Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Windows 64bit > OT Somewhat - File renaming

OT Somewhat - File renaming

Bob AZ

I need to rename several hundred files. mUsing XP

Example follows:

As in changing "Canon5D51-125 to Canon5D54-125"

I have Googled but the confusion is overwhelming. I have tried the
Microsoft site but their suggestion does not result in what I would
like to do.

I need some direction.

Thanks
Bob AZ

Robert McMillan

I am not entirely sure what sort of file renaming you are trying to do, but
I use Bulk Rename Utility http://www.bulkrenameutility.co.uk/Main_Intro.php
for any renaming I do.
As a bonus to keep this on topic with the newsgroup it comes as a native
64bit or 32bit application.

HTH
Robert

"Bob AZ" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>I need to rename several hundred files. mUsing XP
>
> Example follows:
>
> As in changing "Canon5D51-125 to Canon5D54-125"
>
> I have Googled but the confusion is overwhelming. I have tried the
> Microsoft site but their suggestion does not result in what I would
> like to do.
>
> I need some direction.
>
> Thanks
> Bob AZ

Bob AZ

On May 13, 4:05�pm, "Robert McMillan" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> I am not entirely sure what sort of file renaming you are trying to do, but
> I use Bulk Rename Utilityhttp://www.bulkrenameutility.co.uk/Main_Intro.php
> for any renaming I do.
> As a bonus to keep this on topic with the newsgroup it comes as a native
> 64bit or 32bit application.
>
> HTH
> Robert

Robert

I do lots of photography. Sometimes the files are too many for a CD
and I download them from my camera to a temporary file. Then I split
the files putting them in different folders. This last time was 4
different folders. Then I need to rename the files to correspond with
the folder names.

As in following example:

As in changing "Canon5D51-125 to Canon5D54-125."

I can do it the hardway but not enough time in the day. Thus the
request for a file renaming itility.

I have downloaded thew suggested file and will install it on my
"photography" computer and go from there.

I do make a CD of all photos.

Thank you for your prompt response.

Bob AZ

Bob AZ

On May 13, 4:05�pm, "Robert McMillan" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> I am not entirely sure what sort of file renaming you are trying to do, but
> I use Bulk Rename Utilityhttp://www.bulkrenameutility.co.uk/Main_Intro.php
> for any renaming I do.
> As a bonus to keep this on topic with the newsgroup it comes as a native
> 64bit or 32bit application.
>
> HTH
> Robert

Robert et al

Surprise, to me at least, the program worked for my needs right now.
I changed several hundred files I needed to this evening. More
tomorrow.

Thanks again
Bob AZ

Charlie Russel - MVP

Bob --
At least simple renaming is fairly trivial, using CMD.

C:\Temp > ren Canon5D51-???.jpg Canon5D54-???.jpg

Will change the single character while preserving the numbering sequence.
This will continue to work as long as the basic change is this simple, which
it often is. Doing this in PowerShell is actually a good deal harder, but
once you've done it there, it's actually a good deal more flexible. There,
you'll create a for loop using a regex and loop through the list of files,
changing whatever part you want.

--
Charlie.
http://msmvps.com/blogs/xperts64