Velocity Reviews > General Computer Discussion > General Computer Support > Format Drive ''C''

Format Drive ''C''

ren_2009 ren_2009 is offline
Junior Member

Hi,
I wanna ask a question about how can we format drive C.
Summary- My hard disk capacity is 40 gb and my comp is having drive C, D, E, F and A .
In drive C I had installed win 2003 server, In drive D- I have kept for downloading softwares .Drive E I had installed win xp sp3, Drive F for cd rom , Drive A-Floppy.
Now my question is that I want to format drive C and keep only one operating system ie win xp in drive E, is it possible to do that if yes can you guide me for performing this action so that I can format drive C from drive E. Thank you !

PhilTechPowerPC PhilTechPowerPC is offline
Junior Member

Insert your XP cd into your CD rom drive
Reboot your PC,
On re-start hit your delete key(for most pc's) otherwise find out what key to hit during boot to enter your bios.
go to boot device priority options select your cd/dvd rom drive to boot 1st(make it first in list)
save and exit bios
it will automatically reboot your pc now as your pc starts you get the option to hit any key to boot from cd(hit a key)
let windows load up and select install a new copy
do not install to C:
Hit escape, at this point you should see a listing of your installed drive and partitions.
you can highlight the drive/partition you wish to be deleted select hit (D)
Usually (L) after that
Now you have deleted information of the selected area
pull cd from drive hit (f3) to quit setup
(f3) again pc will reboot
let your operating system boot and you will be able to format drive partition from operating system environment.

I know long winded!

torontolife torontolife is offline
Member

Firstly I think you can easily format the required partition when you boot up in XP even.

Secondly, I would advise that you rename the volume label of the C: drive to something like FORMAT or anything which will allow you to identify it corrctly when booting from the XP CD. Can't afford a mix-up here!

lineravi lineravi is offline
Junior Member
Location: India

Good Morning sir,
My Name is Ravi Anand. I've understood ur problem. you want to format drive C in which you have installed win2003 server. for formating you need to use win2003 server's CD. first of all you use this CD to remove you OS from drive C then formet that. If still you are facing problem to format drive C then you can contect me on +919891824595.