Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Re: Raw converters

Re: Raw converters

eNo

On May 12, 2:53*pm, "Stephen Drummonds" <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:
> *I am wanting to try the Raw format on my camera. *Can someone please tell
> me what raw conversion program that I need to start with? * Thanks for any
> suggestions
> Steve

The most faithful RAW converter will be that which comes from your
camera's manufacturer. Others will come close, but are usually
products of reverse-engineering of your camera's RAW format and will
invariably leave settings out of the mix. For example, I shoot Nikon,
so I use their free ViewNX. Adobe's Camera RAW (ACR) in combination
with Photoshop Elements 7 worked okay, but only brought in the White
Balance settings. Other settings, like the Picture mode/control in the
camera are ignored. True, you can always recover or set your own in
post-processing, but the closest interpreter to what your camera
actually captured still remains that which the manufacturer provides,
leaving a lot less room for guessing.

http://esfotoclix.com

Chris H

In message <(E-Mail Removed)
s.com>, eNo <(E-Mail Removed)> writes
>On May 12, 2:53*pm, "Stephen Drummonds" <(E-Mail Removed)>
>wrote:
>> *I am wanting to try the Raw format on my camera. *Can someone please tell
>> me what raw conversion program that I need to start with? * Thanks for any
>> suggestions
>> Steve

>The most faithful RAW converter will be that which comes from your
>camera's manufacturer. Others will come close, but are usually
>products of reverse-engineering of your camera's RAW format and will
>invariably leave settings out of the mix.

Not if it is a Nikon as their RAW software SDK is freely available.

1 Use the SW that came with the camera.

2 What is your Cameras and why do you want to shoot RAW?

eNo

On May 13, 6:09*am, Chris H <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> In message <(E-Mail Removed)
> s.com>, eNo <(E-Mail Removed)> writes
>
> >On May 12, 2:53*pm, "Stephen Drummonds" <(E-Mail Removed)>
> >wrote:
> >> *I am wanting to try the Raw format on my camera. *Can someone please tell
> >> me what raw conversion program that I need to start with? * Thanks for any
> >> suggestions
> >> Steve

> >The most faithful RAW converter will be that which comes from your
> >camera's manufacturer. Others will come close, but are usually
> >products of reverse-engineering of your camera's RAW format and will
> >invariably leave settings out of the mix.

> Not if it is a Nikon as their RAW software SDK is freely available.

And yet, somehow Adobe Camera RAW doesn't bring in Nikon's picture
control. Maybe it's because regardless of the SDK being out there,
Nikon is the one with the most motivation to ensure its camera's
features are exploited.

> 1 Use the SW that came with the camera.

Exactomundo.

eNo