Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > ide to sata adapter

ide to sata adapter

news2.thing@gmail.com

Hi,

I have come into possession of a large number of IDE drives....so I'd
like to use them on a sata motherboard specifically the ICH9R chipset
but probably as JBOD so I can backup to disk....can anybody recommend
converters that work? I had one given to me but it never worked....

:/

The ones I can see on trademe are,

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Computers/C...-218260253.htm

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Computers/O...-217796402.htm

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Computers/C...-218183184.htm

regards

Thing

Stephen Worthington

On Thu, 14 May 2009 18:34:57 -0700 (PDT), http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) wrote:

>Hi,
>
>I have come into possession of a large number of IDE drives....so I'd
>like to use them on a sata motherboard specifically the ICH9R chipset
>but probably as JBOD so I can backup to disk....can anybody recommend
>converters that work? I had one given to me but it never worked....
>
>:/
>
>The ones I can see on trademe are,
>
>http://www.trademe.co.nz/Computers/C...-218260253.htm
>
>http://www.trademe.co.nz/Computers/O...-217796402.htm
>
>http://www.trademe.co.nz/Computers/C...-218183184.htm
>
>regards
>
>Thing

I have used two different ones, one from Jaycar and one I bought
through Ascent, and they both worked fine. Of course, they were
retail price and rather more expensive than those on Trademe now. But
there should be no reason why the Trademe ones would not work well. I
have only used mine to put IDE drives on SATA ports, but most of them
are advertised to work the other way around as well. My motherboard
uses IHC9R also.

Make sure you get one that includes the cables if you need them -
buying them separately would cost as much as those converters do.

Some have Molex power sockets (IDE) on the converter, and some have
SATA power sockets. Choose which you prefer. You still need to
provide power to the drive, as well as the converter, so you need more
power connectors from your PC power supply. It is easy to get Y
cables for Molex power plugs to add an extra plug, but I have not seen
the same for SATA, although I presume it will exist somewhere.

news2.thing@gmail.com

On May 15, 2:59*pm, Stephen Worthington
<(E-Mail Removed)34.nz56.remove_numbers> wrote:
> On Thu, 14 May 2009 18:34:57 -0700 (PDT), (E-Mail Removed) wrote:
> >Hi,

> >I have come into possession of a large number of IDE drives....so I'd
> >like to use them on a sata motherboard specifically the ICH9R chipset
> >but probably as JBOD so I can backup to disk....can anybody recommend
> >converters that work? I had one given to me but it never worked....

> >:/

> >The ones I can see on trademe are,

> >http://www.trademe.co.nz/Computers/C...es/Other/aucti...

> >http://www.trademe.co.nz/Computers/O...-217796402.htm

> >http://www.trademe.co.nz/Computers/C...tion-218183184...

> >regards

> >Thing

> I have used two different ones, one from Jaycar and one I bought
> through Ascent, and they both worked fine. *Of course, they were
> retail price and rather more expensive than those on Trademe now. *But
> there should be no reason why the Trademe ones would not work well. *I
> have only used mine to put IDE drives on SATA ports, but most of them
> are advertised to work the other way around as well. *My motherboard
> uses IHC9R also.
>
> Make sure you get one that includes the cables if you need them -
> buying them separately would cost as much as those converters do.
>
> Some have Molex power sockets (IDE) on the converter, and some have
> SATA power sockets. *Choose which you prefer. *You still need to
> provide power to the drive, as well as the converter, so you need more
> power connectors from your PC power supply. *It is easy to get Y
> cables for Molex power plugs to add an extra plug, but I have not seen
> the same for SATA, although I presume it will exist somewhere.

Did you have an issue with speed selection? ie these all look to be
sata 1 and not 2 Im wondering if the one I had just didnt neg properly
with the motherboard but if your ich9r worked, well I should be
OK......speed itself not an issue as I just want disk to backup to, so
whether its 40 mins or 60mins overnight, well I dont care.

Power connections are not an issue.....

regards

Thing

Stephen Worthington

On Fri, 15 May 2009 16:12:53 -0700 (PDT), (E-Mail Removed) wrote:

>On May 15, 2:59*pm, Stephen Worthington
><(E-Mail Removed)34.nz56.remove_numbers> wrote:
>> On Thu, 14 May 2009 18:34:57 -0700 (PDT), (E-Mail Removed) wrote:
>> >Hi,

>> >I have come into possession of a large number of IDE drives....so I'd
>> >like to use them on a sata motherboard specifically the ICH9R chipset
>> >but probably as JBOD so I can backup to disk....can anybody recommend
>> >converters that work? I had one given to me but it never worked....

>> >:/

>> >The ones I can see on trademe are,

>> >http://www.trademe.co.nz/Computers/C...es/Other/aucti...

>> >http://www.trademe.co.nz/Computers/O...-217796402.htm

>> >http://www.trademe.co.nz/Computers/C...tion-218183184...

>> >regards

>> >Thing

>> I have used two different ones, one from Jaycar and one I bought
>> through Ascent, and they both worked fine. *Of course, they were
>> retail price and rather more expensive than those on Trademe now. *But
>> there should be no reason why the Trademe ones would not work well. *I
>> have only used mine to put IDE drives on SATA ports, but most of them
>> are advertised to work the other way around as well. *My motherboard
>> uses IHC9R also.
>>
>> Make sure you get one that includes the cables if you need them -
>> buying them separately would cost as much as those converters do.
>>
>> Some have Molex power sockets (IDE) on the converter, and some have
>> SATA power sockets. *Choose which you prefer. *You still need to
>> provide power to the drive, as well as the converter, so you need more
>> power connectors from your PC power supply. *It is easy to get Y
>> cables for Molex power plugs to add an extra plug, but I have not seen
>> the same for SATA, although I presume it will exist somewhere.

>Did you have an issue with speed selection? ie these all look to be
>sata 1 and not 2 Im wondering if the one I had just didnt neg properly
>with the motherboard but if your ich9r worked, well I should be
>OK......speed itself not an issue as I just want disk to backup to, so
>whether its 40 mins or 60mins overnight, well I dont care.
>
>Power connections are not an issue.....
>
>regards
>
>Thing

They are all SATA 1 as far as I can tell. IDE drives do not work
faster than SATA 1, so it is not a problem.