Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Windows Is Amazing

Windows Is Amazing

Lawrence D'Oliveiro

The more I learn about this operating system, the more it just takes my
breath away. The kinds of things you can do with it ... case in point: an
article entitled "20 Registry Hacks", on pages 94-96 of the May issue of APC
Magazine. It's full of gems like this:

Run REGEDIT, go to 'HKCR\Folder\shellex\ContextMenuHandlers', right-
click 'ContextMenuHandlers' and click 'New > Key'. Type '{a2a9545d-
a0c2-42b4-9708-a0b2badd77c8}' (as ever, without quotation marks) and
press Enter.

Now, what do you think that might do? It's so helpful of them to emphasize
the "without quotation marks" bit, since that's such a common mistake when
users try to follow instructions like this, don't you think? Or how about
this one:

To fix this, go to
'HCU\Software\Classes\LocalSettings\Software\Micro soft\Windows\Shell',
delete the 'Bags' subkey and then create a new Bags key in the same
location. Create a key called 'AllFolders' beneath Bags, and a key
called 'Shell' below that. Click it to open
'HCU\Software\Classes\LocalSettings\Software\Micro soft\Windows\Shell\Bags\AllFolders\Shell'.
Right-click the right-hand pane, choose 'New -> String Value' and
call this 'FolderType'. Then double-click FolderType and set its value
to 'NotSpecified'.

I like the way they keep dropping the word "Software" into the conversation,
just to make it clear what you're working with here. Very classy. Just in
case it's not your bag.

I have to take my hat off to Microsoft: Linux will never be able to match
this kind of advanced technology...

greg

You are so amazing that you don't realise that no one actually gives a
toss about anything you ever say, as it's the same old recycled crap
complaining about every little thing.

Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
> The more I learn about this operating system, the more it just takes my
> breath away. The kinds of things you can do with it ... case in point: an
> article entitled "20 Registry Hacks", on pages 94-96 of the May issue of APC
> Magazine. It's full of gems like this:
>
> Run REGEDIT, go to 'HKCR\Folder\shellex\ContextMenuHandlers', right-
> click 'ContextMenuHandlers' and click 'New > Key'. Type '{a2a9545d-
> a0c2-42b4-9708-a0b2badd77c8}' (as ever, without quotation marks) and
> press Enter.
>
> Now, what do you think that might do? It's so helpful of them to emphasize
> the "without quotation marks" bit, since that's such a common mistake when
> users try to follow instructions like this, don't you think? Or how about
> this one:
>
> To fix this, go to
> 'HCU\Software\Classes\LocalSettings\Software\Micro soft\Windows\Shell',
> delete the 'Bags' subkey and then create a new Bags key in the same
> location. Create a key called 'AllFolders' beneath Bags, and a key
> called 'Shell' below that. Click it to open
> 'HCU\Software\Classes\LocalSettings\Software\Micro soft\Windows\Shell\Bags\AllFolders\Shell'.
> Right-click the right-hand pane, choose 'New -> String Value' and
> call this 'FolderType'. Then double-click FolderType and set its value
> to 'NotSpecified'.
>
> I like the way they keep dropping the word "Software" into the conversation,
> just to make it clear what you're working with here. Very classy. Just in
> case it's not your bag.
>
> I have to take my hat off to Microsoft: Linux will never be able to match
> this kind of advanced technology...

Party Animal

greg wrote:
> You are so amazing that you don't realise that no one actually gives a
> toss about anything you ever say, as it's the same old recycled crap
> complaining about every little thing.

So snip it.

news2.thing@gmail.com

On May 16, 12:11*am, Lawrence D'Oliveiro <l...@geek-
central.gen.new_zealand> wrote:
> The more I learn about this operating system, the more it just takes my
> breath away. The kinds of things you can do with it ... case in point: an
> article entitled "20 Registry Hacks", on pages 94-96 of the May issue of APC
> Magazine. It's full of gems like this:
>
> * * Run REGEDIT, go to 'HKCR\Folder\shellex\ContextMenuHandlers', right-
> * * click 'ContextMenuHandlers' and click 'New > Key'. Type '{a2a9545d-
> * * a0c2-42b4-9708-a0b2badd77c8}' (as ever, without quotation marks) and
> * * press Enter.
>
> Now, what do you think that might do? It's so helpful of them to emphasize
> the "without quotation marks" bit, since that's such a common mistake when
> users try to follow instructions like this, don't you think? Or how about
> this one:
>
> * * To fix this, go to
> * * 'HCU\Software\Classes\LocalSettings\Software\Micro soft\Windows\Shell',
> * * delete the 'Bags' subkey and then create a new Bags key in the same
> * * location. Create a key called 'AllFolders' beneath Bags, and a key
> * * called 'Shell' below that. Click it to open
> * * 'HCU\Software\Classes\LocalSettings\Software\Micro soft\Windows\Shell\Bags\AllFolders\Shell'.
> * * * *Right-click the right-hand pane, choose 'New -> String Value' and
> * * *call this 'FolderType'. Then double-click FolderType and set its value
> * * *to 'NotSpecified'.
>
> I like the way they keep dropping the word "Software" into the conversation,
> just to make it clear what you're working with here. Very classy. Just in
> case it's not your bag.
>
> I have to take my hat off to Microsoft: Linux will never be able to match
> this kind of advanced technology...

NT == neanderthal technology.....in terms of its underlying
architecture its awful....

but lets face it, underneath yes its a dog but its cheap and easy to
use....on top it has features that Linux still lacks or costs an arm
and a leg.....ever looked for a decent Exchange replacement? sorry
does not exist....plus all the features around Exch 2007....

Easy to use is the point you have to remember.....easy to use by ppl
who think they know something about computers.....the reality is, to
use MS well you have to be pretty competent, as competent as
Linux.....but the learning curve is flatter than Linux....a moron can
point and click....and hit next....

When you look at the costs, support from say Red Hat is as expensive
as MS support, often its more as many ppl who know Linux think they
are worth more than a MS admin....reality check here....it isnt true.

regards

Thing

Lawrence D'Oliveiro

In message <e3a000ba-e614-42de-b7fd-
http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed)>, (E-Mail Removed) wrote:

> ....ever looked for a decent Exchange replacement?

<http://www.pcworld.com/article/143198/linux_communications_suite_enters_beta.html>
<http://www.tectonic.co.za/wordpress/?p=1049>

Just a couple of hits from
<http://www.google.com/search?q=linux+exchange+alternative>.

Lawrence D'Oliveiro

In message <e3a000ba-e614-42de-b7fd-
(E-Mail Removed)>, (E-Mail Removed) wrote:

> When you look at the costs, support from say Red Hat is as expensive
> as MS support ...

Seems fair enough. Particularly when you remember that, with Microsoft, you
have to add on the cost of the software as well...

impossible

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
On May 16, 12:11 am, Lawrence D'Oliveiro <l...@geek-
>central.gen.new_zealand> wrote:
>> The more I learn about this operating system, the more it just takes my
>> breath away. The kinds of things you can do with it ... case in point: an
>> article entitled "20 Registry Hacks", on pages 94-96 of the May issue of
>> APC
>> Magazine. It's full of gems like this:
>>
>> Run REGEDIT, go to 'HKCR\Folder\shellex\ContextMenuHandlers', right-
>> click 'ContextMenuHandlers' and click 'New > Key'. Type '{a2a9545d-
>> a0c2-42b4-9708-a0b2badd77c8}' (as ever, without quotation marks) and
>> press Enter.
>>
>> Now, what do you think that might do? It's so helpful of them to
>> emphasize
>> the "without quotation marks" bit, since that's such a common mistake
>> when
>> users try to follow instructions like this, don't you think? Or how about
>> this one:
>>
>> To fix this, go to
>> 'HCU\Software\Classes\LocalSettings\Software\Micro soft\Windows\Shell',
>> delete the 'Bags' subkey and then create a new Bags key in the same
>> location. Create a key called 'AllFolders' beneath Bags, and a key
>> called 'Shell' below that. Click it to open
>> 'HCU\Software\Classes\LocalSettings\Software\Micro soft\Windows\Shell\Bags\AllFolders\Shell'.
>> Right-click the right-hand pane, choose 'New -> String Value' and
>> call this 'FolderType'. Then double-click FolderType and set its value
>> to 'NotSpecified'.
>>
>> I like the way they keep dropping the word "Software" into the
>> conversation,
>> just to make it clear what you're working with here. Very classy. Just in
>> case it's not your bag.
>>
>> I have to take my hat off to Microsoft: Linux will never be able to match
>> this kind of advanced technology...

> NT == neanderthal technology.....in terms of its underlying
> architecture its awful....

Sitting and admiring the architecture seems to be a preoccupation with
freedtards.

> but lets face it, underneath yes its a dog but its cheap and easy to
> use....on top it has features that Linux still lacks or costs an arm
> and a leg.....ever looked for a decent Exchange replacement? sorry
> does not exist....plus all the features around Exch 2007....
>
> Easy to use is the point you have to remember.....easy to use by ppl
> who think they know something about computers.....the reality is, to
> use MS well you have to be pretty competent, as competent as
> Linux.....but the learning curve is flatter than Linux....a moron can
> point and click....and hit next....

Users prefer Windows precisely because the intricacies of the os need not
concern them. Windows users have real work to do, for which they load all
the Windows productivity applications that are so conspiculously absent from
the Linux desktop.

> When you look at the costs, support from say Red Hat is as expensive
> as MS support, often its more as many ppl who know Linux think they
> are worth more than a MS admin....reality check here....it isnt true.

SlowLearner

> Users prefer Windows precisely because the intricacies of the os need not
> concern them. Windows users have real work to do, for which they load all
> the Windows productivity applications that are so conspiculously absent from
> the Linux desktop.

Bashing LD when he is spouting off random fanboism is fine but this
time he has a point and at any rate at least come up with a decent
point of your own.

I keep hearing how Windows is simple and easy and soooo much betterer
etc but fact is once you get past a "click next" problem you hit (as a
non-tech end user) the exact same voodoo dark magic fixes for windows
problems as you do linux ones. I have had a number of things where I
have had to go registry spelunking in Vista to get things to work that
should have "just worked" but didn't (mounting a NAS drive being one
of them).

At least with linux someone will give you a commandline entry (which
is easy to look up to find out what it will do) or some edits to a
generally human readable file. Most windows fixes are along the lines
of "enter <seemingly random sequence of chars> to <obsure 10 deep
level of regsistry> and restart" or "install trial version of complex
commercial utility a, if that does not work instal trial of commercial
utility b and run that too. Also don't forget to make sure x is not
running ... etc". And while running the trial of a commercial version
on the face of it is easier you have just dumped your email addy off
with another spambot, installed another one shot app that will never
really disappear and in my experience as often as not does not work
anyway.

Add to the above that I can find answers to linux problems much faster
than windows ones (I suspect due to the fact that windows vendors game
google results with the intention of a quick sale resulting in piles
of useless advertising dross and flat out dodgy websites popping up) I
find troubleshooting in linux much easier.

Linux is not perfect by any means but I find I spend less time
swearing at it and trying to get it to do what *I* want than I do with
windows.

As a result I have a basically unused vista partition which I keep
incase my son wants to run his kids games (most of which fail for one
reason or another in vista anyway) and it is linux which gets used on
a daily basis.

I prefer linux. While I have have some interest in the the intricacies
of the os I still have real work to do, for which I simply use all the
productivity applications that came with my ubuntu install that are so
conspiculously absent from my Vista install.

impossible

"Larry D'Loser's Lawyer" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...

>> Users prefer Windows precisely because the intricacies of the os need not
>> concern them. Windows users have real work to do, for which they load all
>> the Windows productivity applications that are so conspiculously absent
>> from
>> the Linux desktop.

> Bashing LD when he is spouting off random fanboism is fine but this
> time he has a point and at any rate at least come up with a decent
> point of your own.
>
> I keep hearing how Windows is simple and easy and soooo much betterer
> etc but fact is once you get past a "click next" problem you hit (as a
> non-tech end user) the exact same voodoo dark magic fixes for windows
> problems as you do linux ones.

Yes, for most users, the Windows Registry is about as easy to understand as
some arcane command-line entry you'd type in Linux-- that is, it isn't
understandable at all and they can't be bothered with it. Users then
typically demand more and more gui-based customizations in Windows (and with
Vista, for example, they certainly get them), while abandoning Linux
altogether. What's your point?

>I have had a number of things where I
> have had to go registry spelunking in Vista to get things to work that
> should have "just worked" but didn't (mounting a NAS drive being one
> of them).

You probably could have Googled the solution much faster than "spelunking"
in the Registry. Try that next time -- if a Registry fix is required, a
script to genderate the needed Registry changes is probably out there
already.

> At least with linux someone will give you a commandline entry (which
> is easy to look up to find out what it will do) or some edits to a
> generally human readable file. Most windows fixes are along the lines
> of "enter <seemingly random sequence of chars> to <obsure 10 deep
> level of regsistry> and restart" or "install trial version of complex
> commercial utility a, if that does not work instal trial of commercial
> utility b and run that too. Also don't forget to make sure x is not
> running ... etc". And while running the trial of a commercial version
> on the face of it is easier you have just dumped your email addy off
> with another spambot, installed another one shot app that will never
> really disappear and in my experience as often as not does not work
> anyway.

Horses for courses. 99.9% of users are not going to find nix command-line
solutions one bit easier to decode.

> Add to the above that I can find answers to linux problems much faster
> than windows ones (I suspect due to the fact that windows vendors game
> google results with the intention of a quick sale resulting in piles
> of useless advertising dross and flat out dodgy websites popping up) I
> find troubleshooting in linux much easier.

You need to learn to use Google more effectively. There are courses for that
sort of thing, you know? Not to mention the Google help pages.

> Linux is not perfect by any means but I find I spend less time
> swearing at it and trying to get it to do what *I* want than I do with
> windows.

You'd bve an exception -- but then you knew that already.

> As a result I have a basically unused vista partition which I keep
> incase my son wants to run his kids games (most of which fail for one
> reason or another in vista anyway) and it is linux which gets used on
> a daily basis.

You wasted your money then buying Vista. Is that what you're mad about?

> I prefer linux. While I have have some interest in the the intricacies
> of the os I still have real work to do, for which I simply use all the
> productivity applications that came with my ubuntu install that are so
> conspiculously absent from my Vista install.

Whatever.

SlowLearner

On May 17, 1:34*am, "impossible" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> [...]

> sort of thing, you know? Not to mention the Google help pages.
>
> > Linux is not perfect by any means but I find I spend less time
> > swearing at it and trying to get it to do what *I* want than I do with
> > windows.

> You'd bve an exception -- but then you knew that already.
>
> > As a result I have a basically unused vista partition which I keep
> > incase my son wants to run his kids games (most of which fail for one
> > reason or another in vista anyway) and it is linux which gets used on
> > a daily basis.

> You wasted your money then buying Vista. Is that what you're mad about?
>
> > I prefer linux. While I have have some interest in the the intricacies
> > of the os I still have real work to do, for which I simply use all the
> > productivity applications that came with my ubuntu install that are so
> > conspiculously absent from my Vista install.

And I think you're last witty 'response' sums up your inability to
actually generate a point worth making.

The coded windows registry hacks and suggestions of software come from
google searches. As you have agreed for end users troubleshooting in
windws and linux can be equally frustrating and obtuse, however, at
least with linux if I want to work out what the edit/command will
actually do it is much simpler than trying to decode a premade .reg
file.

My google skills are pretty good. If you have a useful suggestion on
how to remove the advertising cruft from my windows help related
searches thats great. I suspect you don't, like, whatever.

I am not mad that I "wasted money" buying Vista. I had no choice in
the matter but thats life and it *is* good for playing games on as for
commercial games linux is still far far behind windows.

I think you need to open your other eye.

Amazing windows! J Computer Support 9 12-04-2008 02:02 PM
Re: Amazing hardware, Amazing software, Amazing Stories Mike Painter HTML 0 11-02-2006 11:18 PM
Best Studying Matrial + Amazing Cost + 3 in price of 1 JohnCena MCSD 1 02-21-2006 10:42 AM
Best Studying Matrial + Amazing Cost + 3 in price of 1 JohnCena MCSD 0 01-11-2006 12:49 PM
Re: Bulk Newsgroup Poster - amazing result Malke Wireless Networking 0 01-17-2005 01:35 AM

Advertisments