Bob Lin (MS-MVP)" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:%(E-Mail Removed)...
>I think using a static IP address will do it. Make sure they don't have
>administrator rights. good luck!
>
> --
> Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
> http://www.ChicagoTech.net
> http://www.HowToNetworking.com
>

> "Tony" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>I have two teenage children that think its ok to connect to other
>> routers in the community once I turn ours off.. Meaning they are
>> staying up late surfing Myspace and FaceBook and chatting when they
>> are supposed to be in bed!.. lol I am wondering if there is a way I
>> can limit their access to just my router so when it shuts down they
>> can not longer connect to others.
>>
>> P.S. Ya gotta love teenagers!
>>
>> Thanks,,
>>
>> Tony

Azure

What OS are they using on their computers? Vista?
If so take a look here:
http://www.microsoft.com/windows/win...-controls.aspx

Vista has parenting controls which allows the parent to set times the
computer can be used. It's password protected too.

Tony wrote:
> I have two teenage children that think its ok to connect to other
> routers in the community once I turn ours off.. Meaning they are
> staying up late surfing Myspace and FaceBook and chatting when they
> are supposed to be in bed!.. lol I am wondering if there is a way I
> can limit their access to just my router so when it shuts down they
> can not longer connect to others.
>
> P.S. Ya gotta love teenagers!
>
> Thanks,,
>
> Tony

Big_Al

Tony said this on 5/15/2009 9:06 AM:
> I have two teenage children that think its ok to connect to other
> routers in the community once I turn ours off.. Meaning they are
> staying up late surfing Myspace and FaceBook and chatting when they
> are supposed to be in bed!.. lol I am wondering if there is a way I
> can limit their access to just my router so when it shuts down they
> can not longer connect to others.
>
> P.S. Ya gotta love teenagers!
>
> Thanks,,
>
> Tony

Depending on your relationship with others in the area, you might get
them to turn on wep security on their routers. Hell, you might do it
for them. And it might be explained as a risk to them more than a aid
to you.

Pavel A.

Tony wrote:
> I have two teenage children that think its ok to connect to other
> routers in the community once I turn ours off.. Meaning they are
> staying up late surfing Myspace and FaceBook and chatting when they
> are supposed to be in bed!.. lol I am wondering if there is a way I
> can limit their access to just my router so when it shuts down they
> can not longer connect to others.

Well perhaps this is another selling point to wired network,
such as power line (a.k.a. HomePNA).
Then you are in full control. Turn the switch off, done.
But smart kids can get USB wi-fi dongles ...

-- pa

Tony

On May 18, 3:59*pm, "Pavel A." <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Tony wrote:
> > I have two teenage children that think its ok to connect to other
> > routers in the community once I turn ours off.. Meaning they are
> > staying up late surfing Myspace and FaceBook and chatting when they
> > are supposed to be in bed!.. lol * I am wondering if there is a way I
> > can limit their access to just my router so when it shuts down they
> > can not longer connect to others.

> Well perhaps this is another selling point to wired network,
> such as power line (a.k.a. HomePNA).
> Then you are in full control. Turn the switch off, done.
> But smart kids can get USB wi-fi dongles ...
>
> -- pa

thanks to all for your suggestions,, and yes I agree they should be
responsible enough to do the right thing,, thats whats so
frustrating,,,,

Jack-MVP

Hi
There are different tricks to lock down usage of other Access Points.
However the functionality of these tricks dependent on the knowledge of the
users.
I.e., a knowledgeable user can find ways to go around the "Blocks".
In case of teenagers it can turn even worse. If they do not know what to do
to free their system, they probably would turn to "geeks" friends for
advise, and then they can end up (might be unbeknown to them) getting
involved in illegal activities.
Jack (MS, MVP-Networking)

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
On May 18, 3:59 pm, "Pavel A." <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Tony wrote:
> > I have two teenage children that think its ok to connect to other
> > routers in the community once I turn ours off.. Meaning they are
> > staying up late surfing Myspace and FaceBook and chatting when they
> > are supposed to be in bed!.. lol I am wondering if there is a way I
> > can limit their access to just my router so when it shuts down they
> > can not longer connect to others.

> Well perhaps this is another selling point to wired network,
> such as power line (a.k.a. HomePNA).
> Then you are in full control. Turn the switch off, done.
> But smart kids can get USB wi-fi dongles ...
>
> -- pa

thanks to all for your suggestions,, and yes I agree they should be
responsible enough to do the right thing,, thats whats so
frustrating,,,,

Peter Foldes

Tony

There are many ways of doing this. But and a big BUT is that if I take my kids as an
example then they will be around this lockout as fast as I put it in place. If I
consider my kids as average teenagers then they all (teens and smaller kids )are
able to do it also.It is a waste of time and nothing is more effective for this
issue then being a parent

--
Peter

news:(E-Mail Removed)...