Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Wireless Networking > Cell Modem on Wireless network

Cell Modem on Wireless network

JAY

Hi

I have a Netopia DSL Modem/Wireless router which is working fine - it
provides broadband for two PC machines and my laptop all running Windows XP
Home SP3 and all three computers are networked through the router.

But I just bought a USB Stick Modem from Vodafone and I my plan is to close
my expensive account with the landline phone company (I only have the land
line because I need it for the Broadband ADSL connection).

My plan is to slip the USB modem it a slot on a PC in my upstairs office and
share that internet connection (via the Netopia wireless router newtork).
Naturally the DSL connection on that modem will be unplugged.

Problem is I tried all this. Disconnected DSL, put Cell modem in USB port as
planned (that machine got excellent 3G+ broadband connection). Set that
machine to share the internet connection and I JUST CANNOT GET IT TO WORK.
The PC with the so-called shared connection works fine but I cannot get any
other machine to connected to the Internet via that one. I have read loads of
Microsoft documentation from the website and did all they suggest to no avail.

I would really appreciate any help preferably from someone who has actually
done this themselves successfully.

Thanks a lot.

Jay.

Donald

Maybe you can try to use a crossover cable to connect the two PCs together
or use a hub or switch instead of your router. I guess there are some
settings on your router which may have blocked the connection through your
gateway PC. There is a way for you to connect to the router by opening a web
page on one of your PC and change the settings there. You can check the
manual of your router and see how that works. When you are using DSL, some
settings about PPPoe protocol may be there. You will need to clear that. It
is better to use static IP address for every PC other than the gateway PC
which may be assigned an IP address from the ISP of your current ISP. Which
Operating System are you using on the gateway PC with the modem?

news:(E-Mail Removed)...