Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > DVD Video > Was It A Violation of Antitrust Laws To Kill the Divx Format?

Was It A Violation of Antitrust Laws To Kill the Divx Format?

Matt Casey

Was it a violation of antitrust laws to kill the Divx format? If
I remember the antitrust laws correctly, there has to be competition
in the marketplace. Was it a violation of antitrust laws for Divx to
be killed by DVD? I think if Divx were revived or was launched now
instead of in the late 1990s, I believe the Obama administration would
force Divx to remain in production to compete with DVD. This is just
curiosity and an observation. I don't want Divx revived, I don't
support Divx or other pay-to-use media, and I didn't support Divx when
it was around.

Richard Cranium

On Thu, 14 May 2009 10:55:21 -0700 (PDT), Matt Casey
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>..., there has to be competition in the marketplace.

No options now, there HAS TO BE competition! Perhaps the government
should file suit against all of those companies that did not choose to
compete? That could include virtually all of the high-tech firms,
plus all of the major supermarket chains. Only the porn industry
could possibly elude prosecution.

Richard C.

news:(E-Mail Removed)...

What a crock of ****!