Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > looking for the right Usenet group which covers video capture cards

looking for the right Usenet group which covers video capture cards

michaele@ando.pair.com

Hi all!

I am looking for the right Usenet group which covers analog video
capture cards. Specifically I am trying to find a driver for an Intel
video capture card which will work under WinXP. Intel discontinued
updating drivers for it at Win98 after discontinuing the card. I was
once able somehow to enable the card in WinXP but after having to
reinstall OS I was unable to replicate this feat. It involved a
Brooktree Bt848 driver as I remember.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Mike Eisenstadt
Austin, Texas

Mike Easter

Subject: looking for the right Usenet group which covers video capture
cards

> Specifically I am trying to find a driver for an Intel
> video capture card

What is the name and modelno of the card? The newsgroup isn't going to
know which card you have.

--
Mike Easter

Tony

http://members.driverguide.com/drive...driverid=77359
Download this file by viewing a series of ads

--
The Grandmaster of the CyberFROG

Come get your ticket to CyberFROG city

proper manners

beyond the realm of understandability

thanatoid

news:(E-Mail Removed)
oups.com:

> Hi all!
>
> I am looking for the right Usenet group which covers analog
> video capture cards. Specifically I am trying to find a
> driver for an Intel video capture card which will work
> under WinXP. Intel discontinued updating drivers for it at
> Win98 after discontinuing the card. I was once able somehow
> to enable the card in WinXP but after having to reinstall
> OS I was unable to replicate this feat. It involved a
> Brooktree Bt848 driver as I remember.
>
> Thanks in advance for your help.
>
> Mike Eisenstadt
> Austin, Texas

Google for the exact manuf. name and model no. of the card and
optionally the term "XP driver" if you want XP /ONLY/.

You'll be surprised at what you can find. I found XP drivers for
a rare scanner built in 1998 if not 1997.

It /will/ take some work, of course. And /no one/ in /any/ group
is going to post the driver for you. Actually, I may be dumb
enough to go to the trouble but like everyone else that read
your post, I have no details of your hardware.

Just for the hell of it, a wild stab in the dark, here's this:
http://downloads.zdnet.com/abstract.aspx?docid=515827

--
Lots of theoretical butchers are alleged and other bloody eyes
are suitable, but will Pam secure that?

Mike Eisenstadt

The card is an Intel ISVR III. My basic question was which Usenet
group addresses issues of video capture. There were discussions
somewhere on the Internet in the past regarding running this card
under WinXP but I have been unable to find them despite much Googling.

Thanks in advance for the name of the Usenet group or Web based forum
that might be of help.

Mike Eisenstadt
Austin Texas

Mike Easter

Mike Eisenstadt wrote:
> The card is an Intel ISVR III. My basic question was which Usenet
> group addresses issues of video capture. There were discussions
> somewhere on the Internet in the past regarding running this card
> under WinXP but I have been unable to find them despite much Googling.
>
> Thanks in advance for the name of the Usenet group or Web based forum
> that might be of help.

In 2007 Jul you had this 5 msg conversation in rec.video.desktop about the
Intel Smart Video Recorder III and were advised about the Brooktree BT848
chipset, but the links provided don't go (directly) to anyXP drivers for
the ISVR. Intel's support pages don't have the XP drivers. The snipr
link below is to the GG display of the thread.

http://snipr.com/i2nrg
From: Mike Eisenstadt
Newsgroups: rec.video.desktop
Subject: desparately seeking WinXP driver for Instel SMR III video capture
card
Date: Sat, 28 Jul 2007 17:39:34 -0000

Since you participate in usenet, you should get a newsreader and find a
free or nearly free newsserver. GG is a good tool for searching, but
there are myriad reasons that GG's interface should not be used for
reading and posting to usenet.

--
Mike Easter

Mike Easter

Mike Easter wrote:
> Mike Eisenstadt wrote:
>> The card is an Intel ISVR III.

> In 2007 Jul you had this 5 msg conversation in rec.video.desktop about
> the Intel Smart Video Recorder III and were advised about the Brooktree
> BT848 chipset,

Here's^1 a discussion of someone with the ISVR and XP seeking drivers who
encountered the Brooktree BT848 chipset information and began seeking that
type of driver. Eventually he was successful finding a Conexant driver
for the chipset which worked satisfactorily, but he didn't provide a link
to that driver.

^1 http://snipurl.com/i2srw

The conexant website sez that they never made vid capture and advised
seeking drivers at the mfr of the device, which brings you back to the
intel no support only old w9x drivers.

But, the tweaking and work on the Brooktree BT8x8 chipsets is very
extensive and there is much information to be gained at such sites as
this^2:

^2 http://www.iulabs.com/drv/index.shtml weaked bt878 WDM drivers >>
Overview -- drivers are based on source code of Conexant's reference WDM
driver

.... but that site's compatibilty list doesn't mention Intel.

However, a similar site^3 has even more and similar information and an
even more extensive compatiblity list

^3 http://btwincap.sourceforge.net/ The current driver is a Video Capture
driver for Bt848, Bt849, Bt878 and Bt879 based video capture boards. It
tries to take the most of the hardware, using all the features the chipset
has to offer. It is also implemented as a WDM driver, so the same driver
works under Win2000, Win98SE, WinXP and WinMe without modifications.

The supported cards section of that website is extensive and lists Intel

Conclusion: I would expect the driver installer found in the zipfile
btwdmdrvinstaller5.3.8.zip file at numerous sites including the above to
work for your ISVR III

If it works as expected, then you should support Eduardo José Tagle's site
and development at this^4 link

^4 http://btwincap.sourceforge.net/donations.html Contribute to the Cause

--
Mike Easter

Mike Eisenstadt

Thanks Mike for your effort to help me solve the problem without
the usual snarky remarks about how stupid the poster is.

I tried all the possibilities you suggested but to no avail.

I do have some workarounds though. I can use the digital Firewire
output of the 3-CCD prosumer camcorder but its color accuracy is
somewhat inferior to its S-video output. I have a disconnected HD
with Win98SE installed in the computer but it requires that I
temporarily
replace the pricey GPU which does not have a Win98 driver and
find an older GPU on Ebay. As the GPU has already been repaired
under warranty, I do not want to remove it. I only need to fire up
the camcorder 2x a year to update an archive of art students'
paintings so I really dont want an extra computer in our tiny
apartment.

There is a way to get the Intel ISVR III card to work under
WinXP because I once implemented it.Unfortunately that HD died
and I could never replicate the setup. Now that it is the time to
fire up the camcorder, I figured I should make another attempt
in this regard.

Mike Eisenstadt
Austin Texas

On May 15, 9:44*am, "Mike Easter" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Mike Easter wrote:
> > Mike Eisenstadt wrote:
> >> The card is an Intel ISVR III.

> > In 2007 Jul you had this 5 msg conversation in rec.video.desktop about
> > the Intel Smart Video Recorder III and were advised about the Brooktree
> > BT848 chipset,

> Here's^1 a discussion of someone with the ISVR and XP seeking drivers who
> encountered the Brooktree BT848 chipset information and began seeking that
> type of driver. *Eventually he was successful finding a Conexant driver
> for the chipset which worked satisfactorily, but he didn't provide a link
> to that driver.
>
> ^1http://snipurl.com/i2srw
>
> The conexant website sez that they never made vid capture and advised
> seeking drivers at the mfr of the device, which brings you back to the
> intel no support only old w9x drivers.
>
> But, the tweaking and work on the Brooktree BT8x8 chipsets is very
> extensive and there is much information to be gained at such sites as
> this^2:
>
> ^2http://www.iulabs.com/drv/index.shtml*weaked bt878 WDM drivers >>
> Overview -- *drivers are based on source code of Conexant's reference WDM
> driver
>
> ... but that site's compatibilty list doesn't mention Intel.
>
> However, a similar site^3 has even more and similar information and an
> even more extensive compatiblity list
>
> ^3http://btwincap.sourceforge.net/*The current driver is a Video Capture
> driver for Bt848, Bt849, Bt878 and Bt879 based video capture boards. It
> tries to take the most of the hardware, using all the features the chipset
> has to offer. It is also implemented as a WDM driver, so the same driver
> works under Win2000, Win98SE, WinXP and WinMe without modifications.
>
> The supported cards section of that website is extensive and lists Intel
>
> Conclusion: *I would expect the driver installer found in the zipfile
> btwdmdrvinstaller5.3.8.zip file at numerous sites including the above to
> work for your ISVR III
>
> If it works as expected, then you should support Eduardo José Tagle's site
> and development at this^4 link
>
> ^4http://btwincap.sourceforge.net/donations.html*Contribute to the Cause
>
> --
> Mike Easter

Mike Easter

Mike Eisenstadt wrote:
> Thanks Mike for your effort to help me solve the problem without
> the usual snarky remarks about how stupid the poster is.
>
> I tried all the possibilities you suggested but to no avail.

It is very important that you read all of the guidelines which Tagle
provides at his site. I'll mention a few things from the installation
page.

<ejt> Before running the installer, you must have installed the old
drivers of your card, or have listed the Video Capture card in Device
Manager under Other Devices -- You MUST NOT uninstall any driver to
install this one.-- You should know that improper configuration settings
will make the driver partially functional. Probably TV tuner and TV audio
won´t work as expected (if they work at all). </ejt>

The ISVR definitely has the Brooktree BT848 chipset; you can tell that
from information which Intel provided in their own support docs. In the
beginning there was brooktree which became rockwell which became conexant,
which explains the confusion over conexant saying they never made any such
hardware. Someone else (brooktree) made it which got bought (rockwell)
which got bought (conexant).

<ejt> the original driver found in the Win98DDK was based (maybe written)
on the original driver written by Brooktree. So , from now on, I will
acknowledge as the original authors of the original code (NOT the driver
you have now) to Brooktree (then Rockwell, now Conexant). </ejt>

<wiki> Brooktree was bought by Rockwell Semiconductors in 1996, which
became Conexant in 1998. [1] - Brooktree is well known for their PCI video
capture chipsets like the Bt848 and Bt878. These were frequently used by
Hauppauge.</wiki>

--
Mike Easter