Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > HTML > seek advice for Ajax menu html script and include

seek advice for Ajax menu html script and include

Alex Fillmore

We want to design a web site with simple Ajax drop down menu. Is there
simple script sample I can use as template?
We wish to have one single html menu file for all the other pages to use as
menu. Is server side Include the only method? How can we find out our host
machine can handle this server side Include? Thank you.

Adrienne Boswell

Gazing into my crystal ball I observed "Alex Fillmore"
<(E-Mail Removed)> writing in
news:fkDOl.16171$(E-Mail Removed):

> We want to design a web site with simple Ajax drop down menu. Is there
> simple script sample I can use as template?
> We wish to have one single html menu file for all the other pages to
> use as menu. Is server side Include the only method? How can we find
> out our host machine can handle this server side Include? Thank you.

You do not want to use Ajax in this instance because Ajax depends on the
availability of javascript on the client's machine. Menus need to be
accessible to everyone, including robots and spiders who do not have
javascript. A server side include is what you are looking for, depending
on what language your host provides (PHP, ASP, etc).

Also, be careful of drop down menus. These can be a real accessibility
nightmare. See other discussions in this group,
comp.infosystems.www.authoring.html or
comp.infosystems.www.authoring.stylesheets. The recent discussions in
all these groups that are worth looking into.

--
Adrienne Boswell at Home
Arbpen Web Site Design Services

Alex Fillmore

"Adrienne Boswell" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:Xns9C0A700597535arbpenyahoocom@207.115.17.102 ...

> You do not want to use Ajax in this instance because Ajax depends on the
> availability of javascript on the client's machine. Menus need to be
> accessible to everyone, including robots and spiders who do not have
> javascript. A server side include is what you are looking for, depending
> on what language your host provides (PHP, ASP, etc).
>
> Also, be careful of drop down menus. These can be a real accessibility
> nightmare. See other discussions in this group,
> comp.infosystems.www.authoring.html or
> comp.infosystems.www.authoring.stylesheets. The recent discussions in
> all these groups that are worth looking into.
>

> --
> Adrienne Boswell at Home
> Arbpen Web Site Design Services
> http://www.cavalcade-of-coding.info

Thank you Adrienne, thank you for your advice.
Can you please tell me what is a simpliest horizonal menu bar, with drop
down sub-menu, similar to Ajax type of menu script?
I wish to write the entire menu bar in one html program (with all the
necessary scripts) and then, picked up by each web pages (such as using
server side include).
The web site host is Plesk 8.3. I can log into my web site control panel.
How can I find out what language my host provides?

Adrienne Boswell

Gazing into my crystal ball I observed "Alex Fillmore"
<(E-Mail Removed)> writing in
news:wm2Pl.30049$(E-Mail Removed):

> "Adrienne Boswell" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:Xns9C0A700597535arbpenyahoocom@207.115.17.102 ...
>>
>> You do not want to use Ajax in this instance because Ajax depends on
>> the availability of javascript on the client's machine. Menus need to
>> be accessible to everyone, including robots and spiders who do not
>> have javascript. A server side include is what you are looking for,
>> depending on what language your host provides (PHP, ASP, etc).
>>
>> Also, be careful of drop down menus. These can be a real
>> accessibility nightmare. See other discussions in this group,
>> comp.infosystems.www.authoring.html or
>> comp.infosystems.www.authoring.stylesheets. The recent discussions
>> in all these groups that are worth looking into.
>>

>> --
>> Adrienne Boswell at Home
>> Arbpen Web Site Design Services
>> http://www.cavalcade-of-coding.info
>> Please respond to the group so others can share
>>

> Thank you Adrienne, thank you for your advice.
> Can you please tell me what is a simpliest horizonal menu bar, with
> drop down sub-menu, similar to Ajax type of menu script?
> I wish to write the entire menu bar in one html program (with all the
> necessary scripts) and then, picked up by each web pages (such as
> using server side include).
> The web site host is Plesk 8.3. I can log into my web site control
> panel. How can I find out what language my host provides?

If you have Plesk, you probably have PHP and you might have ASP classic,
or ASP.net.

You will want some sort of include, eg:

<?php include "nav_inc.php";?>

or you could do something like:

<?php include "linkrel_inc.php"; ?>
</head>
<?php include "header_inc.php"; ?>
<?php include "footer_inc.php"; ?>

where linkrel_inc.php contains the doc type, title element, meta
elements, stylesheet link, favicon link, etc.

where header_inc.php contains something like:
Bla
<?php include "nav_inc.php"; ?>

and footer_inc.php contains something like:

Copyright info, etc.
<?php //close any db connections ?>

As far as menus, there are plenty of CSS based menus out there that are
pretty easy to maintain, and accessible.

--
Adrienne Boswell at Home
Arbpen Web Site Design Services
http://www.cavalcade-of-coding.info

David Mark

On May 15, 10:52*am, Adrienne Boswell <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Gazing into my crystal ball I observed "Alex Fillmore"
> <(E-Mail Removed)> writing innews:wm2Pl.30049$(E-Mail Removed):
>

> > "Adrienne Boswell" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> >news:Xns9C0A700597535arbpenyahoocom@207.115.17.10 2...

> >> You do not want to use Ajax in this instance because Ajax depends on
> >> the availability of javascript on the client's machine. Menus need to
> >> be accessible to everyone, including robots and spiders who do not
> >> have javascript. *A server side include is what you are looking for,
> >> depending on what language your host provides (PHP, ASP, etc).

> >> Also, be careful of drop down menus. *These can be a real
> >> accessibility nightmare. *See other discussions in this group,
> >> comp.infosystems.www.authoring.htmlor
> >> comp.infosystems.www.authoring.stylesheets. *The recent discussions
> >> in all these groups that are worth looking into.

> >> --
> >> Adrienne Boswell at Home
> >> Arbpen Web Site Design Services
> >>http://www.cavalcade-of-coding.info
> >> Please respond to the group so others can share

> > Thank you Adrienne, thank you for your advice.
> > Can you please tell me what is a simpliest horizonal menu bar, with
> > drop down sub-menu, similar to Ajax type of menu script?
> > I wish to write the entire menu bar in one html program (with all the
> > necessary scripts) and then, picked up by each web pages (such as
> > using server side include).
> > The web site host is Plesk 8.3. I can log into my web site control
> > panel. How can I find out what language my host provides?

> If you have Plesk, you probably have PHP and you might have ASP classic,
> or ASP.net. *
>
> You will want some sort of include, eg:

> <?php include "nav_inc.php";?>
>
> or you could do something like:
>
> <?php include "linkrel_inc.php"; ?>
> </head>
> <?php include "header_inc.php"; ?>
> <?php include "footer_inc.php"; ?>
>
> where linkrel_inc.php contains the doc type, title element, meta
> elements, stylesheet link, favicon link, etc.
>
> where header_inc.php contains something like:
> Bla
> <?php include "nav_inc.php"; ?>
>
> and footer_inc.php contains something like:

> Copyright info, etc.
> <?php //close any db connections ?>
>
> As far as menus, there are plenty of CSS based menus out there that are
> pretty easy to maintain, and accessible. *

Well, accessible in that they degrade to a single link for keyboard
users. Best advice is to skip drop-down menus for navigation. What a
backwards idea that was (sure a Web developer thought of it.)

Alex Fillmore

"David Mark" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>Well, accessible in that they degrade to a single link for keyboard
>users. Best advice is to skip drop-down menus for navigation. What a
>backwards idea that was (sure a Web developer thought of it.)

David, I do not understand what you mean? Is there better choice and simply
than horizontal CCS menu, by mouse click, without keyboard stroke?

Jonathan N. Little

David Mark wrote:
> On May 15, 10:52 am, Adrienne Boswell <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>> As far as menus, there are plenty of CSS based menus out there that are
>> pretty easy to maintain, and accessible.
>>

> Well, accessible in that they degrade to a single link for keyboard
> users.

How so? If they are constructed from a list UL or even some generic
containers with text-only will be a list of separate links. It won't
"weld" all the links together...

> Best advice is to skip drop-down menus for navigation. What a
> backwards idea that was (sure a Web developer thought of it.)

No, actually desktop UI designers used it before the web... I does
conserve visual real estate but it can have usability issues.

--
Take care,

Jonathan
-------------------
LITTLE WORKS STUDIO
http://www.LittleWorksStudio.com

David Mark

On May 15, 6:24*pm, "Jonathan N. Little" <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:
> David Mark wrote:
> > On May 15, 10:52 am, Adrienne Boswell <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> >> As far as menus, there are plenty of CSS based menus out there that are
> >> pretty easy to maintain, and accessible. *

> > Well, accessible in that they degrade to a single link for keyboard
> > users. *

> How so? If they are constructed from a list UL or even some generic
> containers with text-only will be a list of separate links. It won't
> "weld" all the links together...

You misunderstand me. Try using a CSS menu without a mouse.

> > Best advice is to skip drop-down menus for navigation. *What a
> > backwards idea that was (sure a Web developer thought of it.) *

> No, actually desktop UI designers used it before the web... I does
> conserve visual real estate but it can have usability issues.

Bad desktop UI's (e.g. VB applications) did all sorts of things in the
bad old days. Nevertheless, navigation *must* show you at a glance:

1. Where you are
2. Where you've been
3. Where you can go from here

CSS menus are (at best) 1 of 3 in that regard.

Navigation is best rendered as a tree, just as it is in most desktop
operating systems.

Alex Fillmore

"David Mark" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
bad old days. Nevertheless, navigation *must* show you at a glance:

1. Where you are
2. Where you've been
3. Where you can go from here

CSS menus are (at best) 1 of 3 in that regard.

Navigation is best rendered as a tree, just as it is in most desktop
operating systems.

David, thank you. Can you recommend simple basic good menu?
Any example we can take a look? Thank you.

Adrienne Boswell

Gazing into my crystal ball I observed "Alex Fillmore"
<(E-Mail Removed)> writing in news:qLpQl.15904$jZ1.6020
@flpi144.ffdc.sbc.com:

@x6g2000vbg.googlegroups.com...
> bad old days. Nevertheless, navigation *must* show you at a glance:
>
> 1. Where you are
> 2. Where you've been
> 3. Where you can go from here
>
> CSS menus are (at best) 1 of 3 in that regard.
>
> Navigation is best rendered as a tree, just as it is in most desktop
> operating systems.
>

> David, thank you. Can you recommend simple basic good menu?
> Any example we can take a look? Thank you.

CSS has nothing to do with content, it is presentational only.
1. Where you are - use a special class to distinguish a current link
2. Where you have been - this is has always been available, the visited
link
3. Where you can go from here - again, this depends on the content
provided by the author.

I often include a breadcrumb trail in addition to the main navigation. I
always include a site map, and a custom 404 page that has a link to both
the main navigation and the sitemap. If it is warranted, I also include
a search facility.