Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Wireless Networking > Disconnected Network Drives on Startup

Disconnected Network Drives on Startup

Steve Wright

Hi

My Problem:
Whenever I startup the laptop all drives are listed but disconnected in My
Computer and I have to access each one in turn to reconnect. They are all
set up for "Reconnect on logon".

Background:
I am using a Toshiba (Satellite Pro) laptop on a Netgear wireless
network/router (802.11g)
I have 6 networked drive letters, 2 directed to my desktop PC and the other
4 to a NAS drive, all on the same network.
The desktop and NAS drive are wired connections to the router.
The desktop (nearly) always starts with its drives connected.
I use Windows XP with service pack 3 installed.

Is there something I can do, some setting to change, that would force the
network drives to connect automatically on startup?

Thanks in anticipation!
--
Steve Wright

Bob Lin \(MS-MVP\)

It could be 3rd party software issue. For troubleshooting, try clean boot or
safe mode with network. If you still have the same problem, use logon script
to map the drives.
Windows general
How to run Windows OS with a clean boot · How to Run Windows Safe Mode
with Networking · How to setup DHCP for IP Phone How to sort programs in
Start ...
http://www.howtonetworking.com/Windo...owsgeneral.htm

--
Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
http://www.ChicagoTech.net
http://www.HowToNetworking.com

"Steve Wright" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi
>
> My Problem:
> Whenever I startup the laptop all drives are listed but disconnected in My
> Computer and I have to access each one in turn to reconnect. They are all
> set up for "Reconnect on logon".
>
> Background:
> I am using a Toshiba (Satellite Pro) laptop on a Netgear wireless
> network/router (802.11g)
> I have 6 networked drive letters, 2 directed to my desktop PC and the
> other
> 4 to a NAS drive, all on the same network.
> The desktop and NAS drive are wired connections to the router.
> The desktop (nearly) always starts with its drives connected.
> I use Windows XP with service pack 3 installed.
>
> Is there something I can do, some setting to change, that would force the
> network drives to connect automatically on startup?
>
> Thanks in anticipation!
> --
> Steve Wright

Pavel A.

When you access these drives first time after startup,
do you have to enter some passwords, or is there
an intolerable delay?
If not - there's no problem, this is normal behavior.
Network resources not accessed for long time
go to "standby" and appear as disconnected in some Windows versions.
They should auto reconnect on access.

-- pa