Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Usb adapter

Usb adapter

Andy Petro

Which wireless usb adapter has the longest transmission range . I need about
300 feet.

Evan Platt

On Mon, 11 May 2009 18:05:34 -0400, "Andy Petro"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Which wireless usb adapter has the longest transmission range . I need about
>300 feet.

Wireless - wireless what? Internet? Keyboard? Mouse? Something else?

300 feet - clear shot, no obstructions? Walls? What material?

Assuming you mean WiFi, You can try a USB adapter 802.11n, with well
placed antennas.

Mike Easter

Andy Petro wrote:
> Which wireless usb adapter has the longest transmission range . I need
> about 300 feet.

Presuming that you are talking about a wifi usb dongle for something, say
a laptop...

In almost all environments, that range isn't going to happen.

What exactly are you trying to do? Could we have an amateur level site
evaluation?

There have been contests in which one cantenna on a mast aimed at another
well constructed cantenna on a mast in line of sight, or similar
directional antennas with significant gain and a similar clear view have
had good connectivity over quite a range, a great deal more than 300'.

--
Mike Easter

Evan Platt

On Mon, 11 May 2009 15:28:19 -0700, "Mike Easter" <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>Presuming that you are talking about a wifi usb dongle for something, say
>a laptop...
>
>In almost all environments, that range isn't going to happen.

But... that can't be! Some of RtS's trucker friends have used WiFi
over like 20 miles! On just a normal laptop! No really!

PeeCee

"Andy Petro" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:gua7eg$4in$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Which wireless usb adapter has the longest transmission range . I need
> about 300 feet.

The longest range is achieved with the best antenna's.
Most of the USB WiFi adapters have piddly little antenna's etched onto the
curcuit board.
This means poor range.

However if you read up this website:
http://www.usbwifi.orconhosting.net.nz/
You will see how to adapt a USB WiFi adaptor to have a range reaching
Kilometers!
And all very cheaply.

BTW if you want neat and tidy the only way I know is to get something with
an Antenna socket and buy a commercial Antenna like this:
http://www.pbtech.co.nz/index.php?item=NETTPL2414

Best
Paul.

Andy Petro

"PeeCee" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:guacua$83k$(E-Mail Removed)...
> "Andy Petro" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:gua7eg$4in$(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Which wireless usb adapter has the longest transmission range . I need
>> about 300 feet.
>>

> The longest range is achieved with the best antenna's.
> Most of the USB WiFi adapters have piddly little antenna's etched onto the
> curcuit board.
> This means poor range.
>
> However if you read up this website:
> http://www.usbwifi.orconhosting.net.nz/
> You will see how to adapt a USB WiFi adaptor to have a range reaching
> Kilometers!
> And all very cheaply.
>
> BTW if you want neat and tidy the only way I know is to get something with
> an Antenna socket and buy a commercial Antenna like this:
> http://www.pbtech.co.nz/index.php?item=NETTPL2414
>
> Best
> Paul.

> Sorry I forgot to mention that I meant Wi-Fi ,Networking like Airlink or
> Netgear .

Evan Platt

On Mon, 11 May 2009 20:27:24 -0400, "Andy Petro"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>> Sorry I forgot to mention that I meant Wi-Fi ,Networking like Airlink or
>> Netgear .

Please quote properly, and then go back and read all of the replies
again. They answered your question.

sandy58

On May 12, 12:37*am, "PeeCee" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> "Andy Petro" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>
> news:gua7eg$4in$(E-Mail Removed)...
>
> > Which wireless usb adapter has the longest transmission range . I need
> > about 300 feet.

> The longest range is achieved with the best antenna's.
> Most of the USB WiFi adapters have piddly little antenna's etched onto the
> curcuit board.
> This means poor range.
>
> However if you read up this website:http://www.usbwifi.orconhosting.net.nz/
> You will see how to adapt a USB WiFi adaptor to have a range reaching
> Kilometers!
> And all very cheaply.
>
> BTW if you want neat and tidy the only way I know is to get something with
> an Antenna socket and buy a commercial Antenna like this:http://www.pbtech.co.nz/index.php?item=NETTPL2414
>
> Best
> Paul.

Hey, thanks for the interesting links, PeeCee

Centre Parting

Evan Platt wrote:
> On Mon, 11 May 2009 18:05:34 -0400, "Andy Petro"
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>> Which wireless usb adapter has the longest transmission range . I
>> need about 300 feet.

> Wireless - wireless what? Internet? Keyboard? Mouse? Something else?

Dongle, dumkopf !

> 300 feet - clear shot, no obstructions? Walls? What material?
>
> Assuming you mean WiFi, You can try a USB adapter 802.11n, with well
> placed antennas.

PeeCee

"sandy58" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
On May 12, 12:37 am, "PeeCee" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> "Andy Petro" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>
> news:gua7eg$4in$(E-Mail Removed)...
>
> > Which wireless usb adapter has the longest transmission range . I need
> > about 300 feet.

> The longest range is achieved with the best antenna's.
> Most of the USB WiFi adapters have piddly little antenna's etched onto the
> curcuit board.
> This means poor range.
>
> However if you read up this
> website:http://www.usbwifi.orconhosting.net.nz/
> You will see how to adapt a USB WiFi adaptor to have a range reaching
> Kilometers!
> And all very cheaply.
>
> BTW if you want neat and tidy the only way I know is to get something with
> an Antenna socket and buy a commercial Antenna like
> this:http://www.pbtech.co.nz/index.php?item=NETTPL2414
>
> Best
> Paul.

Hey, thanks for the interesting links, PeeCee

Your welcome.
P.