Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computer Certification > MCSE > Strange keyboard problem

Strange keyboard problem

Chris White

Hi all

I have 3 machines connected together with a KVM switch. This morning on two
of them I could not type as if I type QWERTY it comes out as
^Q^W^E^R^T^Y....

Then I removed the faulty machines from the KVM, and connected another set
of keyboard and mouse to it directly but still same problem!! it is as if
something in the software of these machines had been affected....

Mouse however works well, but keyboard is working erratically!

Can someone suggest something?

Thanks

JohnB

I would suspect the KVM if:

- you tried more than one PC on the faulty KVM port
- you've tried more than one mouse/keyboard combination on the faulty KVM
port
- a PC works fine off the KVM, but does not work fine on the faulty KVM port

> Can someone suggest something?

Try a different KVM

"Chris White" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> Hi all
>
> I have 3 machines connected together with a KVM switch. This morning on
> two of them I could not type as if I type QWERTY it comes out as
> ^Q^W^E^R^T^Y....
>
> Then I removed the faulty machines from the KVM, and connected another set
> of keyboard and mouse to it directly but still same problem!! it is as if
> something in the software of these machines had been affected....
>
> Mouse however works well, but keyboard is working erratically!
>
> Can someone suggest something?
>
> Thanks

FrisbeeŽ

Chris White wrote:
> Hi all
>
> I have 3 machines connected together with a KVM switch. This morning
> on two of them I could not type as if I type QWERTY it comes out as
> ^Q^W^E^R^T^Y....
>
> Then I removed the faulty machines from the KVM, and connected
> another set of keyboard and mouse to it directly but still same
> problem!! it is as if something in the software of these machines had
> been affected....
> Mouse however works well, but keyboard is working erratically!
>
> Can someone suggest something?
>
> Thanks

Stop holding down the ctrl and shift keys.

Jtyc

> Stop holding down the ctrl and shift keys.

I can't type at all holding those down. I don't think that that was his
problem.

FrisbeeŽ

Jtyc wrote:
>> Stop holding down the ctrl and shift keys.

> I can't type at all holding those down. I don't think that that was
> his problem.

Well, try capslock.

Chris White

The problem is that now I cannot type! I changed keyboard and nothing is
happening...

I also connected a USB keyboard but nothing is coming up! the
caps-num-scroll LEDs wont even light up...

and the machine is a 24x7 server and I cannot turn it offf..

is there a way how I could connect to the DOS CLI of this server remotely??
this way at least I would be able to shut some services to minimize data
corruption when I will have to force reset the machine

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Jtyc wrote:
>>> Stop holding down the ctrl and shift keys.

>> I can't type at all holding those down. I don't think that that was
>> his problem.

> Well, try capslock.

JohnB

Did you try Remote Desktop to get in?

"Chris White" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> is there a way how I could connect to the DOS CLI of this server
> remotely?? this way at least I would be able to shut some services to
> minimize data corruption when I will have to force reset the machine

Jtyc

> Well, try capslock.

WELL... IT SEEMS TO TYPE OK BUT I THINK THIS IS POOR NEWSGROUP ETIQUETTE
ISN'T IT?

WAIT... WHAT WAS I TRYING TO PROVE AGAIN?

Kline Sphere

best nuke pakistan just to be sure it's nothing to do with them, after
all, you never know....

On Fri, 15 May 2009 09:28:19 +0200, "Chris White" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>The problem is that now I cannot type! I changed keyboard and nothing is
>happening...
>
>I also connected a USB keyboard but nothing is coming up! the
>caps-num-scroll LEDs wont even light up...
>
>and the machine is a 24x7 server and I cannot turn it offf..
>
>is there a way how I could connect to the DOS CLI of this server remotely??
>this way at least I would be able to shut some services to minimize data
>corruption when I will have to force reset the machine
>

>"FrisbeeŽ" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>>

>>> I can't type at all holding those down. I don't think that that was
>>> his problem.

>> Well, try capslock.

Kline Sphere (Chalk) MCNGP #3