Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Information > Error messages in Windows

Error messages in Windows

Ragnar

When a program crashes you often get an error message that invites you to
submit details to Microsoft. I always click on 'Don't Send'.

Does it make any difference? Do you always Send? Is there a department at
Microsoft that deals with the millions of submissions? (I imagine hundreds
of pixies rather like Santa's elves). Has anyone ever had any feedback?

R.

Jeff Strickland

I never send.

"Ragnar" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:jkAOl.32793$(E-Mail Removed)2...
> When a program crashes you often get an error message that invites you to
> submit details to Microsoft. I always click on 'Don't Send'.
>
> Does it make any difference? Do you always Send? Is there a department at
> Microsoft that deals with the millions of submissions? (I imagine hundreds
> of pixies rather like Santa's elves). Has anyone ever had any feedback?
>
> R.

James D. Andrews

"Ragnar" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:jkAOl.32793$(E-Mail Removed)2...
> When a program crashes you often get an error message that invites you to
> submit details to Microsoft. I always click on 'Don't Send'.
>
> Does it make any difference? Do you always Send? Is there a department at
> Microsoft that deals with the millions of submissions? (I imagine hundreds
> of pixies rather like Santa's elves). Has anyone ever had any feedback?
>
> R.

On rare occasion, for unusual problems, I'll click Send. It brings up a
page that says what is supposedly the problem, if known - usually saying
it's not Microsoft's fault, it's something wrong with other software. Go
figure. Occasionally, the information is useful, most the time it's just
Blah blah blah. Don't bother for routine errors.

Woof

gnu / linux

On May 13, 3:00 pm, "James D. Andrews" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> "Ragnar" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>
> news:jkAOl.32793$(E-Mail Removed)2...
>
> > When a program crashes you often get an error message that invites you to
> > submit details to Microsoft. I always click on 'Don't Send'.

> > Does it make any difference? Do you always Send? Is there a department at
> > Microsoft that deals with the millions of submissions? (I imagine hundreds
> > of pixies rather like Santa's elves). Has anyone ever had any feedback?

> > R.

> On rare occasion, for unusual problems, I'll click Send. It brings up a
> page that says what is supposedly the problem, if known - usually saying
> it's not Microsoft's fault, it's something wrong with other software. Go
> figure. Occasionally, the information is useful, most the time it's just
> Blah blah blah. Don't bother for routine errors.
>
> Woof

help Microsoft out, send !

- Bobb -

"Ragnar" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:jkAOl.32793$(E-Mail Removed)2...
> When a program crashes you often get an error message that invites you to
> submit details to Microsoft. I always click on 'Don't Send'.
>
> Does it make any difference? Do you always Send? Is there a department at
> Microsoft that deals with the millions of submissions? (I imagine hundreds
> of pixies rather like Santa's elves). Has anyone ever had any feedback?
>
> R.

I read long ago ...
The info you send gets saved only to see if
' a lot of " this issue" is being reported '. Once an issue is flagged they
then have a lot of samples to pick through to see if anything in common. I
was also told that nothing they save is traced back to "you". However I
ALWAYS assume that msft is snooping, so my system is registered to
WmGates,
Organization is Microsoft .
If they want a name - they got one.