Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Python > UpLib 1.7.6 available

UpLib 1.7.6 available

Bill Janssen

I've released the latest version of my UpLib personal digital library
system.

For those of you unfamiliar with UpLib, here's the abstract:

The UpLib personal digital library system provides a secure
long-term storage system, and a visually-oriented retrieval
mechanism, for a wide variety of personal documents such as papers,
photos, receipts, music, Web pages, books, clippings, and email. It
is suitable for collections comprising tens of thousands of
documents, and provides for ease of document entry and access as
well as high levels of security and privacy. It is highly extensible
through user scripting, and supports collaborative sharing of those
extensions through a common extensions library.

It's mainly written in Python -- there's a scrap of C code for page
image zone classification, PyLucene is used for indexing and search,
and there's a fairly extensive Java client-side library, including a
document reader.

Among other things, it includes my Python IMAP server, which allows an
UpLib document repository to be used as an IMAP mail server.

http://uplib.parc.com/

Bill