Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Java > ANNOUNCE: libmsgque 3.1

ANNOUNCE: libmsgque 3.1

Andreas Otto

ANNOUNCE a major feature improvement of libmsgque ...

What is LibMsgque
=================

LibMsgque is an OS independent, Programming Language independent and
Hardware independent solution to link applications together to act like a
single application. Or with other words, LibMsgque is an Application-Server
toolkit.

Highlights of the current Release:
=================================

This release introduce a couple of highlights into the LibMsgque World
including the Python 3.01 support and a brand new Tcl/Java interface

As bonus an C/Tcl/Java/Python performance test was added using the
following conditions:

1. same basic native library -> libmsgque (written in C)
2. same user -> me
3. same performance management tool
4. same code workflow using the native language interface
to link libmsgque with a language specific service
handler
5. testing the following aspects:
a) application startup/shutdown performance
b) synchronous and asynchronous transaction performance
c) spawn, fork and thread process creation performance

-> results: http://libmsgque.sourceforge.net/performance.htm

Programmer-Visible-Changes:
===========================

Add Python 3.01 support
This is the next step to provide an OS and programming language
independent solution

New Tcl and Java Library binding
Now Tcl, Java and Python using the same function namespace
to improve the cross language code readability

C library improvement including better error checking support
Add more error-case checking

Add new test hardware, apple iBook (ppc) running Debian 5
Put my old iBook back to live

Re-Add big/little endian support
Now be able to test endianness

Improve 32Bit/64Bit support
Code Cleanup

Add new documentation
Entire new documentation and examples were added

The Web-Site was updated:
=========================

-> http://libmsgque.sourceforge.net

For a fast introduction use the following URL:

-> http://libmsgque.sourceforge.net/features.htm

mfg

Andreas Otto

Tom Anderson

On Tue, 12 May 2009, Andreas Otto wrote:

> What is LibMsgque
> =================
>
> LibMsgque is an OS independent, Programming Language independent and
> Hardware independent solution to link applications together to act like a
> single application. Or with other words, LibMsgque is an Application-Server
> toolkit.

So, did you find out about CORBA yet?

tom

--
The revolution will not be televised. The revolution will be live.

Lew

Andreas Otto wrote:
> ANNOUNCE a major feature improvement of libmsgque ...
>

> What is LibMsgque
> =================
>
> LibMsgque is an OS independent, Programming Language independent and

I think the "announce" newsgroups are the appropriate places for this type of
post.

--
Lew

Andreas Otto

Tom Anderson wrote:

> On Tue, 12 May 2009, Andreas Otto wrote:
>
>> What is LibMsgque
>> =================
>>
>> LibMsgque is an OS independent, Programming Language independent and
>> Hardware independent solution to link applications together to act like a
>> single application. Or with other words, LibMsgque is an
>> Application-Server toolkit.

> So, did you find out about CORBA yet?
>
> tom

Hi,

nice to hear from you ...
-> you are a CORBA fan ...

2 major points again CORBA:

1. libmsgque does more than CORBA, I call it
an application server toolkit ..
if you read the docs than you'll find it out

2. the job, I earn my money with, is to take-over
an "old" project (I call it so) and I convert it back to
a "living" project -> most projects in the world are "old"
projects started as "high technical project" and end as
something that the people used to live with and not
want to. One of my last projects, I turned into a
"living" project, was a client/server app based on CORBA
-> I don't want to annoy you with the glory details,
but just the decision to use CORBA (an implementation
of a well known software vendor) add an extra TCO
(total cost of ownership) of 3 million euro payed
by the customers -> they don't want to use CORBA anymore

-> this is, in fact, the only reason which count

mfg

Andreas Otto

Tom Anderson

On Wed, 13 May 2009, Andreas Otto wrote:

> Tom Anderson wrote:
>
>> On Tue, 12 May 2009, Andreas Otto wrote:
>>
>>> What is LibMsgque
>>> =================
>>>
>>> LibMsgque is an OS independent, Programming Language independent and
>>> Hardware independent solution to link applications together to act like a
>>> single application. Or with other words, LibMsgque is an
>>> Application-Server toolkit.

>> So, did you find out about CORBA yet?

> nice to hear from you ...
> -> you are a CORBA fan ...

I wouldn't say that! I think CORBA had gone out of fashion before i
started shaving ...

> 2 major points again CORBA:
>
> 1. libmsgque does more than CORBA, I call it
> an application server toolkit ..
> if you read the docs than you'll find it out

I had a bit of a read, and it looked like a small but useful CORBA subset
plus some interesting tools.

> 2. the job, I earn my money with, is to take-over
> an "old" project (I call it so) and I convert it back to
> a "living" project -> most projects in the world are "old"
> projects started as "high technical project" and end as
> something that the people used to live with and not
> want to. One of my last projects, I turned into a
> "living" project, was a client/server app based on CORBA
> -> I don't want to annoy you with the glory details,
> but just the decision to use CORBA (an implementation
> of a well known software vendor) add an extra TCO
> (total cost of ownership) of 3 million euro payed
> by the customers -> they don't want to use CORBA anymore
>
> -> this is, in fact, the only reason which count

Wow. That's a striking story. Could you share some of the gory details?
What were the problems with CORBA?

From what i know of the field, the real sticking point has always been
interoperability: an ORB from vendor A won't work will with one from
vendor B, or vendor X's binding to language P doesn't work with vendor Y's
binding to Q, or something like that. Of course, with your library,
there's no interoperability problem because there's only one vendor, you,
but you can always (well, usually) single-source a CORBA solution, too.
And there have been enough big, serious projects done with CORBA that we
know it *can* be done.

But clearly, your experience is that CORBA can go very badly wrong, so i'm
interested to learn why!

tom

--
If it ain't broke, open it up and see what makes it so bloody special.

Andreas Otto

Tom Anderson wrote:

> On Wed, 13 May 2009, Andreas Otto wrote:
>
>> Tom Anderson wrote:

>>> So, did you find out about CORBA yet?

>> nice to hear from you ...
>> -> you are a CORBA fan ...

> I wouldn't say that! I think CORBA had gone out of fashion before i
> started shaving ...
>
>> 2 major points again CORBA:
>>
>> 1. libmsgque does more than CORBA, I call it
>> an application server toolkit ..
>> if you read the docs than you'll find it out

> I had a bit of a read, and it looked like a small but useful CORBA subset
> plus some interesting tools.
>
>> 2. the job, I earn my money with, is to take-over
>> an "old" project (I call it so) and I convert it back to
>> a "living" project -> most projects in the world are "old"
>> projects started as "high technical project" and end as
>> something that the people used to live with and not
>> want to. One of my last projects, I turned into a
>> "living" project, was a client/server app based on CORBA
>> -> I don't want to annoy you with the glory details,
>> but just the decision to use CORBA (an implementation
>> of a well known software vendor) add an extra TCO
>> (total cost of ownership) of 3 million euro payed
>> by the customers -> they don't want to use CORBA anymore
>>
>> -> this is, in fact, the only reason which count

> Wow. That's a striking story. Could you share some of the gory details?
> What were the problems with CORBA?
>
> From what i know of the field, the real sticking point has always been
> interoperability: an ORB from vendor A won't work will with one from
> vendor B, or vendor X's binding to language P doesn't work with vendor Y's
> binding to Q, or something like that. Of course, with your library,
> there's no interoperability problem because there's only one vendor, you,
> but you can always (well, usually) single-source a CORBA solution, too.
> And there have been enough big, serious projects done with CORBA that we
> know it *can* be done.
>
> But clearly, your experience is that CORBA can go very badly wrong, so i'm
> interested to learn why!
>
> tom

hi,

you are good ... you got the points

no interoperability special if more the one language, different hardware
and different OS are involved ..

you stick to a single vendor

and if you have a growing environment...
the vendor start to press money from you ...

that is enough to tell...

mfg

Andreas Otto