Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Information > ODIN OCE12C887A (RTC)

ODIN OCE12C887A (RTC)

KHL

Old machine, clean, 13 years old, "NO VIDEO signal", ran flawlessly for 13
years.
"ERROR BEEPS at post ", Beep Beep,(pause) Beep Boop !
Can not find this audio code anywhere,
Found statements like, "too many different machine,each may have different
codes."

AWARD bios, INTEVA machine 1996, swapped video cards, memory swaps.
Pwr Sup chk, no success.

Could the ODIN CMOS chip, if the internal BATTERY were dead,
prevent the machine from booting?
(FYI and Dallas Semi says, battery life 5~10 years,)
Any info would be appreciated.

Thanks Ken.................

PS. Old machines that still do a job are hard to give up.

Baron

KHL wrote:

> Old machine, clean, 13 years old, "NO VIDEO signal", ran flawlessly
> for 13 years.
> "ERROR BEEPS at post ", Beep Beep,(pause) Beep Boop !
> Can not find this audio code anywhere,
> Found statements like, "too many different machine,each may have
> different codes."
>
> AWARD bios, INTEVA machine 1996, swapped video cards, memory swaps.
> Pwr Sup chk, no success.
>
> Could the ODIN CMOS chip, if the internal BATTERY were dead,
> prevent the machine from booting?
> (FYI and Dallas Semi says, battery life 5~10 years,)
> Any info would be appreciated.
>
> Thanks Ken.................
>
> PS. Old machines that still do a job are hard to give up.

If I recall, Phoenix Bios, battery failure. Can't find my BIOS book to
confirm it. On some machines you can plug in an external battery.
Often 4 AA cells or 6volt Lithium battery. Assuming you can still find
one.

--
Best Regards:
Baron.

Paul

Baron wrote:
> KHL wrote:
>
>> Old machine, clean, 13 years old, "NO VIDEO signal", ran flawlessly
>> for 13 years.
>> "ERROR BEEPS at post ", Beep Beep,(pause) Beep Boop !
>> Can not find this audio code anywhere,
>> Found statements like, "too many different machine,each may have
>> different codes."
>>
>> AWARD bios, INTEVA machine 1996, swapped video cards, memory swaps.
>> Pwr Sup chk, no success.
>>
>> Could the ODIN CMOS chip, if the internal BATTERY were dead,
>> prevent the machine from booting?
>> (FYI and Dallas Semi says, battery life 5~10 years,)
>> Any info would be appreciated.
>>
>> Thanks Ken.................
>>
>> PS. Old machines that still do a job are hard to give up.

> If I recall, Phoenix Bios, battery failure. Can't find my BIOS book to
> confirm it. On some machines you can plug in an external battery.
> Often 4 AA cells or 6volt Lithium battery. Assuming you can still find
> one.

You can use an archived copy of the bioscentral.com site, to look
for beep codes. Don't use the current site - the browser marked
it as a known "attack" site, so the current site is not safe.
The archive should be OK.

http://web.archive.org/web/200603140.../awardbeep.htm

( Warning -- http://www.siteadvisor.com/sites/bioscentral.com )

*******

This isn't a real data sheet, but is as close as I could get.

http://web.archive.org/web/199806100...DFs/12887a.pdf

http://www.qxsz.com/images/time/12c887.gif

(Dallas is now a part of Maxim.)
http://www.maxim-ic.com/appnotes.cfm/appnote_number/503

http://www.epower2go.biz/index1.html

http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/article/81/3

Someone even makes a board, to write stuff into the RTC.
Presumably, for those cases, where the RTC cannot be erased,
or the BIOS won't program it. This thing is old enough, it is
still an ISA board.

http://www.costronic.com/Ev656.htm

Good luck,
Paul

KHL

Paul, Baron
Thanks for the info, the last Link I think is the ticket (hoping) ..
That is a great site, http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/article/81/3
My next trick is the surgery.

I'm still wondering, if the battery is dead, will it boot, as in
give me something to the monitor..?
The appnote from the Maxim link does not say this specifically.

Thanks Again Ken

news:gui479$shr$(E-Mail Removed)...

http://web.archive.org/web/200603140...beepcodes/awar
dbeep.htm

> ( Warning -- http://www.siteadvisor.com/sites/bioscentral.com )
>
> *******
>
> This isn't a real data sheet, but is as close as I could get.

http://web.archive.org/web/199806100...om/DocControl/
PDFs/12887a.pdf

> http://www.qxsz.com/images/time/12c887.gif
>
> (Dallas is now a part of Maxim.)
> http://www.maxim-ic.com/appnotes.cfm/appnote_number/503
>
> http://www.epower2go.biz/index1.html
>
> http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/article/81/3
>
> Someone even makes a board, to write stuff into the RTC.
> Presumably, for those cases, where the RTC cannot be erased,
> or the BIOS won't program it. This thing is old enough, it is
> still an ISA board.
>
> http://www.costronic.com/Ev656.htm
>
> Good luck,
> Paul

Baron

KHL wrote:

> Paul, Baron
> Thanks for the info, the last Link I think is the ticket (hoping) ..
> That is a great site, http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/article/81/3
> My next trick is the surgery.
>
> I'm still wondering, if the battery is dead, will it boot, as in
> give me something to the monitor..?
> The appnote from the Maxim link does not say this specifically.
>
> Thanks Again Ken

If you have a multimeter you can measure the battery voltage across the
pins indicated in that link. FWIW I have recovered several Dallas
clock chips by using an external battery. You need a steady hand, a
good soldering iron and an inch or two of fine (3amp fuse wire). A hot
melt glue gun is very handy for sticking and insulating the new
battery.

But before you go to all that trouble, do check that there is not a
battery header that you can just plug onto.

--
Best Regards:
Baron.

James D. Andrews

"KHL" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:4a0d82b6$0$2693$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Paul, Baron
> Thanks for the info, the last Link I think is the ticket (hoping) ..
> That is a great site, http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/article/81/3
> My next trick is the surgery.
>
> I'm still wondering, if the battery is dead, will it boot, as in
> give me something to the monitor..?
> The appnote from the Maxim link does not say this specifically.
>
> Thanks Again Ken
>
> Paul <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:gui479$shr$(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Baron wrote:

>> > If I recall, Phoenix Bios, battery failure. Can't find my BIOS book to
>> > confirm it. On some machines you can plug in an external battery.
>> > Often 4 AA cells or 6volt Lithium battery. Assuming you can still find
>> > one.
>> >

>> You can use an archived copy of the bioscentral.com site, to look
>> for beep codes. Don't use the current site - the browser marked
>> it as a known "attack" site, so the current site is not safe.
>> The archive should be OK.
>>

> http://web.archive.org/web/200603140...beepcodes/awar
> dbeep.htm
>>
>> ( Warning -- http://www.siteadvisor.com/sites/bioscentral.com )
>>
>> *******
>>
>> This isn't a real data sheet, but is as close as I could get.
>>

> http://web.archive.org/web/199806100...om/DocControl/
> PDFs/12887a.pdf
>>
>> http://www.qxsz.com/images/time/12c887.gif
>>
>> (Dallas is now a part of Maxim.)
>> http://www.maxim-ic.com/appnotes.cfm/appnote_number/503
>>
>> http://www.epower2go.biz/index1.html
>>
>> http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/article/81/3
>>
>> Someone even makes a board, to write stuff into the RTC.
>> Presumably, for those cases, where the RTC cannot be erased,
>> or the BIOS won't program it. This thing is old enough, it is
>> still an ISA board.
>>
>> http://www.costronic.com/Ev656.htm
>>
>> Good luck,
>> Paul

Maybe a stupid question on my part or a blaring overlook of something, but
can't you just replace the battery? A lot of problems with my older systems
were solved with a couple bucks and a trip to Wally World.

What am I missing here?

Woof

Paul

James D. Andrews wrote:
> "KHL" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:4a0d82b6$0$2693$(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Paul, Baron
>> Thanks for the info, the last Link I think is the ticket (hoping) ..
>> That is a great site, http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/article/81/3
>> My next trick is the surgery.
>>
>> I'm still wondering, if the battery is dead, will it boot, as in
>> give me something to the monitor..?
>> The appnote from the Maxim link does not say this specifically.
>>
>> Thanks Again Ken
>>
>> Paul <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:gui479$shr$(E-Mail Removed)...

>>> You can use an archived copy of the bioscentral.com site, to look
>>> for beep codes. Don't use the current site - the browser marked
>>> it as a known "attack" site, so the current site is not safe.
>>> The archive should be OK.
>>>

>> http://web.archive.org/web/200603140...beepcodes/awar
>> dbeep.htm
>>> ( Warning -- http://www.siteadvisor.com/sites/bioscentral.com )
>>>
>>> *******
>>>
>>> This isn't a real data sheet, but is as close as I could get.
>>>

>> http://web.archive.org/web/199806100...om/DocControl/
>> PDFs/12887a.pdf
>>> http://www.qxsz.com/images/time/12c887.gif
>>>
>>> (Dallas is now a part of Maxim.)
>>> http://www.maxim-ic.com/appnotes.cfm/appnote_number/503
>>>
>>> http://www.epower2go.biz/index1.html
>>>
>>> http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/article/81/3
>>>
>>> Someone even makes a board, to write stuff into the RTC.
>>> Presumably, for those cases, where the RTC cannot be erased,
>>> or the BIOS won't program it. This thing is old enough, it is
>>> still an ISA board.
>>>
>>> http://www.costronic.com/Ev656.htm
>>>
>>> Good luck,
>>> Paul

> Maybe a stupid question on my part or a blaring overlook of something, but
> can't you just replace the battery? A lot of problems with my older systems
> were solved with a couple bucks and a trip to Wally World.
>
> What am I missing here?
>
> Woof

The Dallas chips, have the battery hidden inside the plastic.
Which is a stupid move, but does make manufacturing easier.
(The component is probably safe to wash with flux remover.)

I've seen one person, Dremel the plastic off one of those
chips, and fit batteries to it, but the result was just
a mess. It helps if you know the internal layout, so you
don't Dremel the wrong thing (like cut a conductor).

The batteries are what makes this component, taller than normal.
The IC is in the bottom half, the batteries above. There might
even be a 32KHz quartz crystal in there as well.

http://sales.jack.ch/images/DSC00605...S12887_RTC.JPG

What I don't understand, is if +5V is available on the board,
the Dallas chip has a +5V input as well as the battery internally.
You'd think, via diode ORing, that the motherboard power supply
would power the Dallas, even if the BIOS settings and time
were corrupted. So as far as I can see, the BIOS should still
start. The issue would be, whether the BIOS has the modern
startup logic in it, to compute the checksum of the CMOS
RAM locations (114 bytes?), and overwrite them to default values
if the checksum indicates corruption.

The difference on a modern motherboard, where it stops booting
when the battery is dead, is on the modern motherboard, the
CMOS battery actually powers a small portion of the Southbridge
"well". Everything in the well is supposed to be isolated
with transmission gates, so there shouldn't be phantom current
flow and the like. And yet, there are persistent reports, that
on some motherboards, a flat battery prevents booting. And that
suggests that other portions of the Southbridge, or perhaps
some power management logic, is being compromised by the flat
battery.

In the case of the Dallas, it is a separate subsystem, and has a
byte wide parallel bus connected to some other component on the
motherboard. It doesn't get its fingers into any power management
logic. Depending on whether the outputs are failsafe or not,
I suppose it could clamp the bus it's on, to ground. But I don't even
know the name of the bus a thing like that sits on, in an older
PC architecture. (Would they put that on the ISA bus ?)

Paul

KHL

Paul <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:gukgev$tt5$(E-Mail Removed)...
> [...]

> "well". Everything in the well is supposed to be isolated
> with transmission gates, so there shouldn't be phantom current
> flow and the like. And yet, there are persistent reports, that
> on some motherboards, a flat battery prevents booting. And that
> suggests that other portions of the Southbridge, or perhaps
> some power management logic, is being compromised by the flat
> battery.
>
> In the case of the Dallas, it is a separate subsystem, and has a
> byte wide parallel bus connected to some other component on the
> motherboard. It doesn't get its fingers into any power management
> logic. Depending on whether the outputs are failsafe or not,
> I suppose it could clamp the bus it's on, to ground. But I don't even
> know the name of the bus a thing like that sits on, in an older
> PC architecture. (Would they put that on the ISA bus ?)

Paul,
My reasoning all started from my HP 6653C , the battery died,
nothing ,no boot. Changed the battery, ran a scan disk, OK....

Your last description of the boot process complements other
explanations I've read, that made me aware for differing/
variations in the bios/boot sequence. Traced many runs on the Pcb
the +5V pin 24 connection goes right to the Pwr Sup +5.
The description of operation specks of biasing at Pwr down,
dropping below 4.25V and then to 3V, my thoughts were
to a DELAY at Pwr up if the battery was dead.
That is why I ask and research the "NO VIDEO" at boot,
the fans spin up, HDD winds up, this is more than the
HP did when its battery died.
The HP is from 2000, many changes in 4years..

At present collecting tools and thoughts to remove the top
of the RTC. It is positioned between the ISA and PCI slots,
next to the bios and a few jumpers on both sides. Like it's
being protected from hands such as mine.
WITH CARE, will be the theme...

A thought, if I added INTEVA to my original post, possible a tech
with "hands on" might respond, they had a shop/show room 5 miles
from me years ago.(Pipersville Pa)...

Thank Again, Ken

Paul

KHL wrote:

> Paul,
> My reasoning all started from my HP 6653C , the battery died,
> nothing ,no boot. Changed the battery, ran a scan disk, OK....
>
> Your last description of the boot process complements other
> explanations I've read, that made me aware for differing/
> variations in the bios/boot sequence. Traced many runs on the Pcb
> the +5V pin 24 connection goes right to the Pwr Sup +5.
> The description of operation specks of biasing at Pwr down,
> dropping below 4.25V and then to 3V, my thoughts were
> to a DELAY at Pwr up if the battery was dead.
> That is why I ask and research the "NO VIDEO" at boot,
> the fans spin up, HDD winds up, this is more than the
> HP did when its battery died.
> The HP is from 2000, many changes in 4years..
>
> At present collecting tools and thoughts to remove the top
> of the RTC. It is positioned between the ISA and PCI slots,
> next to the bios and a few jumpers on both sides. Like it's
> being protected from hands such as mine.
> WITH CARE, will be the theme...
>
> A thought, if I added INTEVA to my original post, possible a tech
> with "hands on" might respond, they had a shop/show room 5 miles
> from me years ago.(Pipersville Pa)...
>
> Thank Again, Ken

You can see some examples on this page. The description here is
for a different chip. Maybe check with a multimeter, and see what
voltage is present between pin 16 and pin 20 ? The thing is, the
Dallas data aheet may list the pins as "NC" for no connect, but
it would make sense if the battery voltage could be monitored
externally. (The other question would be, what is the valid
battery voltage. Is the internal cell a 3V type ?)

http://www.mcamafia.de/mcapage0/dsrework.htm

This is the kind of Dremel work I've seen depicted years
ago. This is more or less exploratory surgery, to see what
is inside.

http://www.mcamafia.de/mcapage0/jpg/ds1287_test.jpg

Paul

KHL

Finally got the right tools (mini dremel and regular size)
the circuit inside the case/cover is back filled with epoxy,

I spent 30yrs in microelectronics, and remember well doing
just that. Actually the epoxy might be Emerson Cummings 2850,
this material is like a rock after it's cured,

Next step, remove the IC, order a new one with socket.
Wonder if I can still solder without a microscope?
At this point it is strictly a hobby/game/exercise,
would never make any money at this rate.

Should you hear of another with an ODIN RTC,
mention to him the careful dremel surgery is not an option..

Again thanks for the effort and info, I'll post when
I complete the project, hopefully with success.
Ken

news:4a104ca4$0$2699$(E-Mail Removed)...