Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Poor, poor P&S owner learns too late...

Poor, poor P&S owner learns too late...

Ray Fischer

Bob Williams <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>Ray Fischer wrote:
>> Bob Williams <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>>> OMG!!
>>> What do you use such a system for? Astronomical photography?

>> Well, yes. It's a 10" Schmidt-Cassegrain telescope. 2450mm f10.
>>
>>> Is that a typo or is there really a 15,000 mm f 1 lens somewhere?

>> Not f1. f.l. Focal length. And with eyepeice projection it does
>> indeed go up to around 15,000mm, although once you get up into that
>> range it's more common to refer to it as 300x magnification.
>>
>>> It's got to be a mirror, right? How about a reference and some details.

>> It's a Meade 10" telescope.

>AH!
>Not exactly a P/S but it must be fun to work with.

That's the point. It's not a P&S.

>I have a Meade 4" but use it mainly for viewing rather than photography.

Photography is _really_ hard. Or expensive. Or both. For me it's
just hard which is why I usually do just viewing. For it to be easier
I'd have to spend another $2000 for a wedge, a focuser, and an
automatic tracker.

--
Ray Fischer

Bob Williams

Doug Jewell wrote:
> Bob Williams wrote:
>> Chris Malcolm wrote:

>>> You don't need to fiddle with extenders of questionable optical
>>> quality when you can buy high quality 2000mm and much bigger lenses.

>> Surely, you jest!
>> A 2000 mm lens (actually mirror optics)will cost you about $8,800 USD.
>> See;
>> http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...y=11&Go=submit
>>
>> Also note that the carrying case is called a TRUNK and will set you back
>> another $669.
>> Bob Williams.

> That's true. But with an SLR you have the choice - you can use one of
> those questionable extenders if you want cheap but questionable image
> quality. Or you can use a real 2000mm lens if you want to part with a
> lot of cash but get very good image quality.
> People keep talking about those cheap tele/wide adaptors with their
> small size & cost as one of the advantages of P&S over SLR, but forget
> that the adaptors can be used on SLR also - with exactly the same
> advantages/disadvantages.
> The key feature of SLR is that you have choice - you have the choice of
> an expensive, heavy, but good quality lens. Or you can choose cheap,
> light, and questionable quality, or a couple of other points in between
> (eg convertors that go between the lens and the body).

All True!
In life, there is always a trade off involved in every decision we make.
To quote the famous bard, "To be or not to be. That is the question."
To go DSLR or to go Ultra Zoom , or to go P/S.....That is the question.
Bob

John Navas

On Sat, 16 May 2009 23:21:28 -0700, Bob Williams <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote in <G1OPl.63294$(E-Mail Removed)>:

>Doug Jewell wrote:

>> The key feature of SLR is that you have choice - you have the choice of
>> an expensive, heavy, but good quality lens. Or you can choose cheap,
>> light, and questionable quality, or a couple of other points in between
>> (eg convertors that go between the lens and the body).

The key feature of super-zoom bridge camera is that you don't need to
make a choice -- you always have a relatively inexpensive, light and
compact, excellent quality lens.

>All True!
>In life, there is always a trade off involved in every decision we make.
>To quote the famous bard, "To be or not to be. That is the question."
>To go DSLR or to go Ultra Zoom , or to go P/S.....That is the question.

Not really a question for the majority of people given the handling
advantages of a super-zoom with little or no difference in image
quality.

--
Best regards,
John

House of Frauds

On May 22, 3:39*am, John Navas <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> On Sat, 16 May 2009 23:21:28 -0700, Bob Williams <(E-Mail Removed)>
> wrote in <G1OPl.63294$(E-Mail Removed)>:
>
> >Doug Jewell wrote:
> >> The key feature of SLR is that you have choice - you have the choice of
> >> an expensive, heavy, but good quality lens. Or you can choose cheap,
> >> light, and questionable quality, or a couple of other points in between
> >> (eg convertors that go between the lens and the body).

> The key feature of super-zoom bridge camera is that you don't need to
> make a choice -- you always have a relatively inexpensive, light and
> compact, excellent quality lens.
>
> >All True!
> >In life, there is always a trade off involved in every decision we make.
> >To quote the famous bard, "To be or not to be. That is the question."
> >To go DSLR or to go Ultra Zoom , or to go P/S.....That is the question.

> Not really a question for the majority of people given the handling
> advantages of a super-zoom with little or no difference in image
> quality.
>
> --
> Best regards,
> John
> Panasonic DMC-FZ28 (and several others)

why did u chose the Panasonic over Olympus ?

David J Taylor

John Navas wrote:
[]
> The key feature of super-zoom bridge camera is that you don't need to
> make a choice -- you always have a relatively inexpensive, light and
> compact, excellent quality lens.

Jack of all trades - excels at none. But it may be good enough, depending
on the users' criteria.

David

House of Frauds

On May 22, 8:38*am, "David J Taylor" <(E-Mail Removed)-this-
part.nor-this.co.uk.invalid> wrote:
> John Navas wrote:
>
> []
>
> > The key feature of super-zoom bridge camera is that you don't need to
> > make a choice -- you always have a relatively inexpensive, light and
> > compact, excellent quality lens.

> Jack of all trades - excels at none. *But it may be good enough, depending
> on the users' criteria.
>
> David

more important is an 'eye' for a photo

JimW

After readling all the rants and raves here, I have decided on the Nikon P90
The best of both worlds.
JimW

" need to
>> make a choice -- you always have a relatively inexpensive, light and
>> compact, excellent quality lens.

> Jack of all trades - excels at none. But it may be good enough, depending
> on the users' criteria.
>
> David

David J Taylor

JimW wrote:
> After readling all the rants and raves here, I have decided on the
> Nikon P90 The best of both worlds.
> JimW

I've had and used several Nikon "P&S" cameras, and in general been very
pleased with them, although my most recent P&S camera was the very compact
Panasonic TZ3. Do let us know how you get on with the P90.

David

John Navas

On Thu, 21 May 2009 23:34:13 -0700 (PDT), House of Frauds
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
<(E-Mail Removed)>:

>On May 22, 3:39*am, John Navas <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>> Panasonic DMC-FZ28 (and several others)

>why did u chose the Panasonic over Olympus ?

Better lens
Better handling
Better image quality

--
Best regards,
John
Panasonic DMC-FZ28 (and several others)

John Navas

On Fri, 22 May 2009 06:38:56 GMT, "David J Taylor"
<(E-Mail Removed)-this-part.nor-this.co.uk.invalid> wrote in
<4MrRl.32187$(E-Mail Removed) >:

>John Navas wrote:
>[]
>> The key feature of super-zoom bridge camera is that you don't need to
>> make a choice -- you always have a relatively inexpensive, light and
>> compact, excellent quality lens.

>Jack of all trades - excels at none. But it may be good enough, depending
>on the users' criteria.

Actually excels at most trades, and
more than good enough for almost all purposes.

--
Best regards,
John <http:/navasgroup.com>

"Keep away from people who try to belittle your ambitions. Small people always do that,
but the really great make you feel that you, too, can become great." -Mark Twain