Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > VHDL > Lazy man's testbench

Lazy man's testbench

Kenneth Brun Nielsen

A testbench, that reads input levels from columns in an input file,
and writes outputs to another file, must be a widely used block(?).

Does any of you have (a link to) a template I can use? Or do I have to
spend the entire day coding one?

Best regards,
Kenneth

Mike Treseler

Kenneth Brun Nielsen wrote:
> A testbench, that reads input levels from columns in an input file,
> and writes outputs to another file, must be a widely used block(?).

If I already have a device model,
and an appropriate testbench, I could collect
such files from my simulator.
Writing the model and testbench is the problem,
and there is no generic solution.

Unless I am feeding a device tester,
I have no need of such "test vector" files.
If you do, google a bit:
http://www.actel.com/documents/TestVector_AN.pdf

> Do any of you have (a link to) a template I can use? Or do I have to
> spend the entire day coding one?

It might take more than a day.

-- Mike Treseler

Kenneth Brun Nielsen

On 14 Maj, 19:39, Mike Treseler <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Kenneth Brun Nielsen wrote:
> > A testbench, that reads input levels from columns in an input file,
> > and writes outputs to another file, must be a widely used block(?).

> If I already have a device model,
> and an appropriate testbench, I could collect
> such files from my simulator.
> Writing the model and testbench is the problem,
> and there is no generic solution.
>
> Unless I am feeding a device tester,
> I have no need of such "test vector" files.
> If you do, google a bit:http://www.actel.com/documents/TestVector_AN.pdf

Thanks. I'm actually using this for device test vector generation, so
the link is highly relevant.

Best regards,
Kenneth