Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Poor, poor P&S owner learns too late...

Poor, poor P&S owner learns too late...

Bob Larter

John Navas wrote:
> On Tue, 09 Jun 2009 11:03:31 +1000, Bob Larter <(E-Mail Removed)>
> wrote in <4a2db4e6$(E-Mail Removed)>:
>
>> Greg Amstead wrote:

>>> That's something that I'll never understand.

>> What a shock.
>>
>> Can we expect to see any of your amazing P&S shots any time soon?

> Been there; done that. Please keep up.

The one time I saw him post a link, the image had been removed.

Bob Larter

Caught Another Moron DSLR-TROLL - YEE HA! wrote:
> On Tue, 9 Jun 2009 18:11:07 +0100, "Deep Reset" <(E-Mail Removed)>
> wrote:
>
>> "Greg Amstead" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...

>>> That's something that I'll never understand. Why people would pay more for
>>> compromised photography gear that prevents them from getting 70% of their
>>> shots because they're busy swapping lenses, can't use fill-flash outdoors

>> Of course, those of who plan our shoots can enjoy our DSLRs' big, juicy
>> photosites that are virtual photon-magnets, don't need over-amplifying,

> ****, the idiot doesn't even real[*SLAP!*]

Fred

"Deep Reset" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> Yes, DSLRs have their drawbacks - dirt on the sensor is one of them.
> I don't pretend that that they're perfect.
> But for versatility, nothing touches them.
> Seriously, hand-on-heart, can you say that a P&S doesn't give you grief
> when it comes to shutter lag?

Only versatile when you conciously take all that camera gear out for a photo
shoot. Not very versatile when you don't have the camera with you because
it's too big and bulky. I'd have missed out on thousands of photo
opportunities if I only had DSLR gear. DLSRs have their place, but only for
pre-planned photo trips/sessions, not for spontaneous photo taking.

nospam

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, John Navas
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> >> To the contrary, arguably the most rugged and durable mount of any SLR
> >> system, but expensive and a bit less convenient for casual users.

> >uh, no. canon tried to further the fd mount and quickly realized it
> >needed a complete overhaul. the mechanics of the fd mount made it very
> >difficult to extend its functionality for autofocus and other features.
> >there was also no wiping action to help keep electronic contacts clean.
> >they also took the opportunity for changing the mount to woo nikon
> >users. it worked out very well.

> On the contrary, the breech lock mount was excellent, and original FD
> glass is still highly prized. The problem came from the "new FD"
> bayonet kludge meant to placate casual users, and orphaning the FD mount
> very nearly cost Canon the pro market, forcing it to nearly give away
> high end lenses for quite a few years.

it has nothing at all to do with the new fd mount. stated very simply,
the fd mount limited canon's future. they tried to update it and ended
up with a kludge. they *had* to overhaul it to remain competitive,
unlike minolta who changed mounts for no apparent reason. and as i
said, it gave canon an opportunity to woo nikon users by allowing nikon
lenses to work on a canon body (complicating the ef mount) and taking
the pro market from nikon. it was a very smart move.

John Navas

On Wed, 10 Jun 2009 11:09:53 -0400, nospam <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote
in <100620091109532326%(E-Mail Removed)>:

>> >uh, no. canon tried to further the fd mount and quickly realized it
>> >needed a complete overhaul. the mechanics of the fd mount made it very
>> >difficult to extend its functionality for autofocus and other features.
>> >there was also no wiping action to help keep electronic contacts clean.
>> >they also took the opportunity for changing the mount to woo nikon
>> >users. it worked out very well.

>> On the contrary, the breech lock mount was excellent, and original FD
>> glass is still highly prized. The problem came from the "new FD"
>> bayonet kludge meant to placate casual users, and orphaning the FD mount
>> very nearly cost Canon the pro market, forcing it to nearly give away
>> high end lenses for quite a few years.

>it has nothing at all to do with the new fd mount. stated very simply,
>the fd mount limited canon's future. they tried to update it and ended
>up with a kludge. they *had* to overhaul it to remain competitive,
>unlike minolta who changed mounts for no apparent reason.

We'll just have to agree to disagree.

>and as i
>said, it gave canon an opportunity to woo nikon users by allowing nikon
>lenses to work on a canon body (complicating the ef mount) and taking
>the pro market from nikon. it was a very smart move.

Simply not true.

--
Best regards,
John <http:/navasgroup.com>

"Usenet is like a herd of performing elephants with diarrhea - massive,
difficult to redirect, awe inspiring, entertaining, and a source of mind
boggling amounts of excrement when you least expect it." --Gene Spafford

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> >and as i
> >said, it gave canon an opportunity to woo nikon users by allowing nikon
> >lenses to work on a canon body (complicating the ef mount) and taking
> >the pro market from nikon. it was a very smart move.

> Simply not true.

it's exactly true.

Bob Larter

Fred wrote:
> "Deep Reset" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Yes, DSLRs have their drawbacks - dirt on the sensor is one of them.
>> I don't pretend that that they're perfect.
>> But for versatility, nothing touches them.
>> Seriously, hand-on-heart, can you say that a P&S doesn't give you grief
>> when it comes to shutter lag?
>>

> Only versatile when you conciously take all that camera gear out for a photo
> shoot. Not very versatile when you don't have the camera with you because
> it's too big and bulky. I'd have missed out on thousands of photo
> opportunities if I only had DSLR gear. DLSRs have their place, but only for
> pre-planned photo trips/sessions, not for spontaneous photo taking.

The ideal solution is to have both.